Episode 34 of The Critical Social Worker: Unveiling the Struggle with Haki Kweli Shakur

posted in: Uncategorized | 4

Episode 34 Stories of Revolution: Unveiling the Sturggle with Haki Kweli Shakur

In this episode of The Critical Social Worker: A Revolutionary Storytelling Podcast; Our host Christian Ace Stettler and co-host David Shelton are joined by Haki Kweli Shakur. Together they address and share thoughts on the ongoing genocide in Gaza to the systemic issue of anti-Blackness within social work, and much more. This episode has been one of the longest, most in depth, and intense podcast’s this series has done so far.

During the conversation, the speakers discuss various historical events within the first half of the episode. Particularly the establishment of the state of Israel in 1947, and reflect on the Holocaust, slavery, and the treatment of indigenous peoples in the United States. They explore the concept of genocide and how it has affected different populations globally, emphasizing the importance of understanding the historical context of these events. Understanding historical context is crucial for gaining insights into past events, decisions, and societal changes. It allows for a more nuanced interpretation of history by considering the specific political, social, economic, and cultural factors that shaped the actions of individuals and societies.

The conversation also  touches  on the role of religious texts, such as the Bible and the Quran, in shaping perspectives and how these texts can be interpreted historically. They also discuss colonization, land control, and the economic interests behind genocidal actions, highlighting the ongoing struggles of indigenous peoples in various parts of the world.  Another thing that is addressed in in this episode the impact of social media and contemporary movements on shaping narratives. Social media can be a great tool when is comes to making an impact, spreading awareness, making/starting a movement, and much more. But Social media can also spread a lot of evil and misinformation, and misrepresentation.

Social media wields considerable negative influence on narratives and contemporary movements. The rampant spread of misinformation fosters distorted narratives and insular echo chambers. The pervasive presence of online harassment and trolling poses significant challenges to activists’ well-being and impedes constructive discourse. The relentless flow of information a can contribute to sensationalism and potentially compromising the depth of engagement with pertinent issues.

Throughout the discussion, there is an underlying theme of the need for critical analysis, historical awareness, and a global perspective to fully understand and address issues related to genocide, colonization, and social justice. Historical awareness is crucial to contextualize and comprehend the roots of issues such as genocide and colonization. Understanding the historical legacies of systemic injustices, power imbalances, and cultural disruptions can  provide essential insight into the persistent challenges faced by affected communities. It allows for a nuanced understanding of how historical events continue to shape present-day realities.

Another important thing that was discussed during the podcast was the lack of trust in the social work system from people and families of color for a variety of reasons. One reason that was brought up was the lack of people of color working in the social work field. While this is changing and more people of color are entering into social work areas, its important to note that the common ethnicity of social workers is white.

A lack of diversity in the field of social work poses several challenges for people of color. It can result in inadequate cultural competence among social workers, leading to difficulties in understanding and addressing the unique needs of clients from diverse backgrounds. This lack of representation may create barriers to trust and engagement, discouraging individuals from seeking social work services. Additionally, biases and stereotypes may be perpetuated, affecting the fair treatment of clients. The absence of diverse role models and mentors can hinder the professional development of individuals from underrepresented groups. Systemic issues such as policy gaps and ineffective advocacy may arise, contributing to disparities in outcomes and perpetuating social inequalities. To address these challenges, the social work profession must actively prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion through recruitment efforts, cultural competency training, and the promotion of equitable policies and practices.

Access the podcast here

4 Responses

1. Ariel Oviatt

Hello Regan!

This podcast was a long one for sure, but I really liked this one, personally. I felt like I learned the most and this one forced me on a deep dive outside of the podcast into political prisoners. I also saved a couple of book recommendations! I’m really excited to read the book In The Spirit of Crazy Horse, because I think it will offer a view of things that was whitewashed in our textbooks.

Great job – I loved the in depth explanation.

• Regan Gray

Hi Ariel, thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my post. I also really enjoyed this podcast and can honestly say it has been my favorite one yet.

2. David Shelton

Hi there,

I just wanted to chime in and share my thoughts on Episode 34 of The Critical Social Worker: Unveiling the Struggle with Haki Kweli Shakur, as I was also a part of this insightful podcast conversation with Christian Ace Stettler and Haki Kweli Shakur.

First and foremost, I want to express how impactful this episode was for me personally. The depth and intensity of the discussion were truly remarkable. It’s not every day that you get the opportunity to engage in such a comprehensive dialogue about critical issues like genocide, anti-Blackness, colonization, and social justice. Haki Kweli Shakur brought a wealth of knowledge and perspective to the table, making it a rich and enlightening experience.

The conversation’s focus on historical context struck a chord with me. Understanding the historical underpinnings of the various issues we discussed is absolutely essential. History provides the backdrop against which we can better comprehend the current state of affairs, and it underscores the importance of examining systemic injustices and power imbalances.

I also share the concerns raised about the negative impact of social media on narratives and contemporary movements. While it can be a powerful tool for raising awareness and mobilizing people, it can also be a double-edged sword. The spread of misinformation and the toxic culture that can sometimes prevail on social media platforms pose significant challenges to productive discourse and activism. We must navigate these challenges carefully to ensure that our efforts on social media contribute positively to our causes.

Regarding the lack of diversity in the social work field, I completely agree with the points made in the podcast. It’s clear that a lack of representation can lead to a multitude of issues, including a lack of cultural competence among social workers and barriers to trust for clients from diverse backgrounds. The profession must actively work to diversify its ranks and promote inclusion to better serve all communities.

In conclusion, I’m grateful for the opportunity to have been a part of this podcast episode, and I hope that the conversation continues to inspire critical analysis, historical awareness, and meaningful action on the important issues we discussed. We must work together to address these challenges and strive for a more just and equitable society.

If you still need to listen to the episode, I highly recommend checking it out to gain further insights into the topics we covered.

Best regards,
    David Shelton

3. Hailey Luder

Regan,
    This was an amazing episode and a great blog. I like how you put in photos. Infographics and the video, so great job on all of that. I do agree that there can definitely be a lack of diversity in the social work world and it’s something we should strive to fix. Overall, I really liked your blog, so great job!