Transform Harm

Background Info

TransformHarm.org is a website whose goal is to end violence. It isn’t an organization or for-profit business that will charge you for using their website. The main focus of the resource hub is to provide some helpful information, explanation, background, definitions, and resources regarding the topic of transformative justice (which we will discuss later).

The website was created by Mariame Kaba and it offers a variety of tools including articles, audio and visual clips, curricula, and more. Mariame Kaba is an organizer, educator, archivist and curator. Her passion is in helping end violence, youth incarceration, dismantling the prison industrial complex, transformative justice, and more.

She is on numerous boards, has founded and co-founded many organizations, and has too long of a list of accomplishments to name all of them here. If you want more information on her and the work that she has done throughout the years, you can find it on her website https://mariamekaba.com/.All of the information in this blog post came from there but there are so many more articles and stories that are available so I highly encourage you to go check out the website at https://transformharm.org/

Transformative Justice

Transformative Justice is a political framework and approach for how we should respond to violence, harm, and abuse. Nowadays, people are quick to react in the name of justice. When they see or hear of someone who is being treated unjustly or unfairly, they get filled with a righteous anger and are quick to fight back and avenge those who have been wronged.

Transformative Justice is switching from a harsh, quick, emotional response to injustices to ones that are more intentional, responses that can actually make things right, even if they take time and planning. The goal is to respond to violence without creating more violence but at the same time making sure that you aren’t caving in and just being okay with the way people are being treated. Some things that constitute transformative justice:

1) They do not rely on the state (e.g. police, prisons, the criminal legal system, I.C.E., foster care system (though some responses do rely on incorporate social services like counseling);   
2) They do not reinforce or perpetuate violence such as oppressive norms or vigilantism; and most importantly,  
3) They actively cultivate the things we know prevent violence such as healing, accountability, resilience, and safety for all involved.

The traditional style of justice says that the people who wronged others deserve to be punished. They deserve to be wronged so that in the future they will be less likely to do it in the future. When somone else is harmed, our initial reaction is to stand up for them and fight back. Transformative justice says that this is not the way that it should be, we should fight back but it should be a meaningful, impactful way rather than an emotional and rash response.

Restorative Justice

The definition of restorative justice is one that is widely debated. Essentially the idea behind restorative justice is that the person who has wronged someone else should have the opportunity to make amends. The should have the chance to apologize, change, and make things better.

An example of this is when you and your sibling get into an argument and your mom has to step in. She breaks up the fight and then she makes each of you admit what you did wrong or what you could have done better, apologize, and then hug it out.

Now this doesn’t make the hurt go away and doesn’t excuse the actions but it is slowly working towards mending the relationship that was broken.

Restorative justice is allowing the chance for the wrongdoer to take accountability for their actions and work towards righting their wrongs. Instead of the focus being on punishing the wrongdoer and making them suffer for their actions, the focus is on helping them. By understanding why they did what they did, you can understand how to help them.

I think that some people would say that this isn’t what the criminals and wrongdoers deserve. That they deserve to be punished for their actions, for the hurt they caused. They think that restorative justice is the easy way out and that when criminals aren’t punished for their actions, they’ll be more likely to continue doing them. Well in some cases this may be true, a lot of times this isn’t always the case. There is always a reason why a person commit wrongdoings. When we can get to the root cause of the reason then we can help prevent it from happening in the future.

Community Accoutability

The idea behind community accountability is that through the stregthening of relationships in the community we can prevent, intervene, and heal from violence. By forming and strengthening relationships in our community we can hold one another accountable for our actions.

Now a community doesn’t mean that like the entire town or city all shares its struggles with one another and tells each other how to act. Instead it’s more of a smaller scale, a group of friends, a church, a family, neighborhood, coworkers, etc. A small, close knit group of people that you trust. Ones who aren’t afraid to step up and confront you when you’re in the wrong. If everyone had a group of people to keep them accountable (and were willing to keep others accoutable) and would listen to them, I think that it would significantly help prevent violence and other harmful actions. I think that social workers can help facilitate this by spreading awareness on this subject. I think that, and its something that we’ve talked about before in this class, talking circles are one way to implement his idea. As you get to know one another and meet with each other, you develop a relationship and trust. Through that trust and relationship you can keep one another accountable.

Abolition

Abolition is the idea that we should get rid of policing, imprisonment, and surveillance. Instead we should replace them with different alternatives of punishment. The idea is that how the prison system and policing is run today feeds on oppression, inequalities, and prejudices.

The concept of abolition is not saying that we should get rid of all the jails and stuff because that it is not the issue. It is about understanding the society, it is a broad strategy that focuses on building a foundation on what we believe and from that foundation, developing strategies for change. It is marathon not a sprint, it takes time, small steps, and deliberate actions.

Healing Justice

Healing justice is the idea that we should respond and intervene in a way that will be most beneficial for healing our hearts, minds, and bodies. The idea is that we all heal differently and that when social structures and justice systems try and tell us how we ought to act and respond, they are actually preventing us from being able to heal and grow in the way that we need to.

Conclusion

While I don’t necessarily agree with every single one of these methods, it is definitely helpful to learn and understand what they are. Now I don’t think that there is a single, sure-fire method to how to respond and react to injustices, if there was then everyone would be doing it. I think that maybe the best option is actually a combination of everything that has been mentioned. I think that each method of justice has it pros and cons. I agree that whatever method you agree with or think should be implemented, is going to take time. I think regardless of what method of justice we choose, the truth is that it’s not going to be an easy or quick fight.

The main thing that we need to keep in mind is that we cannot give up. Especially as social workers, we are the ones who people will look up to lead the fight.

1. Abbigale Wheeler

Hey Brendon! I really enjoyed reading your blog this week and all of the eye-catching graphics that you included with it. Transformative justice is a really intriguing idea and I just wish that it was available for more people. I really do love the concept of restorative justice and I strongly believe that it is something that we need a lot more of in this country, considering much of the criminal justice system in this country is concerned with retribution over restoration. I believe that community accountability is a very important step to help prevent and heal from crime by people feeling more connected to their community. Abolition is something that I would love to see implemented in my life, but I understand that it is going to be a very long, time consuming process. Healing justice is something that I have not learned much about yet, but I am really interested to learn more and I think that all of these systems of justice could be a gigantic improvement from what we have now.

2. Brendon Mowery

Hey Abbigale,

Thanks for the comments and feedback! I agree that Transformative Justice is a really intriguing idea. I think that it is something that isn’t talked about very much. I also agree with the idea of restorative justice, but I don’t think that many people know about it. I definitely agree that it is something we need a lot more of in our nation. I think that the justice system nowadays is more focused on punishing those who have done wrong and making an example of them. I think that instead they should be more focused on providing treatment for offenders to help ensure that they won’t do this in the future. I think that accountability is one of the best methods because there’s not one, singular person in charge or confronting. The hard part is finding people who are willing to step up and confront you. I also agree that abolition is going to take a long time to get put into practice. I think that any of these being implemented would be better than what we have now but I think that the best would be a combination of all of them.

3. David Shelton

I couldn’t agree more with your strong support for the TransformHarm.org initiative and your insightful analysis of the various justice approaches discussed in your blog post. The work that Mariame Kaba and others are doing to promote transformative justice, restorative justice, community accountability, abolition, and healing justice is crucial in reshaping our approach to addressing harm and violence.

Transformative justice, as you rightly pointed out, challenges the knee-jerk reaction of seeking harsh punishment and vengeance. Instead, it encourages us to think more intentionally and work towards resolutions that promote healing, accountability, and safety for all involved. This approach acknowledges the complexity of human behavior and strives to address the root causes of harm, which is essential for long-term change.

Restorative justice, as exemplified in your sibling argument scenario, emphasizes the importance of allowing wrongdoers the opportunity to make amends and understand the impact of their actions. It’s about fostering empathy and facilitating personal growth, rather than simply punishing individuals. Indeed, understanding the underlying reasons for wrongdoing can be a crucial step in preventing future harm.

Community accountability is another powerful concept. Building strong relationships within smaller communities allows for mutual support and holding one another accountable. It creates a sense of responsibility and trust, which can be instrumental in preventing harm and intervening when necessary. Social workers can indeed play a vital role in promoting these ideas and facilitating community-building processes.

The idea of abolition, while challenging, calls for reimagining our systems of policing and imprisonment. It acknowledges the structural inequalities and biases present in these systems and advocates for alternatives that do not perpetuate oppression. It’s a long-term vision that necessitates a shift in societal values and the gradual development of new strategies.

Healing justice is also a critical aspect of this discussion. Recognizing that people heal differently and that societal expectations can hinder the healing process is essential. It reminds us that justice should not only be about punitive measures but should also prioritize the well-being and growth of individuals and communities.

Your conclusion that a combination of these approaches may be the most effective way forward is insightful. Indeed, there is no one-size-fits-all solution, and a holistic approach that draws from these various methodologies could be the key to addressing complex issues. And, as you rightly emphasized, this journey will be neither easy nor quick, but it’s vital to remain committed to the cause, especially for social workers who are often at the forefront of advocating for change and leading the fight against injustice.

Thank you for sharing your perspective and highlighting the importance of these justice approaches. It’s through open dialogue and a willingness to explore different methods that we can make progress toward a more just and equitable society.