Pieces of Me, Peace Within Me

posted in: Uncategorized | 6

My name is Myah Sundby, I’m 23 and from Dillingham and Eagle River, AK.

My desire in life is to change lives. This belief has been a part of me for as long as I can remember, and it has become more important to me as I have grown into adulthood. Though I do it subconsciously, I have noticed it holds more weight than ever.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Despite 20 years of mental and physical abuse, I have found and learned to love the person I am today. I have two older brothers and my parents. One of my parents deals with bipolar disorder, as well as a brother. That brother sexually assaulted me as a child. One Grandparent on each side of our family is diagnosed with bipolar. Regrettably, my grandmother lost multiple siblings and their children to suicide after she immigrated to the U.S. from Germany. Mental health in my family is a heavy topic. Since I kept myself hidden and had a natural sense of giving and sacrifice, I became the family pack mule for problems. I accepted and carried this responsibility into adulthood. But this frustrated me, and I would lash out in anger and pain, not understanding the onslaught of emotions battling inside me. I even depended on alcohol and drugs for a while.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Photo from tinysquiddesigns

You conceive your world in your mind and then create it with your hands

Chris Widener

My family are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, also known as Mormons. Mormonism is an adopted generational religion in my family, and it is the revolving center of their lives, which makes it an unescapable center of my life as well. As a child, I knew I did not want to continue practicing the religion, but leaving the church was not an option. I learned how to survive while forcibly stuck in this religion and the abuse. To my detriment, I got so good at it that I had no idea what life was like outside of surviving. I didn’t have a clue who I was. One day, everything changed; I let go and chose myself.

Photo from DeviantArt, Vocal Media

You can see the invisible, feel the intangible, and achieve the impossible.

Winston Churchill

I left the church when I was 17, which led to a tumultuous but necessary journey. I was disowned and sleeping in my car, but my family would tug me back only to discard me again, so the pattern continued. Despite this, I was dual-enrolled and graduated from college and high school courses. I later moved to St. George, Utah, to continue my college education. I honestly thought this would solve my problems, but it only masked and emphasized them. Confused and still stuck in survival mode, I moved to Logan, Utah, to be closer to family. My brothers lived there at the time. If you’re wondering, this was not the answer either! I returned home to Alaska, where I joined the Alaska Air National Guard, undergoing military training and college courses for a year in Texas. Texas provided a much-needed shift in my life, and I found myself in a safe space. I finally took a good look at myself, which kickstarted my healing journey.

I returned to Alaska soon after, and that is when I met my charming and fantastic husband, Jack. (If you think I’m bluffing, you should try his cooking). I was working three jobs then and was so enthralled with my podcasts, journals, books, and TED Talks on self-help that I declined his dates! It’s funny that I refused his dates, but it’s also critical. Instead of pouring myself into someone else, I had a rebirth of my soul, mind, and body. I was in discovery of finding myself, and eventually, I defined who I am. It fills me with such joy to revisit this. Jack and I later started dating, fell in love, and married. Oh, and we got a dog, Milo. He is the second love of my life. Jack taught and showed me what a healthy relationship should look like, which complemented and added to my personal growth. I am grateful to have a steady and loving partner who wants to learn, challenge, and grow together.

I believe social work is not just a career but a lifestyle, embodying all that is good and helping those in need.

Photo from Saatchi Art

mentioned earlier, my desire in life is to change lives. I have an unexplainable passion for exploring introspection, growth, healing, and more. At the root and core of who I truly am, I want to use my good to build up and help others. My personal development led me to the field of social work. I believe social work is not just a career but a lifestyle, embodying all that is good and helping those in need. My values, beliefs, and trials have made me think I may be a good fit. I don’t know which path I will take in social work; I might even try out more than one.

EXPERIENCES THAT SHAPE ME ALONG MY JOURNEY LEAD ME TO PAUSE AND REFLECT ON WHERE I AM FROM AND THOSE THAT HAVE HELPED ALONG THE WAY. I AM GRATEFUL MY GRANDMOTHER PRESERVED AND SHARED GERMAN CULTURE WITH OUR FAMILY AND STAYED ON THIS EARTH DESPITE SIGNIFICANT LOSS. HER EXAMPLE TAUGHT ME INDEPENDENCE AND FAITH. MY MARRIAGE HAS TAUGHT ME TRUST, INTENTIONALITY, AND APPRECIATION. ABUSE TAUGHT ME TO FIND AND USE MY VOICE ASSERTIVELY YET UNAPOLOGETICALLY. IT ALSO TAUGHT ME EMPATHY, AUTHENTICITY, AND RESILIENCE. I ACKNOWLEDGE BUT NO LONGER HARBOR TRAUMAS. EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON, AND OUR NEW SELF GAINS NEW INSIGHT, WHICH WE CAN USE AS TOOLS FOR GOOD.

At the end of the day, I am proud of who I have become so far. I went through hell and back a few times to get here. My goal is to be better than my yesterdays, which sounds cheesy, but it is true! This mindset pushes me to be better for myself and those around me. Ultimately, that is who I want to become. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Photo from Tiny Buddha

6 Responses

1. Tesha Hudson

Good day Myah! Your post was written so eloquently. When you said “I believe social work is not just a career but a lifestyle, embodying all that is good and helping those in need”, I found myself shaking my head yes in agreement. That was such a perfect way to put how I have been feeling into words, so thank you for that. The artwork you placed throughout your post was lovely! I’m looking forward to learning, and growing with you.

• Myah Sundby

Hello Tesha, thank you for such a kind comment! It is funny how I had that phrase in my head before watching the videos for class this week, and the videos only confirmed my feelings. I am so glad to have found a way of making it make sense for you! I have a very creative side, and I had a lot of fun unleashing it for this assignment; thank you for noticing(: I, too, look forward to learning and growing with you; that is beautifully said.

2. Madison Sawyer

I really loved your blog post. Your words flow and the imagery as well as color are all so captivating. Its always nice to know after someone has struggled in life so much, they can come out of the other side of the tunnel and admit that it was hard, but not let those things hold them back in the long run. Thank you for sharing.
    P.S. your dog is adorable.

• Myah Sundby

Hi Madison! I just wanted to say thank you so much for your kind words. I’m grateful I’ve had time and opportunities to find a positive spin on things. I like the thoughts you added; they are so true. And your compliment about Milo made my day; thank you!

3. Joshua Escobedo

Hello Myah,
    What a fantastic blog! I enjoyed the effort you put into the format. Your message is inspiring and proves that human beings have incredible resiliency. It is clear that your values are significant in your decision-making process, and I find it fascinating that you were able to start your healing journey so early in your life. It is wonderful to hear that you have found love with a similar outlook and drive. Milo is so adorable.

• Myah Sundby

Hi Joshua! Thank you very much for your feedback; it was incredibly thoughtful. I’m glad that you appreciated the details in my story that I wove through the photos and colors. I agree; it’s amazing to make such discoveries so early. It’s a friendly reminder and bittersweet blessing that this has begun so soon in my life. I believe it’s just the beginning, which brings me hope. I appreciate your kind words and adore my little big guy, Milo. Thank you again!