A Giving Heart

posted in: Uncategorized | 8

I was raised with my four siblings in the small town of Chandler, Oklahoma by my parents who instilled in me that family was everything. Blood is thicker than water. You can achieve a life of great blessings and endeavors with God as your Copilot. Your word is all that a man needs. You stand on your word and never go back on it. You work for everything you get; the government owes you nothing. We were a close family never had much money but were rich in love. I have heard people say, because of that we were the riches people in town. I am sharing a link of my hometown, because it is a pretty cool little town.

Chandler, OK | (chandlerok.com)

I tribute a lot of my life to my dad. Giving comes from the heart. It comes naturally in my life. I watched my father as I was growing up. He was a giver. He would give even when he really didn’t have extra to give. He would give when he didn’t have to give. He never met a stranger but often gave to people he had never seen before or ever again. Watching this for years, my life walked in those footsteps. I always want to give, no matter who, what, or where if I can give, I will give. Giving doesn’t only mean giving something of monetary value but also time, love, and attention. Helping others in any way I can to help their life be happier, and more successful.

“If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. if you want happiness for a lifetime, help somebody.” Chinese Proverb

Help each other make it to the top.

My mom instilled in me her gentle touch, soft voice, kind heart, patience, and love for all humans. She was a very caring soul. She never spoke badly of anyone; she always found the good in people. She was my prayer warrior. I strive to be half the mom she was. I work hard at it because it is so important to me for my family to know how to love unconditionally.

I married my highschool sweetheart on Dec. 18, 1986. We lived in Chandler when our three daughters were born. I have always told our three daughters that life is too short to be unhappy. Get there no matter what it takes to put you in a happy place. Positivity brings out the best in all people. Negativity is contagious, so leave it out of your life so you don’t spread it to others. 

I grew up traveling with my family. My father built metal buildings all over the U.S. We spent many summers as a family traveling from state to state. He believed in working hard but having fun along the way. He never passed up the opportunity to take us to an amazement park, cave, or sightseeing. He has even driven an additional 100 miles, so we go to a state we hadn’t been to before. Only to be able to say we have been there. Traveling is bread in me, I often tell my husband the highway is calling my name. We drove to Alaska when we moved here in 2001 and have since did around trip to Oklahoma and back. Camping was also a huge part of my childhood, and we continued that lifestyle with our daughters. We spent many weekends on the riverbanks hunting Indian artifacts, camping and enjoying each other’s company.

Mike and our daughter Sasha hunting Indian artifacts on the Illonoisis river, Tahlequah, Ok.

Camping with our three daughters.
Camping with our daughters.
Camping with our Joys. Grandchildren are the greatest!
The Joys of our life on a camping trip. Grandkids are great!

MY EXPERIENCE WITH SOCIAL WORK

I am not sure what my future holds at this moment. I am 56 years old and just now getting my AAS in Tribal Governance. I just wanted to get a degree; I just wish my parents were alive to know it. The idea of trekking into the Social Work field has gotten me excited to learn more about the different layers of the field. I have some experience with it because of my courtroom experience. I was a court clerk deputy in Chandler, Oklahoma and part of my responsibilities was sitting in with the Judge on juvenile cases. I have seen a lot of how social workers represent the field of social work. Therefore, I seen first-hand the court system and social work with families and troubled youth. I am eager to learn from the social worker side of things.

I currently am the Elder Services Director for a native association. I don’t know where I will go with the social worker, but I feel I will be furthering my education in it. I have helped employees and elders who have been dealing with things involving social work. The more I learn the more help I can give. I have seen many people who have needed a social worker with a caring heart. I have a heart to serve and to help people through their trauma. Kids need a hug, and it breaks my heart to see kids hurting. 

I have never personally been involved with social workers, but I have family that has fostered children, been guardianship over their siblings, and also adopted their grandchildren. I witnessed the heart break of my little family members being taken from their mom because of her bad choices. It was so devasting to them little babies and my family. I have seen first-hand through their experiences and trials. It’s not always easy, and sometimes you just wish you didn’t have to get involved but family is thicker than water, so you do what you have to do. Everything has worked out for the best and everyone is doing great.

** The first two pictures were from the internet, I created the meme using photos from the internet.**

8 Responses

1. Michelle Sikma

I love a good Chinese proverb!

Your experiences with your family, and that their passion has become your own. I think you will be a great social worker! Love is patient… If we can figure out that one, the rest fall into place… 😉

• Sharla Huckabey

I, too, love a good Chinese proverb. I saw that one, and it jumped out at me. I have often wanted to be a social worker but I am not really sure that is where I am going.

2. Robi Naranjo

I love how you said giving doesn’t have to be monetary value, but time, love and attention, that is gold. So true! I think that’s its cool that you are taking social work and just learning everything you can to benefit your community and those around you also. Your Dad sounds like he was a great man with lots of wisdom. Thank you for sharing you have a beautiful family!

• Sharla Huckabey

Thank you so much. My father was phenomenal, as well as my mom. I often have said God blessed me with the best.
      Yes, I want to do all I can to help those around me.
      Thank you for your kind words.

3. Ian Miller

Sharla, thank you for sharing everything. I enjoyed feeling the love and pride you have in your parents, family, and in having a good heart. The world definitely needs more givers and people with positive energy. Looking forward to working with you this semester. I hope you are able to gain all the knowledge and answers you are looking for

• Sharla Huckabey

Ian,
      Thank you so much for your kind words. I am really looking forward to working with you as well. Love is essential; so often, it is not shared enough.

4. Sean McCrossin

Hey Sharla! I thought your blog post looked awesome. I’m glad your parents were able to instill solid values within you, since I know a lot of people don’t have as positive role models as them. Being able to pay it forward I believe demonstrates strength and going into the social field seems to be to prove just that.

• Sharla Huckabey

Hi Sean,
      Thank you for your kind words. This is my first blog ever, and I have to admit I struggled with it a bit.

I wish every kid had the opportunity to be raised by positive influencers. My parents actually helped raise many kids that were not their own, many of our friends. They were always sharing their love.