I Yam That I Yam

posted in: Uncategorized | 6

IMAGE: Eric Dunham

IMAGE: Our crazy family in front of our little log house in North Pole, Alaska.

6 Responses

1. Sarai Gomez

Michelle,

Reading the experience you had with the veteran who gave you his “hanging rope” impacted me. I handle referrals, medication, prior authorizations, and other care for veterans, I have seen firsthand how difficult it is for Veterans to receive care. whether its to get seen by a primary care provider, to seek mental health services, or even something as simple as medication refills is incredibly slow. It is not uncommon for Veterans to fall through the cracks. I also like the quote at the end, “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.” offering help and having people refuse it is hard to watch.

2. Robi Naranjo

Hi Michelle, congrats on finishing your degree! My mom lived in a really old log cabin just like that in NP too, such a small world that would be crazy if it was the same one. I’m so sorry to hear about your Father and your brother. It sounds like you have gained so much wisdom and insight from your work and personal life experience that you would be an asset at any workplace. Love for people and offering hope is so needed right now. I’m excited to hear more from you and thank you for sharing.

3. Sharla Huckabey

Michelle,
    Your story is very touching. My condolences to you and your losses. Losing both of your parents is an experience that hurts forever. I can’t imagine the pain you experienced over the loss of your brother. I have to say your story brought tears to my eyes.
    I love your path for helping veterans in their time of need. I am so glad you were able to speak to Paul that day to help him deal with his trauma just a little easier. Your love for the work shines in your first blog. Keep on; you are doing great things to help those who need you most.
    I look forward to reading more of your blogs.

4. Ian Miller

Michelle, I am happy to know that our veterans have someone with your passion for the work working for them. Your resilience and strength is an inspiration to them, and everyone you work with. Looking forward to working with you more throughout the course.

5. Simone Smith

Michelle, Your blog is so inspiring. From reading it, I can see what Prof Stettler means when he says we will learn the most from sharing with each other. We have a lot in common, I’m 51 returning back to get a degree in Social Work and have split my time between Alaska and Washington. I so appreciate your passion to help veterans as I’ve seen first hand the generational trauma that’s caused by what they’ve gone through. Your answer; to just love them, was so moving. I feel the same about the people who check into the treatment center I work at as peer support. No matter what they say or what they’ve done, I see their humanity and I just love them. Here’s to just loving our way to real change.

6. Maren Chaffee

Michelle, I’m deeply sorry for the loss of your parents and your brother. The grief from such losses is immense, and the fact that you’ve channeled this into aiding others is truly admirable. Your work provides critical support to those in need, reflecting the courage and love born out of your own experiences. Thank you for turning your personal trials into a passionate commitment to help others.