The Critical Social Worker Podcast-Episode #36:Linda Thai

posted in: Uncategorized | 7

Photograph of Linda Thai: https://www.linda-thai.com/about/biography
All other photographs are stock images with minor editing for size reasons

7 Responses

1. Neveah Reese

How special! That’s pretty neat how she guided you through a journey and can still be a part of this one in a new way. That is something that I love about Fairbanks, our community is so tight knit. I never have heard of or seen Linda Thai before watching the podcast, but man does she speak in poetry. Each word meshed so beautiful with the other leaving a soothing, but sometimes confusing (due to deepness), feeling of relatability. I found it very interesting how Christian asked about her finding her place in Alaska among indigenous peoples and when Linda spoke about her experiences here, she explained something that a lot of individuals fail (or don’t think) to mention. Her upbringing brought lots of feelings of exclusion. She put in her own words how she felt she wasn’t Vietnamese enough or Australian enough, but Alaska has allowed her to be more with everything. More her, more inclined to experience or indulge nature, more self-aware, more connected to people, and I think that is the special thing about our state. We get to live in a culturally rich environment that is built on love, respect, sharing, nature, and sustainability. Finding that feeling of grounding and self-acceptance is so vital for social work because, if you don’t feel secure how do you plan to guide others in their own security?

Through the resources and materials, as well as professor videos, I have been creating this tight tie between social work and education that wasn’t as strong before. Although I related them, I never thought about how much education fits into social work. A lot of the times we think about counseling, state assistance, or agencies that have case workers working with clients. In reality, education is one of the largest social work avenues and maybe the most impactful. I agree that if we can focus less on academics (or teach them in more interdisciplinary ways) and more on self-identity, culture, emotional intelligence, and the entire family unit we can change the course of our communities. So many systems track us by a race, number, gender, socio-economic characteristics, etc. when really the foundation of all of it is people.

I had a great time reading your blog and seeing how this podcast impacted you both personally and professionally. It’s a new perspective when material can alter you in so many areas of your life. Thank you for sharing yours and getting me thinking!

2. Robi Naranjo

Thank you for sharing and that is awesome that you knew her in real life before now and get to learn from her as a student! I like how you likened people to cells in a body and how social work is like different parts of a body working together.

• Josh Fine

Thank you for reading Robi, though I cannot accept the credit for your comment regarding social workers as the parts of the body. That was Linda’s metaphor, not my own.

3. Sharla Huckabey

WOW!

I first have to say I have never been one to like podcasts. This podcast took me to another level. I can relate to how you say it is an hour and a half long but short. I thought it was too long, but when I started listening, I was so into what Linda and Christian were saying that it seemed like time had passed quickly. I didn’t want it to end.

I think it is incredible that you know her in person. She seems to be a person everyone should meet. The words she speaks and how she speaks them resonated with me. She touched a trigger I didn’t even know I had. When she spoke the words tears immediately rolled down my face. Then I thought, wow, I had never heard that before and certainly had never had something affect me like that.

I like your blog and how you presented about the podcast.

4. Ian Miller

Hey Josh! I do not think I have ever met a person who has met Linda, and not have the most positive things to say about her and their own experiences/growth from their interactions with her. In a world where we have everyone telling us what to do, it is a breath of fresh air to meet someone who helps us speak to ourselves. Which, to me, is the ultimate definition of a mentor.

I too enjoyed the conversation of “healthy aggression”. It is empowering to realize that it is okay to stand up for ourselves and for us to know that the space we take up in this world is our right. But simultaneously being respectful of the space of others. Too often it seems that people want to shush everyone around them because what is being said or felt is too much of an inconvenience. But when people open up space for you, or you open up a safe space for someone else, that is the healthy connections we all truly need.

Thank you for doing a great blog on this podcast!

5. Jillian Bowman

I really loved your blog post and they way you laid it out, definitely taking notes for my own in the future! I’ve never thought of Social Workers as different parts composing the same body but it makes perfect sense! I’ve met so many different social workers the comprise of completely differing roles but usually have the same end goal. Healthy aggression is something I’ve been working towards for a long time though I’ve never called it that. Sometimes aggression has such a negative connotation its hard to do anything but shy away from it. I think it’s amazing that she helped guide you in one path of life and now she has the opportunity to help guide you in another!