Unvealing the Truth

posted in: Uncategorized | 13

The History of Social Work

History is powerful. Digging up the past might seem meaningless but it is not. There was mistakes that were made in the past that shaped our present lives. Although, time does change and with time we all make changes. We wouldn’t want history to repeat itself so we take those mistakes and turn them into lessons.

What is Racism?

A system of structuring oppurtunity and assigning value based on the social interpretation of how one looks (which is what we all call race).

The Crowned “Founders” of Social Work

The crowned “founders” of social work were scholars that were awarded for their work on shaping the profession social work. You may ask why the word founders is quoted. It is quoted because these crowned “founders” were not the only people putting in the work when the profession of social work was being created. It is unfair that the Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) Contributions were not accredited alongside these scholars. Why weren’t they accredited? They weren’t accredited because at the time of when social work was becoming a profession it was during the Jim Crow Era. At this time, “those who were ethnically different from Whites were inferior.” The BIPOC Contributions faced discrimantion when they would try to input their knowlege and ideas to these types of things like the Civil Rights movment.

Understanding and Dismantling White Sepremacy

White Sepremacy: The belief that White people constitute a superior race and should therefore dominate the society, typically to the exclusion ot detriment of other racial and ethnic groups.

Dismantling the untold truth could change the perception of the people. One perspective can convince others to move into a direction meaning ,”One small change could have a greater outcome.” It would only be fair to recognize everyone including the BIPOC contributions who have sustained the profession of social work and social wefare.

“We together can dismantle the system and put in its place. A system which all of us can know our full potential and have the oppurtunity to develop our full potential.”

– Camara Jones

13 Responses

1. Madison Sawyer

I found that the lack of accreditation towards BIPOC contributions was extremely unfair. Social work shouldn’t have been overpowered by one group, but like how you mentioned – it was because of the times. The Jim Crow Era. And how some “founders” were not the only people doing the work. Everyone should have recognition for their efforts and what they contributed. By recognizing these contributions, it may inspire more people to divulge into the field of social work.

I found your blog to be very informative. It wasn’t too much to read and the information was very straight-to-the-point. You have a great style of writing and I look forward to reading your blogs in the future.

• Kaylila Johnston

I agree, that social work should not have been overpowered by one group. However, it was the time that affected the recognition of BIPOC contributions when it was dangerous for BIPOC to use their voices to speak. Even if it was dangerous BIPOC had the courage to speak up for future generations. Indeed, I do think we’d want more people to get into the field of social work.

2. Brendon Mowery

Hey Kaylila,

I really enjoyed reading your blog. I liked what you said about looking back on our past mistakes and learning from them. People often say that we should not live in the past because we live in the present. While this is true, we should be careful not to completely discredit and forget about the past. 18th Century poet William Wordsworth said this,

“Life is divided into three terms – that which was, which is, and which will
    be. Let us learn from the past to profit by the present, and from the present,
    to live better in the future.”

I agree that it is totally unfair and unnecessary that the BIPOC contributors were not given any credit or notice for their work. I don’t know how someone can just completely neglect, ignore, and harm someone simply because they look different, and not think twice about it being wrong.

Great job on your blog and keep up the good work!

• Kaylila Johnston

Hello Brendon,

Thank you for sharing a quote! The past, the present, and the future are all a part of life’s journey. All of our stories matter, we all matter. I agree, I don’t understand why someone would despise another person for the way they look. We are all unique in our own ways and it is not wrong to be who we truly are.

3. David Shelton

Kaylila, thank you for your illuminating post that dives deep into the unspoken truths embedded in the history of social work. Your exposition on the untold stories and overlooked contributions of BIPOC individuals underscores a critical gap that needs addressing. Racism and white supremacy, as structural and systemic issues, have indeed shaped the narrative, often sidelining the significant contributions made by BIPOC professionals. Acknowledging this and working to unveil these suppressed stories is crucial to fostering inclusivity, equity, and justice within the field. As Camara Jones poignantly stated, dismantling the existing system and fostering an environment where every individual is empowered to realize and develop their full potential is not just necessary but integral for the holistic evolution of social work. Every voice, story, and contribution enriches the tapestry of the profession, and acknowledging this diversity is a step towards a more equitable and just future.

4. Danelle Shellikoff

Hi Kaylila,
    I enjoy reading your blogs, which are easy for me to follow. I was interested in the “founders” and how they do not include Black, Indigenous, or People of Color.
    Sadly, history has taught us white supremacy is so prevalent. But I also see BIPOC changing how social work is viewed now and in the future. It’s sad to see how significantly rooted white supremacy has been in our history. I know there is hope in seeing how BIPOC individuals will change the perception of social work today and in the future.

We have all heard, “You will be the change we need.” In my adult years, I am finally starting to understand that statement. At least I can sit back and contemplate things that need change. Now that I am working towards my degree, I can learn how to take my thoughts and turn them into actions of change.

• Kaylila Johnston

Hello Danelle,

I believe that there is hope that the BIPOC individuals will change the perception of social work history. We are all in this together. Just like in the Disney movie Mulan, there is a quote that goes, “4 ounces can move 1000 pounds.” You can make a huge difference in this world!

5. Kelsey McFarland

Kaylila,
    Learning from the past is an integral part of constructing our future. While reading your blog, particularly concerning the accredited “founders of social work”, I found myself thinking about cultural humility and the video we watched this week, and how far we have come from then to now. Back then, the BIPOC contributors were not even considered to be given credit for their contributions to the creation of social work, and their efforts go largely unsung. I am glad that we have recognized our faults in that, and today strive for things such as cultural humility, competence, and accreditation (among many other things) in the field of social work.

6. Joshua Escobedo

Dear Kaylila,

Change is a natural part of evolution, and as you mentioned in your blog, our understanding of history plays a vital role in the success of our society. When I reflect on historical events, I must consciously set aside my personal biases. While I may not always agree with past actions, it’s essential not to let my beliefs cloud my judgment, as doing so could impact my outlook. This aligns with the professor’s message in his weekly overview video about how we can drive change. The past offers valuable lessons, and the key lies in finding ways to apply that knowledge to improve the future. Thank you for sharing.

7. Ariel Oviatt

Hello Kaylila,

Dismantling the past or, looking at the roots, if we use the analogy from this week’s video on racism would be step one in challenging the way the system currently works. I appreciate that you discussed the failure of those that came before us in documenting progress, working with communities, and so on, because had those insights been included, we would likely be much farther along. We have to be lifelong learners, as was stated previously, and from square one, the opportunity that should have existed, did not, and while now, many employers, social work related and otherwise, are trying to back pedal and fix what has already been created with committees, rules, workshops and the like, it really is not getting at the depth or the gravity of the problem.

Can you identify some important findings by BIPOC that were left out, stolen, or missed entirely?

8. Hailey Luder

Kaylila, thank you for your contribution. I do want to say that I think a lot of your thoughts and definitions could be greatly expanded upon. You could talk about how racism looks in people’s everyday lives, explain more about the history, and definitely more about how social workers fit into that. I just think that this is such an incredibly huge topic, and it shouldn’t be overlooked in any way. That’s not to say you didn’t do a good job, just something to keep in mind. I liked how you labeled very clearly your sections within your blog post, and I like that you added some artwork to help keep the reader’s attention.

• Kaylila Johnston

My sincere apologies I did not mean to overlook this in any way. I also do think I needed to work on the expansion of this huge topic. Thank you for your feedback. I am new to making blogs and I am still learning how it works. Your feedback really helped on how I could do better for the next blog.

9. Noor Shubair

Hey Kaylila,
    I like the quotes that you wove into this blog, they are very fitting. Also, I have heard about non white people not getting credited for their work. Whether it’s their ideas or advancements they have made within their field, their work is either buried or stolen. Since they didn’t receive credit in their own time, they might never, and their names are lost in history. It’s a shame because even now, there might be scholars we praise today that might have actually stolen from BIPOC, and we would never know. This always annoyed me a lot, and it’s no surprise that it happened in this field too. Even if we make an effort to make change, the wrongs in the past can’t be undone. Nothing we do can make up for how it used to be, all we can do is try to dismantle the system that caused all these issues, and allow everyone to have equal opportunities, which they were barred from before.