The Benefit of Social Work With the Elimination of Neutral Policy

1. Ian Miller

Hi Trinity. I feel you did really well analyzing and interpreting Kendi’s work. I had never read any of Kendi’s work until this week but I had been introduced to his concepts before. You said that “Being an antiracist is more about knowing and understanding that you are an antiracist, looking at yourself, and analyzing to strive to be an antiracist”. I think that is very well said, especially the end: “analyzing to strive to be an antiracist”. I feel that being antiracist is a constant choice that is made in direct defiance to current social policies. That constant choice making is exhausting and uncomfortable, which is why I feel that there is so much pushback against the antiracist philosophy.

I like your summary of neutral policy: “policy [that] seems like it is meant to prevent racial inequality; however, it still leads to racial inequality”. These kinds of policies are becoming more and more prevalent in our country. Some policy makers are not even trying to hide their nationalist/racist ideas anymore, they are simply coming right out and endorsing terms like “Don’t Say Gay Bill”.

Though I agree with you that the adoption of a no neutral ground policy would be great in bringing more cohesion within our communities, I see that cohesion as being a very difficult goal to achieve. We will get unlimited support in our efforts from those who are willing to see that the change is necessary. But there will be significant resistance from those who are wanting to avoid the conversation. I see that resistance as a huge issue because it represents something very dangerous to our communities; there are people who are very okay with not accepting everyone equally into our communities.

Your quote from the Code of Ethics is perfectly placed! We, as social workers, have to be the example of monitoring for social injustices. We must “pursue social change” (CoE) because, at least in my eyes, the human experience in and outside of our country can be better. If there are ways that our services, methods, policies & procedures, and best practices can better serve those who we serve, it would be irresponsible for us to not seek out those ways. I believe that is how we evolve as a society, forcing our way through the comforts of the lives of those who have all the power.

Thank you for your blog. I intentionally chose yours to interact with because I will be blogging about criticizing antiracism in week 10. So I wanted to get engaged in these conversations now.