A Call for Change: Fighting Systemic Racism

posted in: Uncategorized | 11

Dr. Kendi is one of the world’s leading historians and antiracist scholars. In this article (an extract from his book How To Be An Antiracist) he teaches us about antiracism, starting with introducing us to some of the key components surrounding antiracism then continuing to deepen into the topic of antiracism.

Racism is one of the biggest, and fairly overlooked, problems in the world, specifically in the United States. We all know what racism is; one would assume there is no need to define it. You have either experienced or have seen someone go through it, therefore you must have a sense of what racism means. Even though we all should have an idea of what these categories mean, Kendi provides us with a consistent definition for racism: one who is supporting a racist policy through their action, inaction, or expressing a racist idea.

Antiracism, on the other hand, consists of actively challenging discriminatory practices and systemic racism, advocating for policies that promote equity, and recognizing and addressing the systemic structures that create racial inequity. Kendi says, “If we don’t actively seek to be anti-racist, then racism will persist.” Antiracism isn’t just rejecting racist beliefs/behaviors, but it presumes a commitment to dismount racism in all its forms, both on an individual and systemic level. So I’ll ask, what goes through your mind when you witness or experience racism? Do you react to it? If so, how do you react? Knowing the answer to questions like these will categorize you into 1 of 2 groups: racist, or antiracist.

Dr. Kendi strongly believes there is no neutral ground when it comes to racism; you are either racist or antiracist. You are either contributing to a racist policy, knowingly or unknowingly, or you are trying to dismantle it. A neutral territory implies that nothing is being done towards abolishing racism, therefore cancelling said neutral ground and transforming it into racism.

“To be a racist is to constantly redefine racist in a way that exonerates one’s changing policies, ideas, and personhood”
– Ibram X. Kendi

Implementing the views of antiracism as a non-fixed category into social work would improve our current system and practices by a lot. Social workers would become active advocates for policies that address and dismantle systemic racism.

My Opinion

I have never heard of the word “antiracist” until I did some research for this assignment. Where I come from racism is not a focus of conversation, or at least not as much as it is here in the U.S, this made me quite ignorant on the topic of racism.

I like the idea of defining racism and antiracism not as fixed category, but the opposite. The way most of us were taught what racism represented was by connecting that concept to an evil person, for example the Ku Klux Klan. People might think “I have done good things for people of x minority, I am not part of a racist group. I am not a bad person, therefore I am not racist,” but this is not always true (according to Dr. Kendi’s definition). An example of this could be someone saying “x minority’s people are lazy,” but after, they are showing appreciation for this minority’s culture. In that moment, they are being antiracist. This shows that being racist or antiracist is more about how you act or what you say at any given moment, instead of being a fixed category that defines your identity.

In the end, I believe it’s essential to take into account diverse perspectives, engage in open dialogue, and examine the past and present on this matter to gain a deeper understanding of the complexity of issues surrounding racism and inequity. You may agree or disagree with Kendi’s views based on your own experiences, beliefs, and interpretations, and that is fine, so long as you are open to hearing/seeing various perspectives on this topic!

References:

• TED, (2020, June 17). The difference between being “not racist” and antiracist | Ibram X. Kendi. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCxbl5QgFZw&t=504s
    The Aspen Institute, (2019, June 26). How to be an antiracist. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzuOlyyQlug
  • CBS Sunday Morning, (2022, June 12). Ibram X. Kendi on teaching values of antiracism. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY4jK__2GsE
  • Kandi, I. X. (n.d.). Biography. Ibram X. Kendi. https://www.ibramxkendi.com/bio

All media used in this blog was found on Google Images

11 Responses

1. Neveah Reese

I too have never heard of the term “antiracist”. Growing up, I was raised around a lot of diversity and remember not really learning about race or racism until I entered school. From kindergarten, we start learn about individuals like Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks. While their stories are inspirational in several ways, we still are exposed to this image of racists being mean, bad, or violent people. Even though this is true, Dr. Kendi does a great job dissecting and explaining how racism is much more than that. If you ignore racist ideas and systems, you are supporting them in that way. Ultimately adding to the issue of racism. Antiracists fight against it to discredit the idea all together. This is a new idea, but I think it makes sense.

To answer your questions, I would say something if I saw someone experiencing racism. I currently work at a defense law office downtown Fairbanks. With our office being located where it is, a lot of our clients (typically those who are houseless) use our lobby to take a rest, escape the cold, or maybe get some food or coffee from us. There has been times where others come in and make snood comments about clients’ race or appearance. In response, I “shut it down.” Essentially, our office doesn’t tolerate this behavior and will address it immediately by asking them to not say things like that here. “They aren’t hurting anybody,” we say.

• Sammy Rivera Munoz

Neveah, Thank you. I applaud the way you handled the situations you mentioned, that is an exceptional way to shut down any racist behavior without having to resort to violence or harsh words. Your office is lucky to have you! I wish you luck in your job and this class!

2. Mel Maendel

The term antiracist is a term that I have come across but am not supper knowledgeable about. This blog gave me more understanding of the term more deeply. I do agree with that this is no neutrality when it comes to being either racist or antiracist. In the end if you are being neutral then you are not helping dismantle racism but are allowing the acts and harm to continue. Which contributes to the racism. I grew up in a very poor neighborhood with mostly people of color. I have firsthand experienced about people being racists toward my friends from strangers, cops and even other friends. I had to correct and call out that behavior because if it is not called out it is the same as telling them that it is okay for them to act or talk the way they are about the people you care about. It is not always easy or comfortable to call out those specially in bigger social setting or even to your other friends but doing the right thing is not going to be conformable. I have to tell myself each time that comfort at others expense is adding harm. So there really is no such thing as being neutral.

3. Sarai Gomez

I enjoyed this article so much. I had not heard of seeking to be anti-racist. But Dr. Kendi is right!! If we don’t actively oppose racist policies, we are being racist. Knowingly or not. Something that I noticed in my life is that people who are racists, but not overtly, genuinely think they are not. Because, like you said, they aren’t part of a radical group like the KKK. It’s hard to explain and have them understand that, BUT with this definition of anti-racist, I feel it’s easier to define what falls under the category of racism.

4. Michelle Dunham

Well said Sammy. I also did not grow up with the term “Antiracist” – but I did understand racism. My family were not overtly racist, but certainly within that category. Personally, I never understood the motivation to separate any culture into good, bad or indifferent. We were all the same weren’t we? We all had the same needs, wants and desires? So why do we separate? This just creates a greater barrier to understanding and communicating.

How do we respond when we witness this separation demonstrated before our eyes? Do we allow ourselves to see? Or do we allow old, generational conditioning to impose its will?

Thoughtful or thoughtless? That is what truly separates us. Can’t we all just grow up and talk like grownups? …jussayin’ 😉

5. Alex Beaudouin

Hi Sammy,
    Thank you for your blog about fighting systematic racism. Even though I am not a person of color, I have experienced some kind of racism being an immigrant. So, I can empathize and someone relate to the struggle of systematic racism in America. As Nobel Peace Prize winner Nelson Mandela says “No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” I think being anti-racist is different than saying “I am not racist”. The work of fighting racism demands more than just not being racist. There is a need to recognize systematic racism in America work to dismantle it, and eliminate racial biases, and thus be anti-racist.

6. Victoria Tichenor

Hi Sammy,

I also didn’t know the term anti-racism but was very familiar with racism. My mom’s family are from the South and are quite racist in my opinion. However, my mom has taught me my whole life that everyone should be loved the same no matter what color their skin is. I think Dr. Kendi has some great points when he basically says if you aren’t doing anything to change, then you are part of the problem. I think a lot of the US are really quiet when it comes to racism and their views and that is 100% part of the problem. I really enjoyed your blog and how straight forward it was.

7. Deandra Nicholai

Waqaa Sammy. I also come from a community where racism isn’t as spoken about. We believe that everyone has a story of their own and they should be respected. I also learned about anti-racism when reading and doing some research and also when reading your blog.

• Sammy Rivera Munoz

Hey Deandra, thank you for commenting. I am glad that you have become more knowledgeable on antiracism, and that my blog was part of it. I suggest you look into Dr. Kendi’s work, interviews, books, and our peers’ blogs to hear other perspectives!

8. Jackson Foster

I honestly just recently learned about anti-racism not too long ago but its a good way to describe the amount of hate you have against racism and I am definitely against racism because everyone deserves equal rights like it doesn’t matter the color of your skin or what you look like, all it matters is who you are as a human being like everybody deserves equal rights no matter what color of your skin and the way you look.

9. Mollie Bernhoft

Sammy,
    I enjoyed reading your post, and as many of the other classmates commenting, had not heard of term “anti-racist”. I completely agree that silence and inaction is an enabler, your silence facilitates racism. Those who can claim to not be racist, find comfort in these claims, and I think the awareness that inaction is an act of racism, challenges those comforters, and in search of those comforts people might change their stance and take on an active role. Thank for summarizing and sharing his idea, this post motivated me to learn more, and I am currently listening his TED talk.