“Weaving Purpose: My Evolution of working to becoming a Social Worker”

posted in: Uncategorized | 0

Like many, my story of becoming a social worker comes from my experiences. I grew up in Northern Idaho and American Samoa but have been in Alaska for years and truly call it home. I have navigated through the storms of financial hardship, single parenthood, the grasp of domestic abuse, and the pangs of grief. Yet, these very trials forged my resolute path toward social work.

As I stand on the verge of pursuing my degree and working toward my clinical licensure, I reflect upon social work’s broad prospects. This field isn’t just about professional advancement but heartfelt connections and profound impact.
Raising children with special needs, facing family mental health issues, and grieving the loss of loved ones all these experiences have fortified my resilience and perseverance. These aren’t mere concepts; they are the essence of my interactions, silently assuring those I aid that resilience is an inborn strength within us all.

Choosing social work was a thoughtful reorientation, nurtured by genuine conversations with colleagues, recognizing a fervent mission of mine. Social work is a field that dissolves boundaries and cultivates growth, offering a wide professional landscape to serve our deeply intertwined communities.

Ethical practice is a guiding light in this journey, navigating the complex human experiences we encounter. It cements us to our core principles, guaranteeing we honor and uphold the dignity and rights of those we serve. This commitment to ethics is about embracing a collective vision of nourishing positivity and averting harm.

My day-to-day mantra revolves around diligence, honesty, continuous growth, the power of apology, and a commitment to help others unlock their potential. It embodies the sentiment that life is an ongoing lesson and that through our errors, we seek enlightenment.

The evolution I seek is not limited to accumulating wisdom or refining skills; it’s about enhancing my comprehension, which stretches from the breathtaking landscapes of Alaska to the vast human experiences that transcend cultural and geographical barriers.

Cultural insight is particularly crucial in my current residence, Prince of Wales Island, where I experience the richness of diverse cultures in daily life, enriching my practice and deepening respect for the community’s dynamic spirit.

Amid my professional pursuits, I find serenity in pottery, an activity distinct from my career yet providing quiet reflection, counterbalancing the emotional intensity of my work. Such pursuits are a haven from the societal complexities we navigate.

I like to look at life using the analogy of a resilient and growing tree amid relentless storms; there could not be a more apt analogy for my life’s experience. It symbolizes the deep-rooted belief that we stay anchored, ever-growing despite life’s turbulences.
As I look forward to the future, as a lifelong learner, I succinctly embody the core of my personal and professional explorations, a constant reminder that every hardship, decision, and moment of happiness presents a valuable lesson, nurturing my professional growth. I nurture my growth also within my current work in Behavioral Health, providing service to clients with case management; I decided to finish my degree to continue to be able to help people with more knowledge.

As I navigate my social work career, I bring a wealth of experience, a fervor for the knowledge yet to be uncovered, and an unwavering aspiration to initiate a wave of positive impact in the lives I reach and the lives I will reach.

Growing up in beauty of Northern Idaho and the rich cultural backdrop of American Samoa, my life seamlessly fused distinct cultures, influencing my perspectives from an early age. My journey involved growing up with a mother battling mental health issues, experiencing varied caretaking environments, and discovering independence at a young age. These life events beyond my control fueled my resolution to effect change and weld my future within social work.

Over time, I confronted numerous adversities, from solo parenting four children, circumventing domestic violence cycles, and raising children with unique needs to pursue livelihoods that put food on the table. These led to the clarity of my life’s purpose to assist others. While events like the COVID-19 pandemic upended many lives, it also steered my passion toward behavioral health, reinforcing my commitment to this profession.

My academic pursuits initially centered on special education, driven by my life’s encounters and work experiences. Yet, open dialogues and professional reflections prompted my shift to social work, a path resonant with my inner calling and intentions. As I envision extending my contributions to the Prince of Wales Island community, my enthusiasm for continued learning and broadening my capacity to aid as a nascent social worker swells.

Embarking on this introspective journey, I evaluate my past, present, and prospective selves. I ponder on my identity, recognizing who I have been and envisaging who I am to become. This process of self-discovery remains integral to effective social work and to life itself, where the true voyage lies not in arriving at a destination but in the ever-evolving process of learning and becoming.