Who I’m Becoming

posted in: Uncategorized | 2

Where I Started

I was born in Anchorage, Alaska 26 years ago. I am the 3rd of 4 children I was raised with, though there is an oldest one that I’ve never really met. My dad went to jail when I was 3 years old after receiving his 11th DUI and spent the majority of my childhood behind bars. He and my mother separated around that same time, though they never got divorced because “It wasn’t worth the paperwork.” I spent a large part of my earlier years with my grandparents while my mom worked but she did her best to make time for volunteering in school and taking us to church on Sunday. My little brother was born 8 years after me and a couple years later my grandparents moved down south.

Until then they had been my mother’s support system and she relied on them for almost everything. I am the only girl of our sibling set and I ended up spending most of my time with my little brother. My mother had to work nights, so she was out of the house until 10, and spent most of her weekends at bars. Eventually she got into a position where she worked days but I had already grown angry and resentful, so I can’t say I gave her much of a warm welcome. My older brothers are 3 and 6 years older than me and our relationship has never been the best. We were mostly unsupervised and by the time I really bothered paying any attention they were both already into drugs.

My mother’s alcoholism got worse over the years and eventually there wasn’t much she would do besides work. Our town is small, and if you can function enough to drive a mile there really isn’t any need to do more. My little brother got the short end of the stick when it came to her willingness to be a parent, but he’s by for the best of us and has truly been resilient.

Entering Adulthood

I still consider myself in the beginning of adulthood, but it’s been a long 8 years since I turned 18 so it warrants its own section. My nephew was born when I was 17 and within the first week, we realized that perhaps my brother and his fiancé weren’t quite a prepared as we thought. The situation continued to decline over the first half of his life until we realized that both of his parents were struggling with addiction. I got guardianship of him when I was 18 with the hope that his parents would go to treatment and come back ready to parent. As time progressed it became clear that it wouldn’t work how I imagined it.

Eventually, after having guardianship for nearing 4 years of struggle and nearly no contact I filed for petition to adopt, and it was finalized when I was 22 and he was 4. During that time, I did a year of college and then decided to take a break before going back after the adoption was finalized. A few months later my father suffered a series of strokes that landed him in the hospital for 5 months and gained me emergency guardianship to make medical decisions. He came home after 5 months with nearly no cognitive skills and unable to do anything unassisted. For the next 2 years I was his caregiver until a series of hospital stays led me to putting him on hospice and he passed shortly after.

Where I Am Now

I’ve been back in college for a year now and will complete my associate in human services this semester after I finish my Practicum. Afterwards, I will continue to my bachelors in social work. I am currently enrolled in UAA but I’m considering switching to UAF because of the online program.  I am a single mom to a pretty rad 8-year-old who keeps all my evening packed full of sports, as well as a full class load, working full time, and an internship at OCS. Needless to say I have no idea how I would even begin to go about doing in person classes that take place and hour away from me.

As of right now I’m zoned into child welfare and I’m enjoying doing my internship at OCS. I’ve had this saying since I was young that, “Every child deserves to be somebody’s first priority.” It’s nice to be around individuals who have the same mindset and has certainly been eye opening. Social workers have helped me immensely over the years, especially during my father’s hospital stay. They were always the people with the answers or the direction in which to find them which is why I ultimately decided to move into that degree instead of a bachelors in human services.

Where I’m Going

Where I’m going is still a mystery. I’ll finish my associates at the end of this school year and will more than likely apply to OCS when I’m finished with my practicum. I know it’s where I want to start but I doubt its where I want to stay. I haven’t quite figured that part out yet, but social work is such a diverse field I know I’ll find where I want to land. My only real focus on becoming competent as a social worker so that I can help whichever population I work alongside.

I don’t hold any deep love for Alaska, and I apologize to those who do, but I am so incredibly sick of the snow. Eventually I hope to move to Washington, but it wouldn’t be until I finish my bachelor’s, so it isn’t something I’m thinking too much on yet. Until then I’m content to make a life I love here and see where it takes me.

2 Responses

1. Trinity Greer

Your post is very inspirational. It is so great and meaningful that you got guardianship over your nephew when he was not in the best situation. Also, with your dad, you stepped up to gain guardianship over him when he really needed you. You step up when your family needs you, which is so important. I love the quote that you used, “Every child deserves to be somebody’s first priority,” I could not agree more. I work at a preschool, and children cannot do life independently; they need someone to care for them and be there for them. I admire that you took in your nephew and cared for him when he needed someone. I think you will make a great social worker, no matter which population you decide to work with!

2. Jill Shell

Hi Jillian!

I know our families know each other but I don’t think I’ve ever really had the chance to chat with you! It’s funny though how we seem to be on similar paths. Two of my siblings are also dealing with addiction and I just recently adopted my nephew also after him being in OCS custody since birth.

I used to work at OCS in Wasilla. Are you interning in the valley or Anchorage? It’s challenging for sure but also very rewarding.

I agree about Alaska! I love how beautiful it is here and how relaxed the environment can be, but holy moly I am so tired of the cold!

Hope you are doing well!
    Jill