Then, Now, and What’s to Come

As a Young One

I was born and raised here in Fairbanks, Alaska in late 2002. I am the oldest of my four siblings, but the third oldest when you count in my five step siblings. Being the eldest of my siblings is an identity I have resonated with for many years. The bulk of my childhood it was just me and my two younger sisters. Our parents shared 50/50 custody, where we lived very different lives at each home. I would say my interest for social work, or working with children, started around this time in my life.

One of my parents struggled with drug and alcohol abuse, and although I didn’t understand this until I was older, I sure felt a lot of the repercussions. Starting at the age of ten, I was the “lil mama” as family friends would put it. Cooking, cleaning, taking care of my sisters, and all the other homemaking responsibilities were mine. While there is still a lot to unpack there, one thing for certain is it sparked a love for rearing children. My sisters (or siblings in general) mean the world to me. The love and care I gave them through their early childhood crafted a soft, yet brave, part in me that I am forever grateful for. Because of these experiences, I knew early on that I wanted to work with children and families in some way.

I played fast pitch softball from age 5 to 18. This is me during my 2nd or 3rd year.

Even with the hardships in my childhood, I still managed to have an overall happy one. My sisters and I grew up playing fast pitch softball, spent endless activities with our cousins, and built friendships in school.

My most cherished items from my childhood are the values my parents instilled in us. We were taught to be strong and out spoken. To stand up for ourselves and others who need it. I believe this specifically influences my interests in social work and advocacy. With that, we were also taught to love music. I have an absurd amount of memories listening to music with my parents. Singing, dancing, and laughing with each other for hours on end. Overall, I find a lot of strength within my family and turn to them when I need comfort, guidance, or celebration.

My sisters and I “in the studio” with one of our dads favorite artists.

As of Recently

Currently I am working on my BA in Child Development and Family Studies. I am pretty confident in my path, but struggled to get on it. After high school I was set to start majoring in Psychology with plans to be a youth psychologist. After lots of anxious contemplating and uncertainty, I decided it would be best to take a gap year. During this time I thought a lot, read a lot, and considered what I wanted to do with my life. I knew that I wanted to work with children, but I wasn’t sure in which setting. After choosing a major in Education, I changed my mind again. Eventually, I chose to work towards my degree I am currently working on hoping to own my own preschool someday or become a youth/family counselor.

With each new course, I find a new interest of mine. For instance, last semester I got heavily engrossed in advocacy work. After learning about the importance of early childhood and how it impacts us throughout the entirety of our lives, I became invested in the youth of my community. In addition to this, since graduating high school I have seen many classmates and childhood friends pass away from overdoses and peer violence. With several of them being in my freshman year of college, I actually wrote a letter to the governor advocating for more consistent and high-quality childcare and family support as a part of one of my course assignments that fall semester. Fairbanks is my home and the youth is our future, so I am very passionate on the issue.

My deep commitment to the families and youth in my community helps me know that social work is the field for me. Although I am not actively seeking a degree in social work, I certainly think of my career path being within the realm. For example, teachers and childcare workers during the early childhood serve as a social worker to the families in their programs. Finding resources and agencies, teaching in the context of families (cultures, ethnicities, economic status, etc.), as well as screening and early prevention are just a few to name.

Aside from schooling, I recently have stepped into true adulthood. I moved out this past summer, got a few pets, went on a trip I paid for myself, and am learning how to master my time management. Between working full-time, school full-time, as well as keeping up on house chores and self care, It can be hard to squeeze in time for play and relaxation. When I can, I’m usually spending my time with my family. We enjoy being outdoors in the summer, listening to music, doing crafts, watching movies, and more quality time type of activities.

As For The Future

Personally, I have a few goals I have set for the near future. One major thing I have been focusing on is working on self acceptance and mindfulness. I have pretty awful general anxiety and it causes me to be stuck in the past or the future too often. Focusing in on the now will help me manage stress better, give my time to appreciate the things around me, and encourage me to accept things for what they are. In addition to this, I plan to continue my fitness/health journey and set out to travel more! April this year I should be going to Mexico and I am very excited. Overall, I want to see more, do more, and harmonize confidently in who I am becoming.

“If you can’t do anything about it, then let it go. Don’t be a prisoner to things you can’t change.”

– Tony Gaskins

Thinking professionally, I have lots of growth and endeavors headed my way. As I mentioned before, each semester and course brings new interests and ideas. For instance, this one has me thinking deep on what I need to know about myself to provide the level of care and support to the future families I will work with. I want to find my voice, meet more people from different walks of life, and continue my commitment as a life long learner. In this field of work things are always changing and people are always growing. Leaving so much room for creativity and new ideas. For the most part, I want to share my knowledge with others, give everyone a voice, and grow a strong and healthy community for the people in Fairbanks.

1. Keyda Lampkin

Thank you for sharing that glimpse into your life. I love all the sweet pet babies you have in the photos. being mindful takes some practice and I too have to be constant in doing so. Again, thank you for sharing.

2. Neveah Reese

Thank you! It has been a blast being a pet momma. Last semester I read a book on yoga and mindfulness for children but found a lot of the information to be applicable and helpful to me too. Here is a link if you are interested in checking it out. https://a.co/d/4evU4sa – Little Flower Yoga for Kids