Breaking Chains: My Transformative Path in Social Work

posted in: Uncategorized | 3

My name is Christine, and I am thirty-seven years old. I have taken different paths in my life. My parents divorced when I was six and the toxicity of that was buried till my former years in high school. I carry a fear of abandonment and took a long time to trust people. Watching my mother struggle for a couple of years holding down three jobs while taking care of my brother and me. My mother remarried when I was eleven and the relationship with my stepdad was different than the one my brother had. My stepdad would treat me differently and was quick to be angry when it came to my brother. I became my brother’s advocate and protector at an early age. My mother and stepdad split up when I was twenty-three years old, and my mother had a complete breakdown. My brother and I ended up having to commit her for her safety. My mother refuses to acknowledge that she is bipolar and looking back at my childhood it is noticeably clear she suffers from that.

I was a happy-go-lucky kid who was not the shining star, but also not the wallflower. I grew up in the age of diet culture in the ninety’s and struggled not looking like everyone else in school. I was a little bigger and was self-conscious and lacked confidence. Have a select group of girls I have been friends with for ages and they helped me through my youth. Spent my summers going to a YMCA summer camp and when I turned fifteen, I started spending my summers at the camp. I knew at an early age that I was in a healthier setting being at camp than at home. My first look into social work was at the summer camp. I had a foster child who was dropped off at camp and picked up by a separate set of parents. To watch that child go through all the emotions was a process and experience. My heart went out to the child and know she is a grown adult and I just pray she had a great life.

Dropped out of college when I was nineteen because my parents would not co-sign for a loan and I was paying out of pocket for school and trying to work full time to also cover all my needs. I went to massage school and loved school but hated the actual profession once I started practicing. Spent fourteen years working with Chili’s where I went from server to corporate global trainer where I opened Chili’s around the country and world. Seeing different cultures and dynamics was very interesting.  Finished my career with Chili’s being a manager and training manager where I kept seven restaurants in compliance with training and audits. Unfortunately during COVID, I was able to see the company’s true colors and choose to not return.

My husband Tylar got orders to Eielson AFB in February of 2019, the tail end of COVID-19. When we got here I realized real quick that me getting a job was not a realistic thing. Daycare waitlists were two years long and at that point, I had a one-year-old and almost three-year-old. I instantly became a stay-at-home mom and threw my first winter into the mix, I went through a depression. First time in my life I was not working,  I was struggling so I decided to help the cause, I opened a home FCC (Family Child Care) daycare. I was able to help the community while still feeling like I was contributing to my family. With all my modules and training I was able to collect thirteen credit hours in Early Childhood program. My first goal was to get an ECC associate and work in the office on base to help solve the childcare problem. In November I was “suspended” over issues with staffing in the office. It became clear I was just a number and they did not see my case or my family. I advocated and still am trying to get answers and solutions. I contacted headquarters, every avenue on base and this past week I sent a congressional letter to address this issue. I realized going through all this made me realize that I want to help people. I want to have a voice and I want to see change for the better.

I switched my degree program to Social Work and I am still in limbo as to where I want to navigate to. So many options. I have so many different paths I could take. Feel like I would be wonderful working with children and families. I also have a big heart for the military community and I know there is a huge need for therapy in this realm. This past March I started volunteering at the American Legion in North Pole, our service members need more resources.  Addiction has also plagued my family and I’ve seen the ups and downs around it, so that is on my mind. Hoping this class will help me navigate all these possibilities. When watching your intro video I was very excited to hear about all the growth and change. I spend most days trying to parent with a healthy mindset. I want to raise the next generation to be self-sufficient and accepting of all. I want my children to treat people how they want to be treated and choose kindness while understanding there is such a thing as healthy boundaries.

My children and husband are my driving force. I want to show my children I can chase after dreams, years later and achieve them. My family loves to explore, we camp and check out all the magical places in Alaska. We will be planting a garden this year and I will have my children help tend it and watch it grow. We are a big reading family and love board games and puzzles. I want them to be children with big imaginations as long as possible. This week my five year old starting to pick up books and wanted to read them to me. I offered to give him a dime for every book he completed. Hudson jumped in my bed at five am this morning to read me a book. He is very excited about this new life skill and I just want to nourish these moments and watch him blossom.

Social work is calling my name because I want to be the change the world needs. I know it will be a taxing job if I can help one person then I will succeed. When I was managing all my servers and staff would call me mom. It was very important that everyone felt comfortable and important. I had a few staff members who went through a rough patch and I helped them find free resources and help. I love the culture behind social work. The welfare of the community and guiding and helping with resources. I want to be inspired and work where ethics mean something. Everyone deserves to be heard and everyone has a story. I want to contribute to helping out individuals and creating a stronger community.

Alaska holds a big place in my heart, don’t think it’s my forever home but I will always be attached to the golden heart. With the suspension of my daycare, I can fully focus on my full load at UAF. I would love to be licensed in Alaska and work remotely, wherever the Air Force takes us. The lack of services and care here is alarming and I would love to help out. Excited to grow and learn all the things.

3 Responses

1. Trinity Greer

Your blog post is very transparent. It is inspirational that you want to help people, you want to be the change the world needs, and you care about the people within the community to make the community stronger. You seem very passionate about social work, and no matter which path of social work you decide to go into, whether it be children and families or helping the military community, as long as you are passionate about it and find joy in it, you will succeed. During COVID, you wanted to help the community and opened an at-home daycare; when your coworkers were in need, you helped them find free resources, and you volunteer to help our service members who need more resources. You have a strong will to help people; as you said, I think social work is calling your name. I wish you luck on whichever path you decide to take!

2. Sharla Huckabey

I enjoyed reading your blog. I want to thank you for your sacrifices as a military wife and share a thank you to your husband for his service.

I feel like you have gone above and beyond to help many in need. You seem to have the heart to serve and would do great with Social Work.
    We have something in common; I have been in Food and Beverage for years. My staff never called me Mom but often called me Mrs. Sharla. I understand how you become like their mom, though. That is where I am with my staff now. They often come to me about all kinds of things, not just work-related.
    I feel the pain in the story of your childhood. I am glad you were there for your brother. I am sure he greatly appreciated you advocating for him. It’s so sad that your daycare was suspended. That is so unfortunate because it sounds like it was a desperate need of the community.
    Thank you for sharing your story. I wish you the very best in your future in which ever way you choose to go.

3. Ben Woods

Hi there Christine, I found your blog post very motivating! It’s very clear that you care very much for people (in general) and those around you. Social work is a great avenue and is needed in communities everywhere. I made this same comment on another blog but I feel this applies here too. I firmly believe a life of service is a life worth living. My mother went through a lot and divorced when I was young and had to raise me….(a spoiled, energetic, injury-prone, athlete, and troublemaker). She did so with such love and compassion. I applaud your energy and commitment to your work and motherhood.