“Between Celebration and Silence: My Story of Independence Day”

A Day Off, Not a Day of Freedom For me…..

As the Fourth of July approaches, a dissonance within me grows every year. It’s a national holiday widely celebrated across the United States, but the festivities and fireworks find no echo in my heart. To many, it’s Independence Day, but I’m haunted by the consciousness that on this very day, my ancestors wore chains.

On July 4, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was adopted, heralding the birth of a nation on principles of freedom and equality. Yet, a poignant irony lies in the existence of slavery, chaining the nation’s soul. About 20% of the population were enslaved, their lives echoing the contradiction of a country fighting for liberty while denying it to millions (National Archives).

The readings provided an unnerving reminder of the disparity. Anger and frustration seethe within me, for while others commemorate freedom, I remember the shackles. This day of national jubilation is clouded by the historical reality that the chime of liberty bells did not tell everyone.

I’m a descendant of enslaved people and the son of a father who wore a soldier’s uniform. My father fought for this country in Korea amidst racial animosities. His bravery in battle was diminished under the shadow of his skin color. Similarly, enslaved Black individuals in 1776 saw the American Revolution as an opportunity to gain freedom. The British promised freedom to those who joined their cause. Thousands escaped and fought, only to be betrayed and returned to slavery after the war (American Yawp).

In my youth, attending an all-black elementary school, African Americans’ rich history and struggles were revered. However, this narrative was contradicted in an all-white high school, where our voices echoing the centuries-old struggle for acknowledgment and freedom, were silenced.

Freedom isn’t signified by the burst of fireworks on July 4 but is a daily assertion of dignity and humanity. The Fourth of July is a reminder of freedom wrested from oppression, each step declaring independence. The eloquent words of Frederick Douglass in his iconic speech, “What to the Slave is the Fourth of July?” resonate with this narrative, highlighting the dichotomy of a celebration of freedom amidst the existence of slavery (Frederick Douglass).

I harbor no resentment towards those who celebrate, for beliefs and perspectives are diverse. We each have our narratives. Every Fourth of July, as fireworks light up the sky, I’m reminded of a freedom not given but claimed. A privilege lived every moment, echoing the continuous journey of my father, a soldier, a fighter, and of every enslaved individual who lived in the haunting dichotomy of a nation born in freedom but marred by chains.

In this complex tapestry of freedom and oppression, of celebration and reflection, the Fourth of July emerges not as a universal narrative but as a multitude of stories seeking acknowledgment, understanding, and, ultimately, reconciliation.

This intricate mix of emotions isn’t isolated; it mirrors the complex and often turbulent history that African Americans have shared with the Fourth of July. It is a celebration for many, yet for others, a stark reminder of the centuries-long journey towards true emancipation—a trip marked by courage, resilience, and an unwavering quest for justice.

As we delve deeper into the history of African Americans, we confront an unsettling reality. The adoption of the Declaration of Independence, while a symbol of freedom for the colonists, did not resonate with the same vigor amongst the enslaved population. It did not mean emancipation; it did not signify equality. For them, it was a declaration of exclusion from the American dream (History Is Fun).

The haunting recollections of this past have always touched our family’s interaction with this holiday. My father’s experiences as a soldier battling a foreign adversary and racial animosities within his ranks painted our perspective. Every firework that illuminates the sky every Fourth of July, every flag that waves in the wind, holds within them the silent stories of those who bore witness to the paradox of fighting for a freedom they were denied.

Even in the resounding silence of exclusion, an unyielding spirit of resistance and hope has always characterized African Americans’ narrative. The poignant words of Frederick Douglass, a formerly enslaved person, and a formidable orator and abolitionist, articulated this painful dichotomy. In a July 5, 1852, speech, Douglass asked, “What, to the Slave, is the Fourth of July?” It was not a rhetorical question but an embodiment of the silent echoes of exclusion that reverberated through the years (The Canadian Encyclopedia).

Yet, amidst this painful narrative, there emerges a testament to African Americans’ resilience and unyielding spirit. Every obstacle faced was also a steppingstone; every denial of rights was a catalyst for the unrelenting pursuit of justice. True freedom is not marked by a single day of celebration but is embodied in the continuous journey toward equality and justice.

Like many others, my family sees the Fourth of July not as a culmination but as a waypoint in this journey. It’s a moment of reflection, an opportunity to honor the silent stories, the untold narratives, and the quiet yet resilient echoes of those who walked this journey before us. It’s not a rejection of the American dream but an affirmation of our unyielding quest to extend its promises to all citizens, irrespective of the color of their skin.

As the fireworks light up the sky this Fourth of July, it is a moment of reflection as much as a celebration—a review of a journey marked by both the chains of slavery and the unyielding spirit of emancipation. It’s an acknowledgment of a painful past and a hopeful gaze towards a future where freedom, equality, and justice are not just the echoed refrains of the Declaration of Independence but are lived experiences for all.

The Fourth of July is a complex tapestry of histories, experiences, and reflections in this expanded narrative. It’s not a monolithic narrative but a multifaceted story, where each echo of the past contributes to a richer, more inclusive understanding of freedom. Every reflection, every remembered story, and every silent echo of the past is an integral thread weaving into the larger narrative of a nation striving, still, towards the perfect union envisaged over two centuries ago.

Reference List

1. National Archives (n.d.). Declaration of Independence: A Transcription. Retrieved from https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/declaration
  2. Douglass, F. (1845). Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave. Retrieved from https://docsouth.unc.edu/neh/douglass/douglass.html
  3. The American Yawp (n.d.). The American Revolution, 1763-1783. Retrieved from http://www.americanyawp.com/text/05-the-american-revolution/
  4. History Is Fun, Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation (n.d.). Slavery and the American Revolution. Retrieved from https://www.historyisfun.org/pdf-books2/slavery-and-the-american-revolution.pdf
  5. The Canadian Encyclopedia (n.d.). Black Loyalists. Retrieved from https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/black-loyalists

1. Kaylana Nations

Thank You, David, for this beautiful reflection on the Fourth of July. Your writing has a lot of power in it. As a white individual growing up in the American public school system, I can attest to the blatant minimizing of the history of slavery. Everything I was taught about slavery was made to seem like it had been so long ago. They would teach the end of slavery and then segregation, and after both were “solved,” the world was equal. It wasn’t until I took AP US History in my junior year of high school and learned of supreme court cases and detailed descriptions of rebellions and the fowl acts that white folks induced onto black folks that I was made aware of these severities. Also, the BLM movement was the first time I was EVER made aware of police brutality. I was never taught about it; I never saw it in newspapers. Although the best outcome would be high officials changing policies and giving proper justice to these families, if anything it has raised awareness and understanding. Every week in this class, I am learning more and more about the harsh targeting of American policies on black communities, and it is very disheartening. I think these topics should be integrated into textbooks at lower schooling levels. The school systems shouldn’t minimize this history for the sake of a more patriotic American society. I also like how you said you used this holiday as a day to reflect. When these events are so prominent in society, the only way you can live with it is to reflect and see what good you can do with that knowledge.

2. Abbigale Wheeler

Hey David, I really appreciated the truthfulness of your blog this week. I have never really celebrated independence day in my life and I therefore never even stopped to consider the way that different people think about independence day because I never think about it. It is really interesting to see your point of view on this holiday considering the date we celebrate freedom is based upon a day when many people in this country were still enslaved. I do really like your view that the fourth of July is like a viewpoint to view how far we have come in this country toward the journey for freedom and equality for all and how far we still have to go. It is really important to me that on holidays, especially ones like the fourth of July, that we take this important opportunity to reflect on the past and move towards the future.