Truths as Old as Time

posted in: Uncategorized | 3

I really enjoyed listening to this episode of the Critical Social Worker podcast. It felt like I was tuning in to my favorite radio show. Usually, the only news or show I watch is Democracy Now with Amy Goodman, because of its geopolitical standpoint and its perspective on bringing awareness to political prisoners. It is difficult to discern the truth from media outlets that may be more interested in profits than reporting unbiased news, especially when it comes to racial and social injustices. If these three gentlemen had a regular podcast, I would definitely tune in daily.

Haki Kweli Shakur appears to be an expert in a range of topics. When Haki discusses religion, history, or political prisoners, you can bet your bottom dollar he is well-informed. Haki has a remarkable ability to explain complex topics with in-depth knowledge and enthusiasm. His explanations challenge what we thought we knew, forcing us to reassess our understanding of the subject matter. With his passion and zest, he can make even the most difficult concepts appear simple and clear as day.

At around the forty-minute marker of the podcast while in the thick of talking about Genocide, professor Christian askes Haki what he thinks about why Genocide benefits people and why they do it. Haki’s response is so matter of fact and chilling because of its ruthlessness and presence in present day. Haki’s reply is simply “controlling the territory and controlling the land”. He then elaborates and says, “Once they Control the land, they control the economics which helps facilitate genocide on indigenous people and things of that nature, its a control mechanism.”
I found this to be significant because he also reflects on methods of colonization as well. he addresses religion as a method of colonizing saying, “Indoctrinate to colonize.” Haki is wordy but can take the subject of religion and make you look at it in a way that is thinking outside of the box instead of the way we have been programmed.

Mentioning Assata Shakur was significant due to the injustice she faced. Assata Shakur is a legendary figure within the Black Panther Party and the Black Liberation Army who now lives in Cuba, where she has political asylum. Shakur was convicted May 2, 1973, of killing of a New Jersey state trooper during a shootout that left one of her fellow activists dead. She was shot twice by police during the incident and has long proclaimed her innocence. Assata Shakur is currently living in exile as a political refugee.

I learned about Mutulu Shakur’s incredible impact on numerous lives through his acupuncture practice, which was truly remarkable. This stood out to me because I had never heard of this before and thought that it should be more widely known. Mutulu Shakur was a member of the Black nationalist group, the Republic of New Afrika, which collaborated with the Black Panther Party and Young Lords to establish the first acupuncture detoxification program in the United States as drugs flooded their communities. Mutulu Shakur died from cancer at the age of 72, just seven months after his release on parole and nearly 37 years in prison. 

After listening to this podcast multiple times, I found myself raising my hands and exclaiming “Exactly!” The podcast sheds light on important topics that are often neglected in mainstream media. It reinforced my belief that I am in the right class and studying the subject that I am meant to be. In general, I think this podcast is excellent, and it does not beat around the bush when it comes to addressing historical injustices.

3 Responses

1. Kenese Faamu

Hey Olivia,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog, I felt the same way when Haki mentioned how they benefit from controlling the land because controlling the land means controlling the resources. Also, what Assata Shakur went through was very heartbreaking, and so many other people like Malcom X and the members of Black Panther Party 21. Great job on the blog, I like how creative it looks.

2. Hailey Luder

Hi Olivia, Great blog, I enjoyed reading! The way you broke up your texts with different photos was really nice as it helped to put faces to names and to see real time, which, for me, always helps me to connect more. I do agree that genocide is a way to grab control. Although I do believe there is more in there that makes it a bit bigger than that, and there’s more to unpack, but I do agree with the sentiment. Learning about the different people, though, especially Assata Shakur. Great contribution this week I enjoyed reading.

3. Myah Sundby

Hi Olivia! I love your blog; it is wonderfully put together. I like how you incorporated multimedia to make your writing stand out. I completely resonate with your thoughts on Mutulu Shakur’s acupuncture practice; it’s truly remarkable and deserving of wider recognition. The collaboration with the Black Panther Party and Young Lords to address the impact of drugs in their communities is an inspiring example of grassroots initiatives. It’s fascinating how the podcast resonated with you, making you feel affirmed in social work. I agree that the podcast’s unapologetic approach to addressing historical injustices is commendable and necessary. What other aspects of the podcast stood out to you, and how do you see its impact on discussions about overlooked topics?