The Rebel Without a Cause

posted in: Uncategorized | 3

In Athabascan, Nenana means “a good place to camp between rivers.” For most of my life, I have lived at the intersection of the Nenana and Tanana Rivers, in a small rural community of roughly 300 people. I grew up poor, but I had people who loved me, I had people who would go to the end of the earth and back for me, and I had people who tried their best with what they had and made it enough. It was a striking dissimilarity between me and most of the kids around me.

I was an angry 11-year-old. I was angry that I had to leave my hometown of Montoursville, Pennsylvania, and start over again in a new and unique environment. I went from living in a trailer park and attending a middle school of 3,000 kids in one of the wealthiest districts around to living in an old railroad house and attending a K-12th grade school with 8 kids during the rollout of no child left behind. I went from being a small fish in a big pond to a big fish in a little pond.

I was bored in such a small town. In school I was “advanced”, so I didn’t have to try. I only left Nenana about three times a year. I went to the doctor, I went to the dentist, and I went shopping for school clothes. The winters seemed endless and bland, so I spent a lot of time on my phone or watching TV. When the dark and cold subsided I went outside on my bike to fight the mosquitos that would carry out their brutal assault leaving me with bites the size of baseballs. After a while, it seemed like all of the days ran together. I told time by the passing of the two malicious seasons. During those years, I let depression, grief, and anger consume me because I thought that my life was over. It’s kind of funny to think about it now that I am an adult and have “real problems”.

I have had the privilege of having a good and easy life. I had a happy, healthy family that always helped me out when I needed it. I worked as a waitress in my teenage years and when I graduated as the valedictorian of Nenana City Public School I was able to rent and furnish an apartment. I bought a beater with a heater to call my own. When I enrolled at the University of Alaska for the first time most of my classes were covered by my scholarships and my partner paid all of the bills, so I just had to focus on college. However, about a year before I was supposed to graduate, I split from my partner. I didn’t have a job, I didn’t have a car, I didn’t have anything. I fell into a deep depression again that lasted for over a year. I told myself that at the end of the year, I would have maxed out my credit cards so I either had to kill myself or get my shit together.

I decided to get my shit together and it was really hard. I was stubborn and I didn’t want to learn all of the things I needed to be able to do to be a functioning adult, so I made it worse for myself. It was my rock bottom and some days I didn’t eat because I had no money in my weekly budget for food. I was so low that I had to stop stressing because I didn’t have the energy to deal with problems that were not happening. I started working as a teaching assistant and as a night stalker at Walmart. I bought a car from a local used car dealership and it was a complete lemon, so I bought a car for $500 bucks and she’s still my main source of transportation to this day. I moved to a different location and I was able to furnish my apartment with everything I needed.

I look back and I feel grateful. I stood up for myself and I showed up for myself, and I am continuing to show up for myself. I no longer experience grief in the same way. I see grief as the price to pay for experiencing the joy that occurred because of that moment or person. I also don’t let the sadness consume me to the point of self-destruction. I know that life sucks sometimes, but it also can have amazing moments and I always hold out for those. I think that I am still angry. I have always used my anger as a shield to slowly and steadily push me through. I think it’s because I am an Aries and the symbol associated with Aries is the ram. I feel more empowered because I can look back at my situation and see where I went wrong and what I could have done better. Taking accountability can be difficult for me, especially when it’s 99% the other person’s fault, but I can still see the part that I have played. I actively work to find things that bring me joy. I build and foster connections with safe people. And my favorite conspiracy theory is that all my dreams will come true.

Presently, I have graduated from the University of Alaska Fairbanks three times. I have two bachelor’s degrees. One is in accounting and the other is in business administration with a concentration in finance. Additionally, I have a masters in business administration. I have worked for the University of Alaska as an assistant auditor in the Audit and Compliance Services department for over a year now. I also work weekends in the floral department at Fred Meyers. When I am not working, I take classes at the university, spend time with my two dogs and two cats, visit my family, and work out at Planet Fitness. I am not sure I know what I want to do when I grow up, but right now I enjoy being alive and having the opportunity to work towards an amazing, happy, healthy future.

3 Responses

1. Jaelynn Anderson

I am so happy to see such a success story! One bachelor’s degree, let alone two is such an amazing accomplishment. Seeing that you’re still in school makes me wonder; what is your next degree going to be? I resonate with you when it comes to moving from a big city to a small town. I grew up in a city that had a population of almost a million people, now I’m living in a state that has less than that. Also, what’s up with all of these mosquitoes? They drive me insane too.

2. Jillian Bowman

I’m happy you’re still here and that I got to read this. You seem so determined and it takes a whole lot of strength to do what you did and pull yourself up anyway. I feel like I’ve been in school forever and don’t have a degree to show for it yet so I think it’s amazing that you have two. I grew up in Houston, and while it’s not quite the same as where you grew up I often felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. Im curious to know what your next degree is?

3. Elizabeth Jackson

Hi Hailey,
    Amazing story you have. Although we may face financial challenges, having people around us who love and support us and who will do anything for us to succeed is so fulfilling. Some of the most financially successful people I know are so emotionally and spiritually poor. I admire your character for recognizing that.
    It seems that you had opportunities to practice resistance growing up, which by your story, you have done one hell of a job at it.
    Your outlook is truly inspiring. I am intrigued by people like you. People who can build a life for themselves under harsh circumstances. People who defy the odds. People who have the strength to pull themselves out of mental health conditions. I know I don’t know you super well but I am so proud of you.