Reflecting with Amana Mbise

posted in: Uncategorized | 0

For the podcast this week, the discussion will be about the man Amana Mbise who was the guest for this episode. Amana has a Ph.D. in social work having graduated in 2017 from the University of Illinois and got his MSW back in 2012 from the same university and got his original Bachelors degree in 2005 from the university of Dar es salaam. Amana helps deal with global health issues; HIV and malaria in particular. As well as helping refugees and communities in Tanzania, Denmark and the United States. He also developed his own scholarship for those who focus on issues such as human trafficking. In regards to Alaska, he has helped Black Alaskans and their health needs. With the help of the Anchorage Health Department, he assists Black Alaskans health and general needs in the community.

The host for this episode was by a man named Christian Ace Stettler. On top of hosting this podcast, he is also currently a teacher at the University of Alaska Fairbanks teaching multiple classes. One such class is one that I am currently in, Social Work 103. Christian Stettler currently has his MSW and is a Ph.D. candidate from his efforts in social work. He created this podcast in a way to share many stories through the perspective of his guests by initiating and partaking in unique dialogue that tells different values and exactly what they mean. His main goal is to help influence the world through this podcast, through all of the viewers, through all of these episodes. He wants to spread the message of analyzing critical social work by analyzing it himself, and has is guests and then his audience do the same. The podcast is a pretty great time and I would recommend it to anyone ranging from whoever wants a positive message or just wants to think more critically.

To reflect on the podcast, I think the motivation and upbringing in regards to social work of Amana Mbise is really cool. Hearing how professor Nathan was the reason he took the path he did. Plus his cultural upbringing is another good motivation to helping the black communities such as Black Alaskans. I think it’s a good idea to have his kids learn as their first language be Amana’s first language or their native language. It helps put into perspective that his stories are very similar to many other cultures in the modern era. Such as the Alaska Native cultures where English is becoming he primary language of more and more tribes rather than their native languages. It goes to show how much influence the world has today over tribes all over the world. As far up north as Alaska and even much, much lower. It’s also very reassuring that Amana is so aware of the global issues involving trafficking because of how serious it is. Some of the things were things I would not have known maybe even in this lifetime if he hadn’t mentioned it, so it should also go to show that the man has done his research. all in all, I thought Amana Mbise was a phenomenal guest and the guests themselves asked him really good questions. Some of his continuations to the questions were also thought provoking, such as when he asked the guests if they would be willing to leave what they find comfortable and venture more into the unknown to also initiate change themself. There comes a time when people like Amana need to initiate change and do the legwork that’s required to do such changes. I think he is a strong pillar that can help influence many others. He, like everyone else may not be able to get everyone on board but there is still hope to get some hits and create better people that move for better things.

Link to the episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSNo6Qc9XE4

Link to Amana Mbise’s Bio: https://www.uaa.alaska.edu/academics/college-of-health/departments/school-of-social-work/faculty-and-staff/mbise-amana.cshtml

Christian Stettler Info: https://www.uaf.edu/socwork/faculty/

Critical Social Work Info: https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-critical-social-worker-christian-ace-fbviPTj5JHl/