Serving The Military & Veteran Population

(U.S. Air Force graphic by Airman 1st Class Abbigayle Wagner)

1. Brendon Mowery

Hey Danni,

Great job on your blog post for this week! I really enjoyed reading your blog and it was very touching and humbling to me. I’m not in the military and nobody really close to me is either, so it isn’t really I think about too much. However, I wholeheartedly agree that they should be respected and honored for their service and how much they sacrifice for this country. I can’t imagine how hard it must be for someone to leave their family knowing they might never see them again. I really liked the fact that you brought up how difficult it can be for the military families as well, I feel like that is something that isn’t talked about that much. It was really sad to hear what it is like when someone returns to their family after so long and how they don’t really fit in to the family structure. I agree that social workers should be well educated on how to counsel and help those who have served in the military. I think that it would be helpful for someone who has been in the military and gotten treatment and have recovered from their mental health disorders to, if they are able and willing, teach social workers on what was helpful and what wasn’t. Really good job on your blog, way to finish the semester strong!

• Danni Reuter

I agree that would be a good idea for the military to give some special training course or something to help educate people in the social work field. I’m actually pretty surprised that the military doesn’t employ their own social workers.

2. Devin Gittlein

I agree that military members should have a good support system to help them integrate back into civilian life. There are not many people close to me that have been in the military, but there have been people in my life who’ve been diagnosed with PTSD and that makes you feel far away from the rest of the world, let alone all the other things that come along with being a service member. I think that your blog was well written, and I liked the images that you included. I had been reading about military assistance within the different levels of social work, and I think that that is a good way to help break up all of the things social workers can do to help service members. I read that, on a micro level, awareness of military structure such as rank, branches, active duty/reserve/National Guard is essential, on top of all of the other cultural factors that come along with being a member of our society. On a mezzo level, educating the community on supporting the service members in their lives and on the resources available for transitional periods (deployment, relocation, reintegration) is beneficial. To help on a macro level, advocating for systemic changes addressing military needs and to overall focus on the “active duty family,” not only the one member of the family that is active duty. I thought that the point you addressed about social and emotional challenges manifesting through associated behaviors was something that is good to keep in mind, as it isn’t something that I frequently think about.

3. Mindy Haley

Given your family’s history of military service, I wonder whether you have ever had discussions about emerging acceptance of mental healthcare for servicemembers over the years. I get the sense that things are improving somewhat, but a generational comparison would be really interesting.

When my brother-in-law was deployed for the third time in 2019 I spent some time with my sister and her young children. I wanted to help ease her loneliness and stress of being essentially a single parent of 3 children under the age of 7. While I was there, I was pleased to learn of some of the support they received while he was away to ease some of their burden: free hourly childcare for her kids (she was allotted a certain number of hours each month to use at her discretion) at the childcare facility on post; monthly gatherings of spouses and children for the deployed unit to facilitate peer support and reduce isolation; care packages for the children that included workbooks that explained deployment in an age-appropriate way and prompted kids to do things like write letters to their deployed parent (I think they had a page per day, and workbooks were sent out monthly); in-school counseling for the children on a semi-regular basis; phone trees and established plans to pass on critical information that couldn’t be shared on social media or through newsletters.

While the support they received didn’t solve every problem, I found myself somewhat impressed by the thoughtfulness of the offerings. After reflecting on this, and reading about military social work, I wonder who established these programs and how widespread they are. I also wonder how they may vary depending on branch, rank, geographic location, etc.

• Danni Reuter

You know I haven’t had that discussion with them. My brother is still very active in the military due to his rank, even though he is in the reserves. I know he helps out a lot with other members where he can but that’s definitely a conversation we should have.

4. Joshua Escobedo

Hi Danni,
    I found your blog to be quite intriguing. I often contemplate the accuracy of statistics when reading them, reminding myself that even if the data collection follows all required procedures, it may still fall short of providing an accurate representation. Your perspective on deployments resonates with me, and I agree that they can be exceptionally challenging.
    Despite the intentions behind MHAT III, I can attest that during the years 2004-2006, deployments were more demanding compared to later years. For instance, on my initial deployment in 2006, I had to wait in line for approximately an hour to use the phone to call home. In contrast, during my most recent deployment in 2017, I could video chat from my cell phone. While this may appear to be a simple variable, the significance of being able to communicate with loved ones easily in these challenging times cannot be overstated.

• Danni Reuter

The ability to reach out to your family is huge, especially for marriage and maintaining that connection. I also think that children being able to be in contact with their parent probably makes a big difference in how they deal with their absence. I’m glad there was that at least. It’s hard to believe we have been sending soldiers over there that long.

5. Katherine LeBlanc

Hi Danni, this was a great blog. It can be a hard topic to tackle but you did it well. I really appreciate your first paragraph where you say that regardless of our beliefs, we should support military members. I absolutely agree, and it goes beyond just military members. I believe that as social workers our personal beliefs should not be put ahead of prioritizing our purpose of helping people. Regardless of if they are military, of their religion, race, if they struggle with substance abuse or mental health, they are all people and deserve help and resources when they need it.

With that said, being in the military can be hard for a lot of people. I’m glad that the culture in the military is shifting away from hiding your problems and feelings instead of asking for help. Things such as deployment, relocation, injury, the mental and physical requirements, can all make it incredibly stressful for some. As social workers it is important that we understand the struggles that service members and their families go through so we can properly assess and help them.