Kitusia? (Who am I?)

posted in: Uncategorized | 3

My name is Kaylila and I am from the village of Kasigluk, Alaska.

Waqaa! (Hello!) My Yup’ik name is Kak’gailnguq, I am named after an elderly person who passed his name Kalila Slim. In my Yup’ik culture, it is believed that a person can be reincarnated, to be born into the world again. From my perspective, I believe that I do carry him with the name that was given to me. When I was in my mom’s belly my mother would have dreams about him. One day she was on the phone with my grandmother and my mother told her about him showing up in her dreams. After she got off the phone with her she looked down and told me that I would be named after him. After that, he did not show up in her dreams again.

In my Yup’ik Culture when we introduce ourselves we usually tell the person who we are, who our parents and grandparents are, and where we are from. I’ve already mentioned my name and where I am from. My parents are Laranell and Katherine Johnston. My paternal grandparents are Zacharias and Doris Slim and my maternal grandparents are Andrew and Elizabeth Sergie. I am the eldest of four siblings and I am sure that they look up to me.

Paternal Grandparent (Left) Maternal Grandparents (Right)

My parents

Yugnikeknganka (My friends)

My best friends are Layla and Nolan we’ve been friends since I was six years old. Since my father was ordained to the priesthood before he resigned we’d move from village to village. I met my best friends when I moved to Kipnuk, Alaska. We all would do what best friends would do, we were always together and we did everything together. I remember those days we’d spent playing outside, rain or shine. My best friends were a gift from the Creator because without them here or in my thoughts I don’t know where I would be in life. It was sad when we heard the tragic news that our best friend Nolan Mike Slim had gone and departed from us in this world. He was such a sweet and innocent young man. I did not get to see him alive for the last time but I was amazed that he was with Layla and had told her that he would not be coming home from the camping trip they’re family planned. We were puzzled when he said these exact words, “I will not be coming home but you both will have each other.” To this day I am best friends with Layla and we carry our beloved Nolan with us in our hearts.

Cultural background

I love being a part of my Yup’ik culture. I grew up with a big family and they’ve taught me how to subsist from the land and waters. Traditionally, women stay home, gather medicinal plants, cook, clean, and take care of the family and that is what I was taught to do. I’ve always wanted to go hunting with my dad but he’d say that wasn’t my role. I understand that he was just trying to keep me safe and I know that he wanted to be the one to provide. I am of age now but with no knowledge about hunting, I don’t think I’d want to do it. Although, I have grown fond of taking care of fish and picking berries. Besides subsistence, I’ve learned and I am still learning how to speak the Yup’ik language and I do believe that I am proficient. In my spare time, I love to yuraq (Eskimo dance), drum, and sing.

Why Social Work?

During my first year of college, I took an Introduction to Addictive Processes course. My major is undeclared but I do think that I have developed a passion for psychology. I have grown more curious about the subject and that is why I am taking this course. There are many social workers in schools in the rural villages of Alaska. I am unsure of what career path I’d like to take but I certainly have social worker on the list.

QUYANA! (Thank you!)

3 Responses

1. Mindy Haley

Seeing your Yup’ik words in writing brings a smile to my face. I remember living in Saint Mary’s and hearing the calls of “Good Morning” ringing out over and over on the VHF radio when families were split between fish camp and home. I do not know how to say or spell the word in your language, maybe you’d like to share. I was coached time and again how to pronounce quyana, and I promise I tried really hard. I love how much is being undertaken in recent years to preserve native languages in Alaska and throughout the world. Congratulations for learning to speak the Yup’ik language. Being multilingual is a real asset to anyone, but it seems especially valuable in the Social Work field.

2. Kaylila Johnston

Hi Mindy!

I appreciate your comment and I am glad that the words in Yup’ik brought a smile to your face. I too remember days when people in my village would announce on the VHF. I am proud of you for trying! We all learn and make mistakes but that is a part of life’s journey. My first language was English and when I met a person who only spoke Yup’ik we had to learn each other’s language to be able to understand each other. I made mistakes with pronunciations and people would laugh at me but I was told by a wise man that I shouldn’t take it personally and that I should laugh along with them. To this day I am still learning new words and I do hope to keep the Yup’ik language going.

3. Ariel Oviatt

Hello Kaylila,

You have such a unique and wonderful story. I found the tidbits about your culture incredibly fascinating and hope that you’ll give us the privilege of seeing more of this during the course. I’m from Michigan, so it isn’t often that we get to hear about or see subsistence living and culture in a way that isn’t from a show or some other such media. Your skills are invaluable, and have been lost in many other places elsewhere in the United States.

The way your mom chose your name is a beautiful tribute to those who have moved on.

Social work sounds like a great start if you have an interest in psychology. Is there a particular topic of psychology that interests you more than the others?