Don’t Stay Neutral

posted in: Uncategorized | 7

I agree with Kendi when he states that you can either be racist or antiracist. I believe being race-neutral is only feeding the racist systems that are already in place. Expecting non-white racial groups to be fully equal without first treating them differently is very simple-minded. If a group of people have been held back for centuries and centuries it is virtually impossible for them to catch up unless they are given proper resources to do so. This means we must discriminate against one group to allow this disadvantaged group to catch up. Discrimination is simply making a distinction in favor or opposition of a certain group. So we must take a moment within our policies and ideas to favor non-white Americans to create true equity.

Within the social work field or as social workers we are here to create change. This change doesn’t have to be just person-to-person; it can also be within communities and within government. Kendi’s idea that we can only be racist or antiracist says that we may not stand still and think that is going to do anything. It forces Americans to become active and make changes within the community and government. If social workers take Kendi’s Idea that there is no neutral ground there will constantly be changes happening within our systems. Which inherently is the goal of social work, to make change.

To relate this idea on a deeper level we can look at racism within Alaska Native communities. From the beginning of Alaska’s history and even when Russia owned Alaska the rights of Alaskan natives to own their land were stolen. The colonization of Alaska natives through slavery, war, boarding schools, disease, and land grabbing led to generational indigenous trauma as well as a loss of culture and language. This colonization led also to a misuse of the land, water, and fish for profitable gains. For centuries Alaska Natives were discriminated against by looking at how much native blood they had. For example, the Marine Mammal Protection Act said Alaska Natives had to have 1/4 native blood to harvest marine animals. So if a child was born “not Native enough” they couldn’t help their family hunt for substance or work with animal skins. This also raised an issue of food insecurity within the community and once again a loss of tradition and culture to pass on to their kids. Also, Alaska Native groups are not all the same. They have different ways of living and different cultures. Most of the time though in the government Alaska natives are grouped into a big category. So what might help one Alaska native community may damage another.

So when we apply social work to Alaska Native communities, as social workers we must recognize these systemic disadvantages throughout history within Alaska Natives and advocate and lift their voices. Just in 2022, we had our first Alaska Native elected to the House of Representatives. This is a major victory but it goes to show that for all this time there was that lack of representation. As social workers, we can tackle food insecurity within Alaska Native communities. whether that’s through food distribution programs or taking steps within the government to acknowledge root causes. We can also provide loans or grants for building homes or new construction. Social workers can take many steps to be anti-racist within Alaskan communities and the government.

Kendi Also brings up that being antiracist or racist is based on all of your actions, it is not a fixed aspect of you. Within Social work, we are supposed to advocate and be allies for those who need it. Being aware that every single action or inaction we make is either actively helping someone or actively hurting someone allows us to criticize how we are advocating for a certain person or group with every choice we make. As social workers, we can’t just make one good choice and then claim the title of a “good person.” We must remain consistent and active in our decisions. Showing clear allyship and not remaining neutral will allow people and communities to feel heard and understood.

When it comes to social work on a macro level we also must look at the wide variety of different races, cultures, disabilities, genders, and classes. Social workers have to account for all of these different groups and recognize that the root causes of their problems are most likely systemic. As social workers, we should see what policies are being made or ignored to create more or hold up the disadvantages to certain groups of people. Questioning policies and ideas allows us to remain active and not at a standstill. We are all here to make a change in this world and people’s lives to better them. Kendis’ idea of only being racist or antiracist advocates for a constant change within systems.

7 Responses

1. Olivia Taylor

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me, I’m sure this is something we were told when we were little either by a family member or school teacher. This is far removed from reality and has given excuse to abusive linguistic behaviors. Linguistic Racism is just one example of what can form a bias and racist narrative verbality towards culture, classification, status and worth. Linguistic Racism is an example of something that could have been implanted in us through terms that we may have learned such as in “American History” class or our grandparents. In a World of pervasive racism that comes in multiple forms it is critical to improve and change the cultural and racial education deficit.
    I agree with what Kendi states about race- neutral as well. We need to understand how our experiences have shaped our perspectives and biases and do the best we can and unlearn what we perceived as acceptable and replace that with a foundational understanding of race and its impact. In a country where we have a wrinkle of privilege to protest, we need to choose a side.
    When Kendi remonstrates how systematic racism has harmed health and significantly hosted health disparities in the black community it resonates with me how things have not changed as quickly as they should. This summer I read Bessie Smiths Biography. Bessie Smith was an African-American blues singer known as “The Empress of Jazz”. While driving one night she was in a traffic collision and when rushed to the hospital, she was turned away because she was not white. It is said, that if she received medical attention she would have survived. As of today, this is still noticeable. The health care system continues to fail to prove equal quality health care towards African Americans and ethnic minorities; given what we have just seen as recent as the Covid-19 pandemic.
    Being an Antiracist and not staying neutral is important to me as well because it is modeling, teaching and breaking systematic norms that have been stagnate due to over pathologizing. I believe that being discriminated against simply because the way you were born is one of the most traumatic things that could happen to a person. We need to protect each other and uphold egalitarian values. We can choose the roles we play.

• Kaylana Nations

Hi Olivia,
      I love that you brought up the sticks and stones quote. I think in todays world many people are finding ways to excuse their behavior’s and it has been taught throughout our whole lives. I probably heard that quote for the first time in kindergarten. Another saying that has been used a lot is that “its just not how I was raised” or something a long those lines. You brought up that there is a need to recognize you own biases in order to re-learn. The mind-set that since I was raise this way I can’t change is a big issue when it comes to racism or any discrimination. It is a way to justify not wanting to use the privilege we have in this country to change. As social workers we have to constantly be leaning throughout our entire lives and notice changes within society. The access to healthcare being denied because of ones race is also a problem people should not be staying neutral with. I’m gonna have to get that book and give it a read. I loved hearing your insight Olivia.

2. Olivia Taylor

Your Welcome Kaylana, I almost did not bring up the sticks and stones quote because others may see it not to be applied in the same way. It could have been received as a method of dealing with bullies, building a shield that they do not have the power to hurt them literally. lots of bullies frequently call names, so i believe it was based towards this; but on the other hand, words have started wars and also hate speech on social media which can then lead to violence.

3. Matti Sperry

Kaylana, you put words to a very good point. One good or helpful action isn’t an end-all-be-all kind of thing. It’s something that needs to be done consistently to make that change. Sure, that one action can make a difference but it doesn’t cause the change we need within our society. Social workers are supposed to be the enforcers of that change, or at least, the start of that change. As tough an acknowledgment as it is, social workers don’t get to be a one-deed wonder or crowned a “Good Person”. They have to be advocators constantly, neutral is not an option within their line of work.

• Kaylana Nations

Yes, Matti I definitely think being consistent in making positive changes is a great way of explaining it.

4. Michelle Trahan

Kendi’s argument for the need to choose between being racist vs. antiracist is valid. A counterargument to this that I hear a lot is why is it necessary to put a label on your beliefs. Why can’t someone stand on neutral grounds? If someone is not personally committing racist acts, then they must be antiracist, right? Two kinds of people usually present this argument. The first are those against unfair treatment of certain groups, but they also disagree with the groups that fight for them. They believe that supporting antiracism means supporting everyone, even those they disagree with. The second are those who like to keep their options open. They can go either way depending on how it benefits or disadvantages them. These are the people Malcolm X speak of in his famous quote, “A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything.”

Honestly speaking, I could somewhat see where people in group one mentioned above were coming from. In history, policies and reforms for disadvantaged groups rarely had long-term benefits. Many times, the disadvantaged were actually taken advantage of yet again. Kaylana, you touched on this when you mentioned how Alaska’s Native communities were striped of their rights via colonization, then “granted privileges” that weren’t necessarily useful. I can imagine that it’s going to take a long time to repair the damaged that’s been caused within the Native communities. What the government did to the Indigenous Peoples is a great example of the White Savior complex. Social workers must be conscious of this. We mustn’t allow ourselves to get into the mindset that disadvantaged people need us to save them. Instead, we must be the revolutionists, as Professor Stettler mentioned in our week 3 lecture, and become allies of those who need our support. That to me is what it means to be an antiracist.

Kendi gave an excellent summary of the racist vs. antiracist mindset:
    “Racist” and “antiracist” are like peelable name tags that are placed and replaced based on what someone is doing or not doing, supporting or expressing in each moment. These are not permanent tattoos. No one becomes a racist or antiracist. We can only strive to be one or the other. We can unknowingly strive to be a racist. We can knowingly strive to be an antiracist. Like fighting an addiction, being an antiracist requires persistent self-awareness, constant self-criticism, and regular self-examination.”

Kaylana, I also wanted to add that the illustrations you chose for your blog post are beautiful!

• Kaylana Nations

Hello Michelle,
      I’m glad that you brought up that we have to stay mindful when thinking disadvantaged groups “need” us to save them. Instead, we must be an ally to what that group’s needs and interests are. I also missed the analogy that the terms “racist” and “anti-racist” are like peelable name tags for our actions. That was a great analogy for why each of our actions must be criticized by ourselves and others so we remain persistent in our actions.