Caribbean Christmas in Alaska, That’s what I Prefer…

I miss home sometimes…

My Christmas for the first 27 years of my life consist of sun kissing sunlight, tropical blue beaches and soft warm sand. I definitely took it for granted because that was all I knew. I was born and grew up in The beautiful islands of The Bahamas. Before there are any questions regarding myth or my homeland, one I would address is YES… the beaches are definitely how they look on the internet but only better in person because you can feel the ocean breeze kissing the ends of your skin.

But Let’s talk about the FOOD! That’s what our Christmas was all about back home…

This is what a typical Bahamian Christmas plate looks like after full preparation, well as you can imagine that it is a lot of food but it is all good and apart of our Caribbean culture.

Bahamian cuisine refers to foods and beverages within the Bahamas, which is a part of our culture. It includes foods such as sea foods, fish, shellfish, lobster, crab, and conch. We have a well rounded amount of tropical fruits that’s a part of our culture, some of the main entrées, that we pride ourselves in our peas, pigeon, peas and pork, and nothing would give our food the flavor that it needs, unless we had the seasonings that are strictly from our culture, which are , hot peppers lime, tomatoes, onion, garlic, allspice, ginger, cinnamon, rum, and coconut . Bahamian cuisines are somewhat relatable to the American south dishes, such as fish and grits.

After all that amazing delicious food, we have to move around and celebrate with what we call Boxing Day Junkanoo, which is celebrated Christmas night…

Junkanoo is a festival that was originated during the period of African slavery in British American colonies. It was practice mostly notably in Jamaica, the Bahamas and Belize. This Christmas time cultural parade is predominantly showcase in the Bahamas and it’s originally called Junkanoo and it is sad to date back to the 1700s and it’s celebrated year around with music main stream and competition with results. These are parades that are showcased with locals of the black populations containing their routes in the Caribbean. It is a beautiful celebration that can be enjoyed all around the world.

ReplyForward
So if you ever end up in The Bahamas look forward to having an amazing time… and enjoying great food

1. Danni Reuter

Pfftt….I thought I hated Christmas, but I’ve just been experiencing the wrong kind of Christmas. I definitely need to travel, everything about your Christmas looks wonderful!

• Kay Howse

Thank you!! I truly enjoy my Christmas it has definitely been a joy

2. Katherine LeBlanc

Hi Kay, I love the photos in your blog and getting to learn about Christmas celebrations in the Bahamas. I first heard about Boxing Day when I was living in Puerto Rico, and it sounds like a really fun celebration. Thanks for teaching us about and showing us a bit of your culture.

• Kay Howse

Absolutely and I am sure living in Puerto Rico was amazing