Week 4 Blog: Antiracism & Education

Contextualizing Power and Policy: In what ways does the current structure of power influence the creation and perpetuation of racist policies? How can antiracist work seek to not only challenge these policies but also the very foundation of power that allows them to persist? The only way we can lessen the choke hold on racist policies is to educate. 

I had an eye opening, educational opportunity to serve as a Legislative Aide to Alaska State Legislature. I will say that I never experienced any racist issues or situations. But I did have several personal epiphanies. First, the Government actively seeking ways to generate and/or increase income sources. And second, the cost of Education is purposeful by creating limits for those in the minority.

During my tenure of service to the State of Alaska, and the City of North Pole, I was further awakened.

Epiphany #1: I was in Juneau for 2008 session; and a group of us were discussing the advocacy requests from constituents, and someone suggested there might be a way to create a regulation that would be a fee source to generate income for the government. 

I literally felt myself getting sick to my stomach… and then that mental SLAP to the thinker and I was free! And appalled! At the time, I wish I had had the foresight to dig into ALL those regulations and fee sources to really see if they were even needed!!! 

Epiphany #2: Now I was working for the City of North Pole, and another group of us were discussing some sort of regulation that was being reviewed and had lost its current relevance. I asked why we even needed this regulation, and I was told… 

“It costs more to educate than to let them remain in ignorance.”

Ok, I received two mental slaps for that one. Ouch. And this one is still resonating between my eardrums. The question we need to ask AND solve, is the cost and access to education. We all know this, so why can’t we solve it? Ah, the power struggle. 

“Who is strong enough to stand before this Giant?”

With five stones and a sling. That was it. As the story goes. So, I did my brief time in politics, and confess that I did try the Kool Aid, but it did not agree with my constitution. My eyes have been opened, and I know I do not have the fortitude, nor the patience to keep a straight face and deal with them as a legislative peer. Rather? I believe we have more power out here with the doors open. 

The solution is to encourage and support those who do share our beliefs and concerns. Rare they are, and hard to pin down to the truth, but isn’t that our job? To hold them accountable? To question our leadership and expect straight answers?

Intersectionality and Antiracism: The text suggests that being antiracist varies for white people and people of color. How do other intersecting identities (e.g., gender, sexual orientation, class, disability) further complicate one’s experience and responsibilities related to antiracism?

Due to our conditioned upbringing we will react to our environment. And our ability to move outside our comfort zone will be compromised if we do not recognize the condition as faulty. As Social Workers, we don’t have the luxury of our personal feelings. And if your feelings are that fragile, then this may not be the best field of work for you to be in. 

My half-sister prefers women over men. My childhood upbringing taught me this was abominable and her choice created severe distance between her and our father. When I relocated to Walla Walla many years later, she moved in with me. At first, I was very uncomfortable. 

I was conflicted in that she was my sister so I could not see abomination, I saw family. After time we did develop a close relationship. And as I stopped thinking of her in terms that I had been taught, and saw her as a human with a heart that felt the same type of love for a woman as I for a man, well, that is just a matter of the heart. 

The one thing that can complicate our responsibilities to antiracism is only ourselves and our resistance to being a bit more grown up to allow a little more color into our lives.

The Role of Education: How does the current education system, both in content and structure, contribute to or challenge racist ideologies? In what ways can antiracist education disrupt dominant narratives, and how might it be resisted or co-opted by the status quo?

*again, see EPIPHANY #2 above

One of the many problems with the current educational systems contributions to racism, are its authors and those who back and support those authors. It is just another power struggle that many in our country have surrendered to. They have abdicated their ability to challenge or to hold accountable those who are giving our children (and us), misinterpretation.

How can we disrupt the rhetoric? Throw more money at the problem? Have mass outside demonstrations with picket signs? Throw rotten fruits and vegatables?

The solution really starts with us as individuals. Determining truth over almost truth is a start. Questioning our own thoughts, motives and responsiveness to those we have been told are different. Maybe encouraging a little more critical thinking could also be helpful.

The best way to get someone (who is willing) to change their mindset and explore without judgment, is not to beat them over the head with it. This only creates more resistance. Subtly is an art.  Be like ninja.

White Supremacy and People of Color: The chapter highlights that people of color can also uphold white supremacy. In what ways have systemic structures and socialization processes contributed to this internalized oppression? How can critical social work facilitate a collective consciousness among different racial groups for solidarity against white supremacy?

*again, see also EPIPHANY #2 above

One of my favorite quotes relevant to this prompt is from the movie, American President (1995) with Michael Douglas:

“People don’t drink the sand because they’re thirsty. 
They drink the sand because they don’t know the difference.”

This speaks to a peoples surrender to the cards they have been dealt, so to speak. Being told or treated as second class citizens who aren’t smart enough to make for themselves a better life. 

So how do we change minds? How do we change hearts? How do we overcome fierce hatred towards someone they have never met? How can we bridge the gap to understand and yet be able to accept all peoples as human beings?

The answers to these questions are still forthcoming. But in order for us as Social Workers to facilitate any change, we have to start with our own changes. Then maybe we won’t have to say anything.

Let our actions always speak louder than many many many words.

Transformative Change vs. Reformist Change: Given the pervasive nature of racism across individual, interpersonal, institutional, and structural levels, is it sufficient to make “unbiased choices” and adjustments within the current system, or is there a need for a more radical restructuring of society? How can critical social work support and contribute to this transformative vision for an equitable society? 

During my time serving as an aide for the Alaska State Legislature, bills regarding regulation for cell phone use while driving was one of our hot topics. Evidence and testimony and of course many of those terrifying graphic videos of our kids texting and dying horrible deaths was a major shock and awe campaign. I couldn’t agree more that safety is paramount. And just the thought of my own daughter texting while driving gives me nightmares.

On the flipside, although I was in full support of any laws that could keep our kids safe, this was not nearly enough. We were only putting a bandaid on a larger problem and calling it good. And yes, again, it all boils down to education.

Instead of beating everyone down with more laws to resist, why not educate and teach them how to drive? My experience as a School Bus driver was the driving force behind my argument. I had received in depth CDL training so that I could drive on the freeways of Alaska with thick ice fog and not kill us all. Due to my training, my awareness is extreme. I can smell someone getting ready to do something stupid a mile away so that I can avoid it. 

So how can we simple humans transform our society? I would like to believe in “World Peace” without the swimsuit competition. I can only believe in the one life sitting before me (in my future office). 

One. Life. At a time.

How does this article relate to your personal values? The NASW Code of Ethics? Relate to yourself, your world, and social work!

Whenever you read any educational textbook there is a slight concern that the author’s personal beliefs will come through as a dare rather than a challenge. My personal values are on the same track so far and am relieved.

Ethics? I work for a government agency that tests us annually about ethics. And it is one area I can take great pride in. Real Estate also has extensive chapters required to learn about ethics. 

But we can all understand the written definition of ethics, but do we understand how ethics impact the lives around us?

I was being interviewed for a job once and was asked, “What three aspects do I look for in a political candidate?” My response was easy. Ethics. Integrity. And Character. They were surprised by my answer as none of the others interviewed had said so before me. Oddly, I remember nothing else about that interview, except their surprise. 

The article reconfirmed the foundations I have already built within myself and look forward to additional fortifications.

Image resource: Google Images

1. John Da Broi

Hi Michelle,

Reading your blog for week 4 on the topic of Antiracism and Education I have to agree with your advice that we cannot “Throw more money at the problem, Have mass outside demonstrations with picket signs, Throw rotten fruits and vegetables” because these actions do not fix the problem they are band-aid solutions that allow people to relive their frustration on certain issues. I agree we need to start thinking more as people think before we act and what and who those actions will affect.

2. Sean McCrossin

I thought this blog looked especially good due to the color schemes and I enjoyed the unique use of your epiphanies within your paragraphs. I had never seen anything like it before and I might use if for myself the next time i do more of a personal experience piece of writing. I thought your blog was easy to follow and had good content to read. 10/10!

3. Christine Ryan

epiphany #2 This scenario: where they would rather not change their way of thinking because of the assumption the public will not be able to understand or comprehend. “It costs more to educate than to let them remain ignorant.”
    Sounded like they had no intention to educate and those are the hard questions that need to be asked. Good for you Michelle to know your worth stand by your ethical and personal values and find a profession that aligns with them.
    Great job on your blog. You were able to bring in the main points and bring in personal experiences. Your time in politics sounds like it could be rewarding but to also see all the shades of gray that make you question it all.

4. Mel Maendel

Thank you so much for your insight on how some regulations against minority’s and the education of the public. This is really eye opening especially how they stated “It costs more to educate than to let them remain in ignorance.” This quote really is a good way to show how money is valued more than the education of minorities and the public. Going forward we have to have advocate that stand up to remove these regulation so that everyone has a fair start at the starting line. That is why the work of social work is very important increasingly so.

5. Jaelynn Anderson

I love the way you wrote this and managed to indirectly use the website as a stepping stone for your blog. You also took things down to a personal level and how you did your best at a structural level which is very impressive. I hope to learn so much more from you this semester. By the way, I enjoyed the layout and simplicity of your blog extensively.