Blooming Through Alaska:

My Ever-Growing Journey

Growing Beyond the Horizon: My Journey Through Life’s Seasons

From the bustling streets of Detroit MI to the serene landscapes of Alaska, my life’s journey is as vast and diverse as the terrains I’ve crossed. Nature whispers a significant lesson – if something isn’t growing, it’s dead. Today, at 50, I stand as a testament to that sentiment.

My beginnings were no different from many. As a child, I dreamt, aspired, and often stumbled. There were highs, like the time I would play in the mid-west sun, and then lows, particularly the stinging words of a 6th-grade teacher who once branded me a “dummy.” Such instances cast a shadow on my aspirations. College, an avenue for growth, saw me thrice defeated, not by its challenges, but by my own self-doubt.

2018 marked a significant chapter. An accident shook my world, breaking my vertebrae, and leaving me reliant on a walker. Darkness loomed in the form of depression. The challenge wasn’t just physical, but also psychological. Amidst this personal turmoil, a new horizon beckoned – Alaska. My wife’s teaching job opened doors to this chilly frontier. From the temperate climate of Georgia, we found ourselves amidst Alaska’s frost. We initially settled in a village with just 260 souls, an experience filled with adventures like the comedic saga of my Splenda (the sugar substitute) order.

Alaska wasn’t just a shift in address. It reshaped my purpose. My role as a Behavioral Health Aide rekindled a passion buried deep within – the urge to assist, to guide, to heal. It’s ironic; I ventured into the social work realm not just to heal others but to heal myself.

Family forms the core of my existence. My parents, pillars of strength, unfortunately, departed this world without witnessing the leaps of progress I made. My journey towards a Master’s degree isn’t a mere educational pursuit, but a tribute to their memory. Through this degree, I seek to pave a brighter path for my children and grandchildren, setting a precedent of unwavering perseverance.

Alaska, my current abode, is not just a place – it’s an emotion. It mirrors life in its unpredictable weather, echoing life’s uncertainties. Yet, just as spring follows winter, hope follows despair.

My background, originating from Detroit MI to Atlanta GA and now rooted in Alaska, is embellished with family tales, traditions, and countless learnings. My faith, hobbies, and aspirations all converge to shape the man I am today. Looking ahead, my goal is clear – to earn that coveted Master’s degree, not merely as an academic accolade, but as a testament to life’s endless potential for growth.

To you, dear reader, if there’s one takeaway from my story, let it be this: always keep growing. Storms, both literal and metaphorical, will come and go. Yet, like nature, with unwavering belief and perseverance, we too can rejuvenate, thrive, and bloom.

1. Abbigale Delight Wheeler

David, I really liked your writing style in this blog, I found it engaging and entertaining to read. I am curious about your Splenda story. I agree with what you said about how it is important to always keep growing and to be open to rejuvenate, thrive and bloom. I am inspired by your connection to Alaska and your family and I too hope to one day have those kinds of connections.

• David Shelton

Simply put, the Splenda Story goes like this: I can’t have sugar, or I’d rather avoid it. So, during the cold winter months, I decided to order some Splenda. The funny thing is, it arrived right in the middle of spring! It’s like Mother Nature had a sense of humor and decided to delay my sweetener delivery until the weather got warmer.

2. Rayanne Alick

Thank you for sharing, David. Your blog is very well written and I admire all the beautiful nature content you have added. There was one part in particular that really stood out to me

“Alaska, my current abode, is not just a place – it’s an emotion. It mirrors life in its unpredictable weather, echoing life’s uncertainties. Yet, just as spring follows winter, hope follows despair.”

I found that to be a very meaningful statement and brings a whole to perspective to some. I was born and raised here in Alaska and have never thought of where we are as an emotion, but now that it has been brought to my attention, I can see how they come together.

3. Kaylana Nations

Hello David,
    I loved how you wrote about your life story with such delicacy and meaning. Your opening paragraph when you said “If something isn’t growing, it’s dead” that really stuck with me. Throughout my whole life, ever since I could think, I’ve always had an urge to grow and it’s stuck with me. No one ever told me or was a role model for me to keep growing. I guess I just decided that or that is just how my brain works. If I made a mistake I saw it as a perfect opportunity to find a new way to do a task. When I succeeded at something, don’t get me wrong I was proud, but I always knew that next time I wanted to do even more. A lot of the adults I had in my life were very stagnant in their life. They didn’t really have any urge to change or grow. They felt since they were raised a certain way that was it for them. I think the reason why I was always a “grower” is because I didn’t ever want to reach a “peak” in my life and allow it all to go down from there. I’m only 18 so I have a lot more life to live as long as I keep growing. Thank You so much for how beautifully written this blog was it really stuck with me.

• David Shelton

Hello Kaylana,

I’m thrilled to hear that my writing resonated with you, and I appreciate your kind words. It’s wonderful to hear that you share a similar drive for personal growth. It’s an incredible mindset to have, always looking for ways to improve and embracing challenges as opportunities to learn.

You’re absolutely right that many people tend to become complacent in their lives, and it’s refreshing to see someone so young, like yourself at 18, with such a strong commitment to continuous growth. There’s indeed so much life to experience and countless opportunities to learn and evolve.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and for sharing your thoughts. I wish you all the best in your journey of growth and self-discovery. Keep that “grower” spirit alive, and you’ll accomplish amazing things in life.

Warm regards,
      David