The Critical Social Worker: Forest Therapy

posted in: Uncategorized | 3

Zenia is the founder and clinical director of “A Little Zen” which provides supportive mental health services to clients in Uxbridge, Ontario, Canada. Zenia is a Registered Social Worker with a Bachelor of Social work, Master of Social work, a psychotherapist, Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher, Mindfulness Coach, Researcher and Storyteller. Zenia has over 15 years of experience in the field and is trained in multiple evidence-based therapeutic approaches.

Source: https://www.alittlezen.ca/our-team

Unearthing the Human Core with Zenia: A Little Zen, Story Telling and Forest Therapy

Our very own Professor Stettler aired a podcast episode with Ana Fulcher guest speaker Zenia Mihevc. During this 2 hour podcast, we have the chance to listen to different experiences from a new perspective. There are so much experiences being shared that for me personally, had brought me to a realization and a new point of view from a completely different lens. One example is also when Zenia had mentioned that covid engrained in us that we should stay inside where we are safe, so for the children who grew up in covid, being outside might actually be really uncomfortable and scary. Yet for us who grew up spending a majority of our time outside, we won’t truly understand what that might feel like.

Link to Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1X9Sdl36B4

“My passion is creating a safe space for my clients on their healing journey towards wellness… My ultimate goal is to support people as they find their own zen and integrate it in their own life”

– Zenia Mihevc

The Critical Social Worker Podcast

The Critical Social Worker: A Revolutionary Storytelling Podcast Your Story. My Story. Our Story

Mission Statement:
The Critical Social Worker podcast unfolds unique stories and diverse perspectives to foster critical dialogue, empathy, and understanding for all listeners. Through storytelling grounded in social work values, we aim to change ourselves and the world, one story at a time.

Principles:

1) Foster critical dialogue, reflection, and critical consciousness.
2) Use storytelling as a form of education.
3) Create a safe and inclusive space.
4) Focus on critical thinking, not partisan politics.
5) Uphold social work values.
6) Encourage empathy and understanding.
7) Build community and connection.
8) Highlight Indigenous ideas and experiences.
9) Facilitate transformative experiences.
10) Change our world(s).

(Podcasts by Christian Ace Settler)

We heal from trauma and pain.
We root in the present moment.
We grow towards an intentional and purposeful life.

– a little Zen

What is Forest Therapy?

In the beginning of the podcast, Zenia had shared a mindfulness experience she had as she was sitting on her front porch. It is a relatively quiet place. She sits and listens to a lot of cicada’s and birds chirping, squirrels chattering. And it was so loud yet so quiet. She described her experience as if she was separated from her thinking mind and integrating deeper to her mind body aspect. This really stood out to me because I also have had the a similar experience (though we don’t go there very often anymore) with nature bringing me to this state of mindfulness.

I grew up mainly in the villages and moved around quite a bit when I was younger. We bounced back and forth from Marshall, Pilot Station, and Bethel for a few years. Everywhere we went, I learned to embrace my outdoor environment and community. We spent a lot of time on the river, at fish camp, traveling to other villages, and exploring the land whether we were looking for berries, traditional medicines, hunting for animals, or even just going out to step away from reality for a few hours. I learned to love everything that there was about the outdoors.

When I hear the words “Forest Therapy”, it takes me back to these memories that I had with friends and family. Camping at the cabin has become one of my all time favorite getaways. The cabin is built in a lake, surrounded by trees, tundras that are nearby, and not a single distraction around for miles. I can hear the birds chirping, see all the bugs flying around, and on the campfire there is a pot brewing fresh Mountain Tea that we just collected. Not too far from the cabin there are blueberry bushes all around. For me, being out there was therapeutic. It might be different for others but this is what forest therapy means to me. It takes me to a place of peace, calmness, happiness, and relaxation.

“And into the forest I go, to lose my mind, and find my soul”

-John Muir

3 Responses

1. Kenese Faamu

Hey Rayanne, I’ve never knew there was a thing called forest therapy until now, but I have experienced it a lot. I remember just chilling in the shade underneath a palm tree and somehow all my problems just went away, it felt as if my mind was at ease. I can definitely relate to your version of Forest Therapy, thanks for sharing.

• Rayanne Alick

Hey there! I have thought the exact same thing! I didn’t know that it was in actual thing, so I really took interest in this particular topic during the podcast. So happy to see others who have similar experiences

2. Noor Shubair

Hello Rayanne,
    Camping at a cabin sounds amazing. Being outside is therapeutic for me too. I remember that I had a semester of Yoga classes for PE credits in highschool. Trying to meditate in that class does not compare to the feeling of going to that state of mindfulness on accident when I am outside. I didn’t know it was called forest therapy though.