Navigating Identity, Faith, and Social Work.

My identity, roots, and cultural background are intertwined. I am not one without the other. As a first-generation Mexican-American, traditions, language, food, and culture are who I am.  My parents did not leave behind their beliefs when moving to the U.S. and ensured that we knew from a young age that a strong work ethic and family needed to be the center of our being. Both great-grandparents and grandparents prioritized family and expected their children to work and contribute to the household. This mentality was instilled into both my parents and, in turn, us, their children. When my parents immigrated to the U.S., they were determined not to allow their children to lose their connection to Mexico. This has shown itself in me living by these standards, keeping a solid work ethic Mexicans are known for, and having family as the center of my life. It has shaped who I am and continues to forge the path ahead of me. Because of my predecessors, I find it possible to imagine myself fully integrated into a workforce that is predominantly white and individualistic while simultaneously keeping close ties to my family as I continue to become my own person.

Religion has played an enormous role in the way my family chooses to live their lives. However, I have chosen to separate myself from the teachings, because of my religious upbringing and participation in the church until about 5 years ago, this step back has allowed me to open my mind to other perspectives on life and become more accepting of the differences I encounter. It has also affected the way I now choose to protect myself emotionally and physically. I no longer stay in situations that affect me in a negative way for the sole reason of complying and staying on the spiritual path that is expected of me. I understand it is difficult for those around me to accept a different others’ way of life and what let go of motivates them to cling to their beliefs, as I was once in their shoes. This perspective has allowed me to be conscious and engage in conversations related to the topic with tact and kindness that I would not have otherwise. I have come to understand that social work is not about telling people what to do and what decisions they need to make. Instead, it’s about giving them the tools to mold their lives to the way they want. This change has shifted my core identity and started molding me into someone I can be proud of. 

My father moved us from Florida to Alaska in 2008 when he realized the 2007-2008 recession had left many without work, and he would soon be in the same boat. We did not know anyone, nor did we know anything about Alaska. He moved to Alaska and resolved to make it our home and provide financial stability. This leap of faith made an impression on me, and I find that I, too, have made moves and life decisions with no certainty of success but with the same mentality as my father, “I will make it because there is no other choice.” This has served me well in my life, always looking for better and, although afraid, doing it anyway. Fairbanks has become my home, and although I have moved away several times, I come back because I crave living a slower life and knowing materialism is minimal.

I admit I do not have experience in social work, and I do not know much about the field. I know that social work ethics are similar to other jobs, such as family advocates in pre-schools like FNA. People can find themselves in circumstances where they need resources for situations in which they feel shame. Bashing, judging, refusing to work with them, and talking about them to others is unacceptable and, although not illegal, unethical. 

Introduction to Social Work is a new venture for me. This class is not necessary for the field in which I work, nor for the field I am working towards. However, I find it essential to familiarize myself, if only a little, with the workings of social work and the way we serve the community as individuals. In the past, I have worked in settings with limited resources and did not have social workers of any kind or even people familiar with the field. Although I have tried my best to assist in any way possible, I recognize I am not an expert, nor do I have a clear understanding of how to approach things. Seeing this lack of qualified personnel and the negative way in which it affects minorities and low-income communities hurt my soul. My family and I were once part of the community who needed assistance but could not receive any. I do not wish to continue this cycle. I hope to come out on the other side of this class, having an idea of how to better assist communities in need that are often overlooked and underserved.  Who we are does not determine who we will become, but recognizing who we are at the moment is the start of becoming the person whom we would be proud of. This class will be part of the journey to forge into the person I want to become.

** Top images were acquired from Google. Spelling and grammar corrected with AI**

1. Robi Naranjo

Hi Sarai, thanks for sharing this part of your life with us! I really liked how you brought up when people find themselves in circumstances where they need resources and help but are met with judging and bashing. That is one of the many reasons I want to become a social worker, to also bring a more empathetic approach to social service.
    I could also relate to how you wrote about it hurting your soul seeing lack of resources and qualified personnel in low income communities, I’ve also witnessed this living in low income minority community and it does feel overlooked, even preyed upon in a lot of ways.

• Sarai Gomez

Something that impacted me the most growing up and into adulthood is exactly what you said: minorities and low socio-economic class are preyed upon. I understand we can’t fix every injustice of the world on our own, but being able to empower others and, most importantly, teach them how to advocate for themselves is a world of a difference to that person. It is something I wish my parents would have had when they immigrated to the U.S.

• Robi Naranjo

Yes! so true, and just being aware of and being able to be courageous and that they are powerful and do have a voice, I think some minority communities are so used to not having a voice that maybe they quit trying to speak

• Ian Miller

Sorry for jumping in uninvited, but I love this conversation. Resources are a nightmare to navigate. I mean, if a community is lucky enough to have relevant resources, the systems in place still make accessing them almost impossible. Everywhere we turn it feels like agencies not only don’t work together, but it seems like they actively work against each other. People who are in need should be able to have simplicity on their side. I remember needing help and asking for it only to be shuffled around and eventually lost. I mean, some of it was my fault. My efforts at the time were bare minimum. But that was because I was scared to ask for help and the eventual rejection that I manifested.

2. Sharla Huckabey

Sarai,
    I enjoyed reading your writing. I can relate to the heartache of seeing people need resources that are nowhere around. We have that same issue in the area I am in. Working with elders, I see and feel it a lot.
    Being raised by a workaholic, I can relate to the work mentality your family instilled in you.
    It is interesting hearing your view on parting ways with some of your raisings on religion. Learning to find yourself is a skill a lot of people don’t have.
    I look forward to reading more of your writings.

• Sarai Gomez

Sharla,

To be honest, its hard to reject what you’ve believed your whole life. Low-key, I had an identity crisis. I felt as though I had to question every aspect of my life.

3. Ian Miller

Sarai, I appreciate your outlook on life and your participation in it. Whatever your career path ahead of you is, learning the skills to broaden your empathy for the human experience is never a mistake. You stated the following: “I have come to understand that social work is not about telling people what to do and what decisions they need to make. Instead, it’s about giving them the tools to mold their lives to the way they want”. It really sucks when you come to realize that one person can never truly help or heal another person. But when you really care about people, we will find ways to lift others up in helping themselves. It is an artform.