Chimera, Fantasy and the Truth

AMERICAN LEGENDS LIVE LONG LIVES
I would like to take note of the observations of the topics that we had to choose from and why I picked Thanksgiving. First of all, I noticed that two of the topics are “perceived” as heavily flag-based in America (The Fourth of July, and Thanksgiving). And the last to be heavily religious(Christmas). Many Americans have been born and raised to think that the Fourth of July marks the historic independence that was approved by the Continental Congress because they were tired of being ruled by Great Britain. Although this is an oversimplified definition and far from the truth, this is what America wants you to believe, so they can continue whitewashing the truths. More of a legend. The truth is America found a solution in stealing land and then creating an “Independence” and celebrating it on the 4th of July, embedding the image of waving American flags, smiling faces, and outdoor activities with a three-day weekend bonus. Should we expect native people to celebrate the independence of our colonizer? Not only was land stolen, but codes of regulation were put in place barring American Indians from celebrating sacred ceremonies that had been passed down for decades. It was more of a celebration of a landmark of the negative and attempted annihilation of Indian people throughout history.
The other heavily-flag-based holiday is Thanksgiving. The holiday that I recognize as the ultimate betrayal. The Wampanoag people helped the pilgrims. They helped them through starvation during the deadly winters only to in return have their people murdered and land stolen. It is still just a legend about the “feast” with the Wampanoag people. Another mask and excuse to wave the American flag.
In Braided Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer she says, “From where I stand today through the idea of asking school children to pledge loyalty to political systems seems exceedingly curious, especially since we know full well that the practice of recitation will largely be abandoned at adulthood when the Age of Reasoning has presumably been attained.
This is another example of America putting a wet band-aid on through a form of brainwashing. Another form of trying to add dignity to cove the shame they have caused to the Native Americans.
Christmas, the third holiday option is heavily associated with religion. Research shows that Christmas is primarily celebrated by Christians and Catholics. However, it’s worth mentioning that people who are not religious or do not practice faith throughout the year also celebrate Christmas. The amalgamation of religion and Christmas, along with the many stigmas surrounding Santa Claus, are concerning. One such issue is Zwarte Piet or Black Pete. Black Pete is a character from the Netherlands, and is the Dutch version of Santa Claus. This holiday tradition dates back to the early 19th century and depicts Saint Nicholas dressed in blackface. While there are other issues surrounding Christmas such as gluttony and superficiality, it’s important to bring attention to the cultural insensitivity associated with Zwarte Piet.

The holidays can be a triggering time for interpersonal trauma and emotional struggles. For me, it is a stark reminder of the childhood I wish I had. Instead, it was a frightening and harrowing experience that has shaped my life. The holidays tend to bring up feelings of shame, loneliness and longingness for what the other kids had in school. Even now, as an adult, the holidays serve as a reminder of the harsh realities of humanity and the blinders we wear to protect ourselves.
Despite my mom and her husband Brian’s financial stability, the holidays were more about their own enjoyment, attending parties, and drinking with friends. My sisters and I were often seen as a burden, and my mom would complain about having to do anything for us. Thanksgiving, in particular, was a holiday that didn’t bring any sense of gratitude or giving for me.
Having a mother with Borderline Personality Disorder I believe is especially difficult around the holidays. She was already abusive, but the stress of the holidays highlighted this. When Thanksgiving was close, she would become obsessed with cooking and force me and my sisters to help her. For a “normal family” helping your mother in the kitchen cooking around the holidays can be a little stressful as well but should also have a feeling of fun, love, and learning. My mom would slap us if we got a sprinkle of sugar on the floor. If we were measuring something and spilled a drop of milk, she would bang our heads onto the table and bang the heavy mixing bowls on our heads. She would make us sit in the kitchen and bark orders at us, taking turns beating us on the head with a closed fist. She would eventually give almost all of the food she cooked to the dogs and only give me and my sisters fruit and vegetables and tell us that we were fat. My sisters and I were so tiny, she did this all the time since I can remember until I was no longer living in the house.
As a young adult living on my own and as a vegan I also struggled when I was invited over to people house for thanksgiving or “Friendsgiving.”
In Braided sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer she says, “If we aspire to as justice for all, then let it be justice for all of creation”.
We may interoperate this differently, but I believed animals are here with us, not for us and we should not have a hierarchy status as humans beings.
Even as an adult, plastered everywhere is what the “perfect” Thanksgiving or Christmas should be.
Beautiful food spreads and decorations cover a disturbing American History. To cover our ignorance and ignore the mass murder of these animals in factory farms. Killing, plucking, stuffing, cooking, and eating is not a celebration to me. I want to make my self clear when I say mass factory farming, I am not talking about subsistence or traditional practices. I think it’s concerning what many people think is “fun”. Very often I hear people say, if you don’t like Thanksgiving or Christmas at least enjoy all of the good food; and I believe that is a blasé and irresponsible response. A day like Thanksgiving should be the loudest for activism. Maybe I was exposed to too many realities, but it is beyond a privilege to have the basics that we have in America and I truly believe that celebrating these holidays leads to more stress, crime, and segregation.
It seems counterproductive to me when a majority of people who are the most full throttle around the holidays seem to ignore many harsh realities in life and often use the saying, ” Enjoy life” or ” We are all going to die someday”.
Yes, I enjoy having fun, but I refuse to partake in a designated holiday that is covering up genocide.
I feel that these designated holidays should be days of fasting, being in a prosocial state, and activism.
We all acknowledge at some point how superficial and questionable these “holidays” are, but Christmas music, good food, and family gatherings are not enough to hold up the truths in my eyes.

1. Myah Sundby

Hey, Olivia! Eloquently and powerfully written. Thanks for sharing such a deeply personal and reflective perspective on holiday choices. It’s clear that your journey has been shaped by challenging experiences, especially during Thanksgiving. Your honesty about the complexities of family dynamics and the emotional toll of the holidays is truly moving.

It’s commendable how you’ve navigated through these difficulties and chosen to view these occasions through a lens of awareness and activism. Your stance on addressing the uncomfortable truths associated with traditional celebrations is thought-provoking. Remember, your narrative is valuable, and your commitment to justice and awareness is inspiring. Wishing you strength and resilience as you navigate this holiday season in a way that aligns with your principles and values.

2. Kaylana Nations

Thanks, Olivia, for sharing such personal values and experiences on these holidays. You wrote this blog with very powerful words and emotions. It is very admirable to see you using these times to advocate for the oppressions hidden behind these holidays and the lives of animals. It’s hard when you are put in a society where people see not celebrating these events are seen as “wrong.” For example, in the honors college, they do a Friendsgiving. I think it’s very good because many people are away from family and home, so they don’t want anyone to be alone. At the same time, the teachers advocating for this are telling people to bring all their friends and if you see someone alone, bring them with you too. Or saying how sad it is some people aren’t celebrating Thanksgiving. I think it’s very important that these educators include that if someone doesn’t celebrate this holiday or doesn’t support the celebration, we provide them with other forms of support, such as advocacy and reflection. It’s okay if people still choose to celebrate this holiday and try to include others, but others who do not celebrate shouldn’t be made to feel like they need “help” or aren’t celebrating correctly.

3. David Shelton

Olivia, your post is incredibly thought-provoking and touches on some deep and important issues surrounding the holidays, particularly Thanksgiving and Christmas. You’ve provided a well-reasoned and heartfelt critique of the way these holidays are often celebrated, highlighting their historical and cultural complexities.

Your insights into the historical context of Thanksgiving, the treatment of Native Americans, and the commercialization of Christmas resonate with many who have a critical perspective on these holidays. It’s essential to remember and acknowledge the painful histories associated with them, as you’ve eloquently pointed out.

Your personal experiences with the holidays, including the challenging upbringing you had and the difficulties you faced during Thanksgiving, shed light on how the holiday season can be a triggering time for individuals dealing with trauma and emotional struggles. It’s clear that your perspective comes from a place of deep reflection and introspection.

Your stance on veganism and the ethical considerations of the holiday feasts is also well-articulated. Many people overlook the impact of mass factory farming on the environment and animal welfare during holiday celebrations, and your call for greater awareness and activism in this regard is commendable.

Your post encourages readers to look beyond the surface and consider the broader implications and consequences of how holidays are observed. It challenges the status quo and prompts essential discussions about what these holidays mean and how they can be more meaningful and just for all. Thank you for sharing your perspective, Olivia. It’s essential to the ongoing conversation about holidays and their societal impact.