Am I Evolving?

Ever since my first memory I have changed countless times, but it can be hard to gauge if it’s for better or worse. I was born in New York and raised there until i was 11 years old. I am 3/4 German and 1/4 Italian, with my German roots being especially strong genetically and by name. It’s a heritage I am proud of personally despite not giving it as much thought, because I otherwise see myself as more American than anything else. Which is partially why it was an interesting change to now be living in Alaska. New York is a big place, and yet Alaska is so much larger metaphorically and literally. Constantly I see people on their four wheelers or snow machines on trails or next to public roads. I became one of those people soon after witnessing something foreign despite being fellow Americans.

I evolved by diving into something I knew nothing about and something I was inherently uncomfortable doing. Now I really enjoy riding as a recreational activity. Which only served as fuel to continue growing and what I hope one would define as evolving. Taking this class is one such decision to continue evolving, since it’s a bit half and half into dedication and the unknown. I was very outgoing at a young age and it was the same during most of middle school, but when I was 14 it changed a bit. I went to a small middle and high school and I basically knew everyone and made the friends I was going to make. So maybe it was less of a social thing than I originally thought, but back then these were my thoughts. I ended up evolving again when my high school allowed work applications for construction or landscaping at all the schools in the Matsu Valley over the summer. I figured this was a good opportunity to grow since I really didn’t want to apply, but I did and it was one of the better choices I made in my life. I landed the landscaping job with two other coworkers and became good friends with someone I never thought I would and my other coworker was already my friend. I had a really good boss, and I learned a lot through work ethic, being social and talking to people, and learning how to operate a ton of landscaping equipment. I got to go to places I have never been like Talkeetna and our lunch breaks were us sometimes eating at basically tourist locations or hanging out in the work vehicle. Overall it was a huge moment for me all summer having fun, learning, and getting paid for it.

That however was not exactly a shift for me mentally in terms of what I wanted to be. I ended up finding that since I was 13 people found they could talk to me about their problems and that I can articulate my own issues very well. So going into the field of psychology was something I felt I wanted to do; not research really, just the more social aspects of the spectrum. If I had to define a moment that really changed that for me was when I was 14 and going through hard times and my friend Kaden was there for me. We exchanged our issues and he said I helped him a lot by simply listening and sharing, but something he said specifically was “you always seem to know what to say”. This is something I still think about, since my mother is good at talking to people too. I grew up around using words as a tool for aid. Which is still something I practice today, and honestly it can be mentally taxing and I’m trying to work on that type of stamina.

I am not a very religious person whatsoever, in fact I think religion causes way more problems than it should. But this is simply a personal opinion and I don’t knock religion either. I myself believe myself to be a Buddhist, in the sense that I do not wish to spread the message exactly. I believe in being my best self and working to always improve myself in every sense of the word. Which I think is a fitting sort of synonym for evolution. My life has not been easy but I know somebody always has it far worse, but before I could mature and understand this I was a very angry child. I wasn’t a bully by any means, I was very resistant and combative during school. However, once I moved to Alaska and was starting middle school, I knew things needed to change. I was shifting into a much nicer person, but I was still a class clown. Despite this, I was able to find that I was actually a good student who could achieve really good grades if I would just stay quiet more often, and I think I was able to find a balance between the two. I am not political at all, I know the state of the world and this country is important and maybe it’s selfish to say this but I have more pressing issues in a day by day basis as I learn to be an individual adult. I attempt to hone the highest regard of discipline through exercise which I do enjoy, but I am currently overweight ever since covid and staying indoors. This makes exercise a lot more difficult than before and I have may challenges with losing weight right now unfortunately. I still stay on the grind however, and I keep up on keeping my home clean and taking my health into far more consideration. I do have a group of friends that I play video games online with and I am taking college courses full time at the moment.

All in all, I want to continue working on my own social skills by continuing to go out of my comfort zone, while continuing to be the best version of myself that I can be. While I also need to find innovative ways and hone more discipline as I continue to attempt to lose weight. Thankfully I think I can find the strength to continue and eventually find myself being able to help people even now, but especially after I’m done with college.

– Sean McCrossin

1. Robi Naranjo

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I also struggle socially so we can do this together. I’ve heard it said, “growth lies outside the comfort zone.” lol. Don’t beat yourself up about gaining weight during covid, I think a lot of us did, so your not alone and its great that you have all these goals for yourself. You sound like someone who likes challenging themself and it was nice to read your blog! Very inspiring!

2. Ian Miller

Hi Sean! Your desire for evolving and personal growth is fantastic! I always appreciate those who continuously seek out to be better for no other reason than they know they can be. I see you being kind to yourself with gaining weight and your efforts in weight loss. It is so important that we have that graciousness with ourselves, you deserve that graciousness.