Navigating Antiracism at the Intersection of Identity

posted in: Uncategorized | 4

February 7, 2024  | Elizabeth Jackson

We will discuss the concept of being anti-racist and dissect the various forms of racism, from individual attitudes to institutionalized discrimination. Intersections of antiracism, in particular, will be a focal point, as we examine how unconscious prejudices contribute to systemic inequities.

What is Racism?

Racism includes various manifestations of prejudice, typically characterized by negative emotional responses towards certain groups, adherence to harmful stereotypes, and discriminatory actions against individuals.

Interpersonal racism happens in interactions between individuals and entails public displays of racist attitudes or behaviors, frequently occurring through direct engagements or actions. It can be anything from using derogatory terms, to hate crimes. It is also often observable to others, occurring in public spaces or social settings. Unlike interpersonal racism, institutional racism operates at a broader level, embedded in the structures and operations of societal institutions. It can be seen through discriminatory policies, unequal access to opportunities, and segregation. Structural / Systemic racism refers to the pervasive network of racial bias present across institutions and society. These systems afford advantages to white individuals and disadvantages to people of color. It can contribute to disparities in education, employment, healthcare, housing, and criminal justice.

Intersectionality and Antiracism

Intersecting identities, such as gender, sexuality, class, and disability, introduce additional complexities to individuals’ experiences and responsibilities regarding antiracism. These intersecting identities can further fuel the challenges faced by individuals, as they may experience multiple forms of oppression simultaneously. Diverse perspectives and experiences shape the strategies individuals use in resisting racism and promoting antiracism. Internalized oppression, complex power dynamics, and marginalization within movements further complicate efforts to address racism effectively. To give a few examples;

In the context of antiracism efforts, the experiences and responsibilities of cisgender men and cisgender women of color differ due to societal expectations and gender norms. Cisgender women of color may face gendered racism, which manifests as stereotypes and discrimination based on both race and gender. They may also be expected to conform to traditional gender roles while also navigating racial biases. In contrast, cisgender men of color may face different expectations related to masculinity and may be faced with stereotypes such as being hypermasculine or aggressive. Their antiracist efforts may involve challenging both racial and gendered stereotypes, advocating for gender equity within racial justice movements, and addressing toxic masculinity within their communities.

Class

Marginalized socioeconomic backgrounds may pose distinct barriers compared to privileged classes, complicating the antiracist discourse with additional layers of social stratification and power dynamics. Typically in low-income neighborhoods, schools often suffer from underfunding. This results in a lack of essential resources in the curriculum. Students in these areas frequently contend with overcrowded classrooms and a scarcity of extracurricular activities. These challenges can significantly hinder their academic achievements and limit their future opportunities. This intersection requires advocating for economic justice and equitable access to resources for all communities.

Sexual orientation

LGBTQ+ people of color often face discrimination in healthcare settings based on both their sexual orientation and race. For example, transgender individuals of color may experience barriers to accessing culturally competent healthcare services due to both transphobia and racism within medical institutions.

When feminism does not explicitly oppose racism, and when antiracism does not incorporate opposition to patriarchy, race and gender politics often end up being antagonistic to each other and both interests lose.”

Kimberle Crenshaw (1992)

How to Take Action From All Levels of Racism

On an individual level, combating racism begins with education and self-reflection. Take the initiative to learn about the history and impact of racism through various mediums. Reflect on your own biases and attitudes, and be willing to confront and unlearn internalized racism. Speak up against racist remarks or behaviors when encountered, advocating for equality and justice. Additionally, support antiracist initiatives by contributing to organizations or movements promoting racial equity.

On an interpersonal level, addressing racism involves fostering dialogue, actively listening, and amplifying marginalized voices. Engage in open and respectful conversations about race with friends, family, colleagues, and community members. Listen actively to the experiences of people of color, validate their perspectives, and show empathy and support.

At the institutional level, combating racism involves advocating for change and holding institutions accountable. Advocate for policies and practices that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion within workplaces, schools, and healthcare systems. Hold institutions responsible for addressing racism by demanding accountability in decision-making processes.

At the structural level, addressing racism, although may seem out of touch, can include advocating for policy change, grassroots support, and economic justice. It is also our job to advocate for legislative changes to address systemic racism and support movements fighting for structural change. We must push for economic policies promoting wealth equity and empowerment in marginalized communities. Ultimately, working towards restructuring systems to prioritize equality and justice, regardless of race.

References

Crenshaw, K. (1992). Intersectionality. LBGTIQ Intersect. http://www.lgbtiqintersect.org.au/learning-modules/intersectionality/

Kendi, I. (2021, December 16). Being antiracist. National Museum of African American History and Culture. https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-about-race/topics/being-antiracist

4 Responses

1. Robi Naranjo

I really appreciate your infographic and bullet point type presentation in your blog! It really does help digest all the information and makes it clear, easy to remember and apply.

2. Trinity Greer

Your blog was very informative. I really liked that you included “How to Take Action From All Levels of Racism,” it allows for a more in-depth understanding of what someone could do at different levels, including individual, interpersonal, institutional, and structural, which is very enlightening. Something I feel like is not really talked about enough is racism in schools. The website said, “On average, children of color are disciplined more harshly than their white peers. They are also less likely to be identified as gifted and have less access to quality teachers.” That is so absurd; kids should have access to equal educational school opportunities. As you said, “These challenges can significantly hinder their academic achievements and limit their future opportunities. This intersection requires advocating for economic justice and equitable access to resources for all communities.” I agree entirely that something needs to be done. Also taken from the website, “Being antiracist results from a conscious decision to make frequent, consistent, equitable choices daily. These choices require ongoing self-awareness and self-reflection as we move through life… Being racist or antiracist is not about who you are; it is about what you do.” I think this is something that people should realize; they can change and make a difference and help children have better access to education. As you mentioned, “At the institutional level, combating racism involves advocating for change and holding institutions accountable. Advocate for policies and practices that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion within… schools…” This is certainly something that needs to be spoken about more to push people to be more aware of the issue, not just in schools but in general. They also need to know what they can do and how they can help.

3. Simone Smith

Hi Elizabeth, thank you so much for the blog post on anti racism! I have always thought of myself as someone who was not racist. Over the past 5 years, I have been blown away learning that I have always been racist, just in an ignorant, covert, insidious way. I realize now that racism is so much more than I realized. The different levels and types of racism that you describe were never taught to us growing up! It’s like racism was just this bad era of the past that Martin Luther King Jr. helped rid our society of, like a nice happy ending that we can all be proud of. All the school lessons and Hollywood films taught us that it’s mostly in the past, except maybe in the deep south. Ugh, I cringe at how ignorant I was. I appreciate how you list how we can take action in the different levels of racism. I’ve thought a lot about how important it is to me for my social work to be intersectional. Not every race faces the same injustices and if we are to make real change we have to keep this in mind.

4. Jaelynn Anderson

I like how you took the information from the article and put your spin on it. Coming at it from all aspects in a way that says that anyone can do something to prevent racism at all levels. Being an antiracist is an extremely important personality trait, especially in the field that we are going into. I feel like most of us have dealt with racism against an individual that we’ve encountered. This normally affects how we first view a person’s personality and how they act towards others. Like it said in the article, and this is a paraphrase; we’re not born racist, but it is learned. Your blog post suggests how to tackle racism from various aspects. Great work!