I think I love this little life

A little bit about me

• I am 20 years old
  • I have been married for 2 years
  • I have a 6 month old daughter
  • I am a private pilot
  • I love adventure and want to travel
  • I am from southern Louisiana
  • I love cooking
  • I love reading

I am originally from Lafayette, Louisiana. Parts of me believe I grew up in the water, I was always swimming, on the beach, or on a boat. Louisiana also loves to party. We have have 100 festivals a year. Think of any type of food and add festival behind it. Something unique about Louisiana is we can drink in public, and we also have drive-through bars, it was a thing even before the pandemic. So I believe these festivals are a way to just party. This way of life shaped me into a free-flowing gal who loves the sunlight. Haha, now I can get 24 hours of it living here.

Even though I do love Louisiana, I would never go back. I had a hard time with my family there. I grew up as a “glass child.” It was like I was there, but no one saw me. I lived with my grandparents on and off for a while because my parents were honestly just too busy to be there for me. This happened because I have a very violent and severely autistic brother. Around the age of 12, CPS came into our lives because my mom couldn’t make an annual appointment to show the government that he still had special needs. She couldn’t make this appointment because when my mother drove, he would take off his seatbelt and strangle her while she was driving. That day, my father had to be at work, so he couldn’t be there to help. So, they decided it would be best for him to live in an assisted care facility that cared for kids like him. This put my parents in a very dark time. They lost a lot of family and friends because society told my family we abandoned my brother. Being the glass child I was, I didn’t grow up with rules and was very independent from a young age. My dad was a hard worker, and my mom was a full-time teacher and student. Frozen Pizza was my best friend, lol. Even though there is a much longer story to all of this, when I turned 17, I moved out; I road-tripped a lot and explored the country at a young age. I don’t think I would have been able to do all the things I did without learning how to be independent super young. On one of those road trips, I met my now husband. Overall, if my life were any different than it was, I would never be where I am now. 

Who I am Today

I moved to Fairbanks, AK, in May of 2022. My husband is in the military, and when it was time for PCS, we chose a place where we would want to stay the rest of our lives or at least a long time because he is getting out after this. I love Alaska, how isolated it is, and how I must push myself out of my comfort zone daily. I once read somewhere, ” strive to be uncomfortable,” and I love how Ak gives me that. I have two dogs and one cat. I love to read books. I have read six books in 2024 so far, so if I turn in an assignment late, my nose is stuck in a book. I love to cook cajun food, and I love to cook for people. I would love to cook for any of you guys, honestly. I believe that food brings people together and that there is something magical about good food and a good table. My daughter is the light of my life. I feel as if we talk a lot about the negatives of motherhood. I wish I could tell myself a year ago that my life was not altered that much by having a child. I do love being a mom, I have a lot of fulfillment, and I get excited about things like poop now. I just find myself smiling a lot more because of her.

Core things I believe in. I am a big fan of women and women leaders. Even if I disagree with someone, if you truly feel what you believe in/are doing is for the betterment of people and mankind, that is all I can ever ask out of someone. I don’t think anyone was born evil, and I don’t think that anyone was born hateful. I believe in a higher power. The best way I can describe it for you is I think God isn’t a person or a spirit or an entity, but I think he is love. The emotion, the feeling, the energy of love, and I worship that.

Why Social Work?

Deep down, my goal has always been to be a therapist. I hope to get my MSW after this and continue to become an LCSW. However, it didn’t set in my mind fully until I worked at Alaska Behavioral Health as a “Client care access coordinator” ( I feel like that is a super long job title, lol) I started working there when I found out I was pregnant. Honestly, the first month was super stressful. Every week, we had cops escorting someone out, and I dealt with my first-ever crisis phone call, where I had to beg someone to stay on the line while I got them help. However, as time passed, I got better at my job, and I thrived while communicating with people. It was one of the only times when I enjoyed going to work. I think people always say they want to be social workers because they want to help people, and don’t get me wrong, I love helping people, too. However, I loved the intensity I experienced, the fast-paced environment, and diffusing hectic situations. I loved how every day was completely different. I was excited when I saw people get stabilized and how I made lasting connections with clients.

1. Sarai Gomez

Giiiiirll,

Wow!! you’ve accomplished a lot of things and you’re only 20 years old. Good for you! I smiled when I read that you are a big fan of women. I am too. I like to think I am what is called “a girl’s girl”. I truly think as women we need to support one another. There is already so much opposition for us, why add to it.
    Your experience at Alaska Behavioral Health sounds like it could be emotionally draining. I hope you have been able to find a happy medium to not burn yourself out.

2. Josh Fine

Hi Bell! Thank you for the kind words on my post and I am glad to see that you are doing well. Your thoughts on your childhood were very insightful. I like the way you worded feeling unseen during your childhood, calling yourself a “Glass child”. Do you think that some of the your childhood experiences had any influence in your goal of becoming a therapist? Also, I can confirm that you were good at your job, we miss you dearly.

• Bell Voseberg

I think parts of me growing up the way I did pushed me to want to be a therapist one day. When I was older, I went to therapy for a while. I hated it and loved it, but I’m so grateful for it because it also taught me how to communicate with others in a healthy way instead of just being angry all of the time. I remember when I first decided to do college, I wanted to be a therapist, but I had no clue how to start that journey until I met you guys. Originally, I went for secondary ed.

3. John Da Broi

Bell,

I have always wanted to venture down to the south being from the west coast all my life I never have had the chance to but hopefully and maybe some day soon. The stories of your past have definitely affected how you have grown to be uncomfortable now and what you look forward to with your family and your work every day is truly amazing.

• Bell Voseberg

If you ever get the chance to visit, go during Mardi Gras. They have events and parades leading up to it all week/weekend. It is super fun. Just stay away from Bourbon Street/ French Quarter New Orleans on the actual Mardi Gras day. It’s very crowded, and bad things usually happen because everyone has been drinking since before noon.

4. Neveah Reese

What a girl boss you are! You have accomplished so much in your life thus far and I am sure you will continue to reach high and succeed. Your little family is so beautiful, and I am so happy you have found peace and stability here in Alaska. I was born and raised in Fairbanks and haven’t traveled much, so I hope to get out someday, at least for a bit. You have lived my dream of hitting the road and exploring!

I also was a very independent child and poured most of my energy into homemaking and raising my younger sisters. With that, I also formed a love for cooking and use it as a love language! I always cook for my siblings when they stay the night at my place. I have never had Cajan though, so I might have to take you up on that plate. 🙂

Wishing you and your family the best,

– Neveah

• Bell Voseberg

You are missing out on cajun food! It’s one of the things I truly miss in the South. If you want a super easy and cheap recipe for Cajun Red beans and Rice, I will post it here. It fills you up, and it is super, super cheap. Thank you for all of your very kind words.

Go on Amazon and order “Blue runner beans.” You use two cans (they don’t sell them Up here)
      Two packs of Andouille sausage ( I use Johnsonville in the red pack)
      one bell pepper chopped up finely
      1/2 an onion chopped up finely
      2 cups of rice

Cut up the sausage and brown the meat in a large pan, take it out of the pan and place on the side
      saute the vegetables in the same large pan. Keep those in that one pan
      then add two cans of beans and the chopped-up sausage
      add a little under half a can of water
      then stir until hot.
      Serve over rice

5. Robi Naranjo

Wow you have had a lot of experience already, getting to travel and be a pilot! Alaska, I heard is a very great place to be a pilot. I appreciate how you shared about your home life as a child and the situation with your brother, that sounded like a very difficult time also your experience as a glass child. I wish you and your new family the very best and getting you MSW

• Bell Voseberg

I want to get my instrument license to fly up here more often. I have only flown twice since I have been up here, but planes and being a pilot are expensive, and it just is not in my deck of cards to be doing that right now. Hopefully, in the future, I can fly more often.

6. Ian Miller

Your life sounds absolutely wonderful and reading how grateful you are about all the positive things in your life is very uplifting. I am glad that when you were working at AKBH that you were able to find your flow and discover that you thrived in that environment and pace and intensity. I hope you continue to expand your love for Alaska and all the amazing people up there

7. Keyda Lampkin

Heyyyyy Bel,

This is one amazing story!! I love that you have had so many amazing experiences in life thus far. The baby is so big and beautiful she’s just wonderful. I didn’t know you were a pilot that’s super cool! I miss your face and hope you’re doing well.

• Bell Voseberg

Haha, yeah, I don’t talk about being a pilot a lot anymore since I really don’t get the chance to fly as much. I miss it so much, though. I miss you guys so much, too. I talk about you guys all of the time, and I want to work there again one day. Also, Reyna just turned 7 months yesterday and is crawling!! It is so crazy to me that much time has already passed.