Tis the Season

posted in: Uncategorized | 4

During my childhood, the holiday season held a special place in our household. The arrival of fall brought vibrant colors, and the dropping temperatures made outdoor activities even more enjoyable. Football was a central theme, and mimicking our favorite players brought immense joy. Thanksgiving meant indulging in delicious food, playing football, and running around with friends and family. Gratitude was a common sentiment, and I particularly cherish my family.

As Christmas approached, our traditions shifted toward tangible gifts. A cherished movie from my childhood was “A Christmas Story” because I could relate to the protagonist’s experiences. While I never received a bunny onesie, there were gifts that didn’t quite thrill me. Reflecting on this, I feel ashamed of how ungrateful I was. This reflection significantly influences how I guide my daughter in managing her emotions, and I’m thankful that she does not harbor the same expectations I did as a child.

This week’s readings and discussions have deepened my appreciation for the fortunate circumstances my family provided. I believe one does not have to live an identical life to cultivate similar appreciation, but having something to be grateful for is crucial. Whether it’s sharing a festive meal with loved ones or reveling in gifts from Santa, spending time with those who care about each other is vital for our well-being.

4 Responses

1. Kenese Faamu

Hey Joshua, amazing job on your blog post, especially with the colored backgrounds on the text. I can definitely relate with Thanksgiving football; it has been a tradition in my family to watch the games together even if we have different teams. Christmas has always been my favorite holiday and the movie A Christmas Story you mentioned is classic, although I prefer Home Alone. Great job on the post and I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving!

• Joshua Escobedo

Hi Kenese,
      I appreciate your feedback. Creating the format took longer than I’d like to admit, but I’m satisfied with the final outcome. It’s interesting that you mentioned having different teams because, in my opinion, this aspect actually strengthens our connection. We frequently debate which team is superior, sparking in-depth conversations extending beyond the sports topic and allowing us to discuss various aspects of life. Wishing you a fantastic Thanksgiving as well.

2. Regan Gray

Hi Joshua, I enjoyed reading your post. One of my favorite Christmas movies is “A Christmas Story,” my family always gets together to watch it yearly. I, too, feel guilty over how ungrateful I used to be come Christmas time when I wouldn’t get some of the things I asked for. Now I am grateful even to get one little present, if that. I used to view Christmas as being fun because of the gifts, but now I enjoy it more for the time I get to spend with my whole family and friends.

• Joshua Escobedo

Hi Regan,
      I appreciate your comment. Reflecting on the distinction between things we value and those we might overlook is intriguing. In a recent conversation with my daughter about her Christmas wishes, she surprised me by expressing a preference for five modest gifts. When I inquired about her reasoning, she explained that she prioritizes spending time with family in Texas over receiving material gifts.