RAZA Y ETNIA

“Being mixed, you learn pretty quickly that you don’t judge someone on preconceived ideas of what they should be.” -Leroy Brito

As I was reading chapter three one things that stood out to me is that the author talks about multicultural backgrounds of how social work has a key role to play in establishing an antiracist society. A social worker must work for a fair-minded world on a larger platform. The goal of social work is to enhance the human well-being and help align the basic needs of every person. Whitewashing is a big problem in todays society from rewriting history to medical practices. Whitewashing is changing so many things that should not have been touched or changed in the first place. The concept of whitewashing is an attempt to stop people from finding out the true facts about a situation.

Primarily understanding of ethnocentrism and by means of what it influences our thinking and judgments. Ethnocentrism is a usually secondhand discussion in groups where ethnicity, bury ethnic connections, and related social issues are of matter. Ethnic refers to cultural heritage, and neutral ground refers to the fundamental beginning. So ethnocentrism fundamentally refers to deciding separate groups from their own cultural perspective. Even this does not address the basic issue of why people miscalculate the possible choice.

“May you look back on your story with compassion. May you embrace the wholeness of your story, recognizing that for all of the valleys that were a part of the landscape, there were open spaces and sunrises too, reminding you that no matter what was missing, tomorrow was coming, and there was more to you.”

-MHN

Some people believe that ethnicity and race are one, but that is not the fact. Race is each of the major groupings into which humankind is considered to be divided on the basis of physical characteristics or shared ancestry. Ethnicity is the quality or fact of belonging to a population group or subgroup made up of people who share a common cultural background or descent. Chapter three says “Some researchers believe that the idea of race and ethnicity has been socially constructed”. Today these race types not any more continue. Instead, on account of tactics changes, population from these groups appeared to be acknowledged into the wider “white” race. They are immediately recognized as individual ethnic groups. This shows that, like the objective of race, the concept of ethnicity again changes over time and founded on widely controlled public opinion. My race is White also my ethnicity is Hispanic.

Chapter 3 author, Sandra A. Tiffany

1. Danni

Thank you for sharing, I thought you incorporated some very beautiful pictures of art and your blog was very informative.

• Dallas Meza

Thank you Danni, I’m glad you enjoyed the presentation and the informations provided!

2. Michelle Trahan

Dallas, I loved the flow of your blog. The color scheme and images are appealing and create a serene feel.

Your explanation outlining the difference between race and ethnicity was well put. Your words above that state, “Whitewashing is an attempt to stop people from finding out the facts of a situation,” leaves some food for thought. It makes you think more critically about the redundant saying, History repeats itself. How can one truly learn from the past if much of what we know and learn from history is falsified somehow? Social workers have their work cut out for them. We must continuously evaluate history while being familiar with today’s truths.

• Dallas Meza

Thank you Michelle, When It came to ‘Whitewashing” I genuinely didn’t know what to put besides what I read. I grew up in an all white household, I’m myself am Latina. It was hard for me to find all of these understanding cause I didn’t feel as if I am the one who generally gets to relate to a lot of it.