Nikki Haley in a Social work Perspective

posted in: Uncategorized | 13

Nikki Hayle is an American politician whose presidential campaign for 2024 is still in its early stages. She was the first woman to serve as governor in South Carolina and aspires to be the first woman president. She seems to be running a conservative campaign. From what I have gathered through multiple websites and speeches, Nikki Haley has taken a conservative stance on hot-take issues such as abortion. According to the website Pass Blue, during her time as governor, “Haley signed a bill banning abortion after 19 weeks unless a mother’s life was jeopardized. She told the US Senate, in her confirmation hearing to become US ambassador to the UN, that she was “strongly pro-life.”  It is important to note that while Haley’s policies and views may not align with everyone’s beliefs, she has been a trailblazer for women in politics and has inspired many young girls to pursue leadership roles. 

Aligne or Diverged from Social Work Values ?

Social workers’ values usually include justice, equality, helping those in challenging situations, being a voice for those who need it most. Nikki Haley’s policies and actions have been supported and hated. For instance, during her time as Governor of South Carolina, she signed the” South Carolina Illegal Immigration Reform Act,” which required police to check the status of anyone they detained and made it a crime to transport an undocumented immigrant. Some would argue that this would lead to racial profiling, while others supported it and believed it was necessary to address the issue of illegal immigration. I think that social workers who work with immigrant and refugee populations would view this policy as harmful to these communities. I believe this could very well lead to racial profiling, and this issue could have been handled with more grace since Nikki’s own family are immigrants. 

In a different light, Haley’s efforts to improve education and job opportunities in South Carolina can align with social work values by helping people find jobs and giving kids more pathways to better futures. She addressed the state’s high school dropout rate and invested in workforce development programs to help people gain the skills they need to secure well-paying jobs.

She has also taken a strong stance on human rights issues, particularly regarding human rights in North Korea and Syria. She has also been critical of the United Nations’ handling of Israel and has advocated for reform within the organization. A social worker who values human rights may view her efforts positively.  

Haley’s stance on helthcare and social reforms

As social workers, we understand the importance of accessible healthcare and human services for individuals and communities in need. She has addressed this issue multiple times throughout her career. For example, during her time as governor, she did not support the expansion of Medicaid in 2012, and her stance on this issue has remained the same. This may have made it difficult for low-income individuals to access affordable healthcare.

Haley is also a “pro-life” advocate. However, I believe that abortion is healthcare. I believe when you put exceptions into healthcare, like, “ well if the persons life is in danger,” it creates grey areas and a lengthy process for the person get the help they need. Coming from my own experience, I had to pay $800 for my abortion. I had to travel over 7 hours and get a hotel room. I spent about $1500. That is expensive, and if we keep limiting abortion access, low-income, possibly middle-class families may struggle with these obstacles to obtain healthcare

Nikki Haley also supports cuts to social safety net programs like food stamps, social security, and housing assistance. This could also negatively affect individuals and families who rely on these programs to meet their basic needs. However, Haley has also advocated for mental health awareness and has worked to increase access to mental health services. As a social worker, it is vital to consider the potential impact of policies on vulnerable populations that politics could have influence on. 

Nikki Haley and Child Welfare

There is not much about Nikki Haley and her stance on child welfare. However, she briefly talks about how she supports child care tax credit and informs us that when she was governor, she was deeply involved with helping people on welfare find work. I can also gather that she tried to help with the foster care system, but I can’t give alot of information about that without paying for more news articles. Everyone in social work has values that align with putting children and families first. Although I can’t find more information yet, it is important to continue to listen to her presidential campaign to see if she will give us more information about future reforms on child welfare. 

Nikki Haley and LGBTQ+ communtiy

Nikki Haley’s record in public statements on diversity and inclusion has been mixed. While Haley has been a vocal advocate of mental health awareness and human rights, she has also taken a conservative stance on LGBTQ+. Haley does oppose government recognition of legally married same-sex couples, transgender participation in sports and LQBTQ+ content in public schools. However, social work ethos generally emphasizes respecting and valuing diverse backgrounds, experiences and promoting inclusivity. This may lead social workers to view her stance negatively, and her stance could majorly impact these vulnerable communities if she takes office. 

Cited work

Davenport, Jim. “Gov. Nikki Haley Signs Illegal Immigration Police Checks Law.” The Post and Courier, 26 Jun. 2011, 

Bilefsky, Dan. “What Nikki Haley Said About Child Tax Credits.” Newsweek, 15 Dec. 2023, .

Davenport, Jim. “Nikki Haley Unveils Education Plan.” WYFF News 4, 17 May 2010, 

Haley, Nikki. “Human Rights: A Cycle of Violence.” CNN, 19 Apr. 2017, 

Lederer, Edith. “It’s Not Great: Nikki Haley’s Record on Promoting Women’s Rights.” PassBlue, 10 Aug. 2017, 

Reston, Maeve. “Nikki Haley Says She’ll Push for Social Security and Medicare Reform.” CNN, 5 Dec. 2023,

Smith, Alex. “Who is Nikki Haley? Where Does She Stand on LGBTQ Rights?” LGBTQ Nation, 14 Feb. 2023, 

13 Responses

1. Simone Smith

Thank you for your blog Bell! I cannot stand this woman. I was just reading about and feeling so inspired by Grandmother Rita and what she teaches and this lady is the antithesis of all that to say the least. Social work is about caring for our communities, our most vulnerable and, from what I can see, Haley has shown that she really does not care. It seems any changes she’s working toward are just about setting any progress we’ve made back to the way it was before. She has said what she thinks she needs to say to get her ahead in elections, but Nikki Haley is all about white, colonial, imperial, patriarchal systems remaining in power. I actually believe both of the parties of our two party system want this, Haley is just one of the nauseatingly obvious.

2. Josh Fine

Nikki Haley stands among the many politicians that I do not like. I am very familiar with her work, her politics are divisive and her rhetoric is manipulative. I have a very specific issue with they way that she uses her family’s migrant background as an excuse to spout fascist talking points about undocumented immigrants entering the United States. Reading what you have written here, though, it seems that you were able to use a little more critical thinking than I have on this topic. I liked the way that you were able to point out that Haley has done some fairly positive things. as well as negative things. Your blog felt somewhat neutral while reading it, which I feel is important if you are aiming to promote people reaching a conclusion themselves. I don’t feel that Nikki Haley’s views align with social work, but I appreciate the neutrality you maintained here, especially after reading some of the sources you used.

3. Sharla Huckabey

I appreciate your blog, Bell. I can see how you have made sure to stay true to remaining neutral. I wish you could have learned more about her child welfare beliefs. I am eager to know how she feels. Like you said, we will have to keep listening to see if we can find out. She does show a lot of mixed feelings so sometimes it is really hard to tell how she really believes.
    I like how you added pictures and color to your blog, it looks very nice.

• Bell Voseberg

Yes, I wish she would’ve spoken more about her beliefs about child welfare, especially since we already have significant problems with the cost of living and childcare. Thank you for seeing my efforts to remain neutral. I do appreciate that a lot.

• Sharla Huckabey

Childcare and the cost of living are out of control. We need to hear from the candidates who will help with this issue.

4. Alex Beaudouin

Bell, thank you for sharing your blog on Nikki Haley. Haley is trying to thread a difficult needle as a true conservative on policies while adopting a moderate Republican approach. While Haley has endorsed invading Mexico and increasing the age at which Americans can receive Social Security benefits. She has called herself a proud “union buster” and said that Florida’s infamous “don’t say gay” law doesn’t go far enough, she also plays the moderate republican card wanting to cut taxes for the wealthy and hike them on green energy companies. To me, it seems like she is trying to distance herself from the failed Trump policies by carving her own path, but also sending mixed messages to her political supporters. I don’t believe her policies and strategies have similarities with social work, certainly regarding healthcare and human rights.

5. John Da Broi

Hi Bell,
    Thanks for what you have shared on the Presidential candidate Nikki Haley. Your information was not biased at all you allowed for the facts to present themselves which shows Haley as a Republican who is looking to be a new modern type of candidate with a more aggressive style of approaching modern-day issues. Personally I can say I do not like her although I might be apart of this newer generation I still appreciate older values.

6. Victoria Tichenor

Hi Bell,

Thank you for your blog post about Nikki Haley. I really liked how you stayed neutral in talking about her. It can be really hard to talk about her when she switches her views so frequently, but I think you really went into deep details about what she views. As someone who’s in a same sex relationship I don’t support her views on the LGBTQ+.

• Bell Voseberg

I don’t support most, if not all, of her views, but I did try to stay as neutral as possible, so I appreciate you seeing that. Thank you.

7. Jaelynn Anderson

Hey Bell,
    While reading the articles that you linked, I remembered when Nikki Haley was governor of South Carolina. The news had reached Virginia, where I was raised, that she was governor and her stances on many political matters were controversial topics. As you had said, she has quite a few non-social work values, but at the same time, many matters also supported the communities. What I found intriguing the most is her view on abortions. Yes, she is extremely “pro-life” and she also said she would sign a “6-week abortion ban” if that’s what the majority voted for. However, as an inspiring social worker, I’ve learned that we need to inform our clients on all reproductive rights and health and “empower clients to act in accordance with their own personal beliefs and convictions regarding abortion, contraception and family planning” (Cjesse).

Cites I used:
    Nehamas, N. (2023, November 18). Nikki Haley says she would have signed Six-Week abortion ban as governor. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/17/us/politics/nikki-haley-abortion-six-weeks.html

Cjesse. (2023, February 24). What is reproductive justice? The role of social workers. VCU School of Social Work Online Master of Social Work Program Format. https://onlinesocialwork.vcu.edu/blog/what-is-reproductive-justice/#:~:text=In%20addition%2C%20the%20NASW%20says,abortion%2C%20contraception%20and%20family%20planning.

• Bell Voseberg

I would support any choice anyone would make toward their reproductive health. If I were to work in a hostile state, I would try my best to point people to the right places to go, such as one that I use a lot because I can not afford therapy, which is the Maternal Mental Health Hot Line. It is not a crisis line, but it’s a safe place for pregnant people or parents, spouses, or caregivers to explain and talk about their situation. In town, there is a place called RCPC ( resource center for parents and children) that can provide formula, diapers, clothes, toys, and breast pumps. There are also things like WIC, and I even use them because I qualify for it. The university itself provides housing for families who are doing college. We do have many resources for caregivers or caregivers to be. However, I also understand the impact of having a child on your everyday life. As someone who struggled with postpartum rage and had an emergency c-section where I even went under and was not awake, So i also understand why someone would not want to do that to their selves and I would also empower them to get an healthcare access that they need, if that is the route they choose.

8. Christine Ryan

Nikki Haley is not someone I can back. I appreciate you staying neutral and vulnerable in your blog. Sorry for the price you had to pay because health care wasn’t on your side. I have a hard time with my body and options being dictated by policies and politics. She will have to be heavily involved with the welfare of children if we are bringing more children into the world. You touched on her views on mental health and how she wants to take that seriously but not talking about LGBTQ+ until after 3rd grade will raise suicide rates and depression among younger children who are being bullied and don’t have a safe place to turn. Not a fan of Nikki. You blog was very insightful and had a lot of statements that showed that she has done some good and I came to you blog with an open mind.

• Bell Voseberg

I completely agree with you; I grew up with two gay godparents, and from a very young age, I knew what gay was, and it never affected me or pushed a sexual preference on me. I tried to remain as neutral as possible because even though I view things a certain way, I can never change another person’s mind. I have to let that person come to a conclusion their selves, and to me, the best way to do that is to give them as much information as I can so they can make an informed decision.