Being Antiracist

posted in: Uncategorized | 3

I think a very relevant example of how power influences the perpetuation of racist policies is the common ideology of American politicians taking the stance of being ‘tough’ on crime. This stance of being tough on crime has been a standard stance for decades now and it is one of the few bipartisan ideologies. The ideology of being tough on crime has increased incarceration in America due to mandatory minimum prison sentences for non-violent crimes, like drug possession. At surface level a ‘tough on crime’ ideology might look like a good way to reduce violent crime but in actuality, what it has done since the 1980’s is increase the number of people incarcerated as well as result in much longer prison sentences for non-violent crimes. Statistically speaking, according to the National Institute of Justice as of 2008, one in fifteen black men are incarcerated. This is a stark contrast to the one in one hundred and six white men incarcerated. This is not because black men are more likely to commit crimes but rather a result of aggressive policing of black communities and things like racial profiling. This current powerful influence of being tough on crime has perpetuated racist policing policies and caused a disproportionate amount of black men to be incarcerated.

Another issue with black men being disproportionately represented in prisons comes from the thirteenth amendment of the constitution that outlawed slavery. The thirteenth amendment states that slavery and involuntary servitude are forbidden except as a punishment for crime which is the reason why Jim Crow laws were instituted once the Civil War was over. The result of these tough-on-crime policies has resulted in higher incarceration rates for black men who are subject to prison labor where they make pennies on the dollar for the work they do while incarcerated. We are experiencing modern-day Jim Crow laws just under the guise of being ‘tough on crime’. I think that prison reform is vital in antiracist work due to these reasons. Not only do we need prison reform but antiracist individuals also need to challenge these ‘tough on crime’ ideologies as they have done little to reduce violent crime. It starts with talking to our local and state representatives in government as well as prison reform education.

Our current educational system does not do enough to challenge the racist history of this country. In parts of this country they still teach the Civil War was simply about the confederacy fighting for states to have rights against the federal government but a more accurate account of the Civil War, is that the confederacy was fighting for the right to enslave people to maintain free labor. The education system needs to tell history to its full truth and when history, like that of the American Civil War, is taught in half-truths with an omission of the racist ideologies that are relevant then our education institutions are contributing to existing racist ideologies instead of challenging them.

White supremacy is systemically and subtly upheld by things like media, media representation, and our culture’s beauty standards. Things as simple as the horror movie trope that the black man dies first, and the only survivor of the story is a beautiful white woman with blonde hair can contribute to the internalization of racist ideologies. Yet, you can find this across the entire genre of scary movies. Another issue in media is how the women deemed the most attractive in a film or TV show that more often than not, she is white. It is sadly rare to see black women put on the pedestal as the most beautiful or protagonist and this contributes to the cultural ideas of what beauty is as well as the standards that women need to live up to. A way to facilitate a collective consciousness against white supremacy is the change these tropes and expectations in media and media representation.

Critical social work needs to emphasize the importance of building solidarity across different social movements. Antiracist work also needs to be anti-misogynistic, anti-homophobic, etc., to realize full cultural change. Critical social work can support and contribute to transforming society by engaging in policy changes that address the root causes of inequality, things like challenging discrimination laws and advocating for the allocation of resources to marginalized communities can move mountains in this work.

3 Responses

1. Josh Fine

Hi Alex,

I enjoyed your entry and wanted to thank you for the details and personal opinion that you included in it. It took me a good number of years into my adult life to understand the difference that race makes in this country and the world. I struggled to see it because I personally felt that I was not racist and that was enough for me. I have begun to understand that being anti-racist is the only way to real equality and equity. Just refusing to be a negative presence isn’t enough, you have to go out of your way to be a positive one. Thanks for the insight!

2. Jackson Foster

Your discussion about the true meaning of racism and other forms of discrimination within media representation is so important just because of how serious racism is and by challenging these stereotypes and promoting diversity in media, we can work towards a more inclusive and equitable society.

3. Christine Ryan

Hey Alex,
    Thank you for the takeaways on this subject were spot on. I agree with you, In the 1980’s my other class just touched on Nixon’s “War on Drugs” which brought a lot of discrimination against minorities. It is insane that “Five grams of crack triggered an automatic five-year sentence, while it took 500 grams of powder cocaine to merit the same sentence.” That fact baffled me. Cocaine was an expensive drug mostly consumed by blue-collar white men. The lines were drawn, and this war was more about race and had a ton of negative connotations.
    Media and stereotypes are drawn in the sand. Finally feel they are trying to switch the narrative but there is a long road ahead and we still need to fight for equality.
    Thanks again for defining racism and discrimination.