šŸŽ„Christmas Past šŸŽ„

posted in: Uncategorized | 1

Christmas at my house isnā€™t really anything special. Neither my momā€™s side, nor my dad’s side is religious, so it kind of just feels like a weekend thatā€™s a little more relaxing than usual. On both my momā€™s and dad’s sides, my parent, step-parent, and siblings are pretty removed from our extended family, so our celebration consists of as much of a nuclear family as we can get. Thereā€™s always a plethora of gifts and an egg bake for breakfast, but there is quite a difference between spending the holiday with my mother, versus with my father, despite all the similarities. At my dadā€™s, we generally wake up and open gifts right off the bat. While everyone still has sleep in their eyes, we individually look through our stockings in the living room. My stepmom is a pro in the gift giving area and always piles up more stuff and could actually fit into a stocking by the mantle. Then we trade off being the ā€œelfā€. My brother will bring someone a present, then Iā€™ll bring one, and then my sister will, and repeat. After that we eat breakfast, and my dad and stepmom put on a basketball game while we go to our respective rooms for the remainder of the day, sneaking out for snacks every few hours. In my opinion, Christmas at my momā€˜s house tends to win out. There, we all wake up (since my siblings are younger at my momā€˜s house itā€™s always a much earlier and louder wake up call) and go look at our stockings. My mom always puts an orange in our stockings as a treat since fruit is out of season in Alaskan December. Generally the ā€œSanta giftā€ each of my younger siblings gets is a sled to share, a rope swing, or some outdoor thing of that nature. After stockings we go to eat breakfast and my mom makes cinnamon rolls along with her egg bake since my sister and I arenā€™t really big egg eaters. Then weā€™ll put on Christmas music. I was born in December and my mom listened to Christmas music in the hospital, so she always likes to start with Amy Grantā€™s ā€œBreath of Heavenā€, because thatā€™s ā€œmy songā€. Once my stepdad gets ahold of the aux, we move to ā€œGrandma Got Run Over By A Reindeerā€, almost without fail. Then weā€™ll open presents, and my mom will pretend like she doesnā€™t remember what I got her, even though sheā€™s always in the store with me when I buy it, so I make sure to get the right thing. After that, itā€™s some obligatory family time, but itā€™s nice. My mom makes beef barley soup for dinner, and no one has to change for bed because everyoneā€™s been in pajamas all day.

Christmas Past with my Mom šŸ”‡

When I was younger, we did spend time with my extended families. My parents have been separated since I was two, so thereā€™s no memorable holidays with both sides, but I do miss even seeing one side of my family sometimes. With my momā€™s mom and sisters, we used to have a baking day, a week or so before Christmas, and bake until it was cookies and bread out the wazoo. It was always a lot of work for me and even more so for my mom. She has the biggest kitchen so she always hosted. Her sisters and mom sort of held the expectation that she would pay for the baking materials because she was hosting. My mom has four kids to watch and a lot of the time when family comes over she winds up babysitting full grown adults, so that put an end to a lot of holiday events. My stepdadā€˜s family lives out of state, but for every holiday his parents send us an already opened, aptly themed bag of M&Ms.

Christmas Past with my Dad šŸ”‡

On my dad’s side, we used to go to my grandparents house every Christmas morning, but having a huge family means a lot of people to buy gifts for. Decreasing that cost, along with some disagreements on core values, led to us not going over there anymore. My stepmomā€˜s family are snowbirds so theyā€™re in Arizona for Christmas. Iā€™ve always been stuck in the middle, between my momā€™s and dadā€™s side, my dad and his extended family, and my mom and her extended family (although much less so with them). Because of this, everyone tries to move things around and really extend the season so I can make time to visit with them all. Christmas really makes me more grateful than Thanksgiving, because of everyone shuffling their lives around to make room specifically for me. My momā€˜s mom will take me on coffee dates and my dadā€˜s parents will host gingerbread man decorating and tree cutting parties, earlier in December. Since winter break is longer than Thanksgiving break, Iā€™m able to spend time with more people than I can see in November.

ā€œIn America, Santa is a caricature of what is otherwise a venerated bastion of goodwill.”

Rev. Marcus Birch

The Christmas content for this week focuses a good amount on the issue of rewarding good behavior with more presents over the holiday season. In my opinion, gifts should be heartfelt, but not always extravagant. If you value more pricey items and you and your family have the means to afford them, I think thatā€™s fantastic. The real problem is that most people donā€™t have those means, so even when a kid is ā€œniceā€ all year, they canā€™t be rewarded with more gifts.

A tidbit I like from the article ā€œThe Patron Saint of Capitalism: Parents Dream of a Less Commercialized Christmasā€ by Eric Connor was said by Rev. Marcus Birch. He said, ā€œIn America, Santa is a caricature of what is otherwise a venerated bastion of goodwill,ā€ which, from my interpretation, simply means people use Christmas as an excuse to buy stuff. Iā€™m not exempt from this, I love to get people gifts. I like to see a loved one’s face light up, assuring me that I picked out just the right thing, but it doesnā€™t always have to be more costly to have that effect. Hand-me-downs are big in my momā€˜s family. In past years, Iā€™ve given my brother one of my favorite childhood books as a gift. I made my boyfriend a quilt out of our old T-shirts, which was time consuming, but not fund consuming. Iā€™ve given my dad a sign sporting our last name, made out of license plates I found in my grandpaā€˜s barn. A modern Christmas is also quite materialistic. Another great way to give gifts is through experiences. My dad and stepmom have given my siblings and I tickets for a vacation before. On the less pricey side of that type of gift, Iā€™ve helped my sister rearrange her bedroom before as a gift, since that was something out of the ordinary of what Iā€™d do. 

All in all, I donā€™t know very much about the origins of Christmas, supposed or actual, but I really value the holiday, and all that comes along with it. The commercialization of Christmas is a problem, but the world runs on money, and I donā€™t think thatā€™s going to stop anytime soon. From a revolutionary social work perspective, I think one of the most effective ways to go about addressing this issue right now, is by trying to eliminate poverty and advocating for social justice year round.

1. Hailey Luder

Hi Devin, I really liked your post. All the photos you put in made it feel very personal, which was nice, and you included a lot about yourself and your family during the holidays. My friend also gets an orange in her stocking every year, but I’ve never heard of anyone else doing it. She’s not from Alaska, but Wisconsin, so it may be for different reasons, I’m not sure, but I thought it was interesting to note. Trying to eliminate poverty is such a huge, monumental, important task, and the consumerism in today’s society really does fuel Christmas, and I thank you for addressing that. Thank you for your contribution!