The Power of Experience

posted in: Uncategorized | 8

8 Responses

1. Deandra Nicholai

Hi Trinity! Lesther Papa sure did tell an impactful story. He told a story that I will remember for a while about wanting to eat rice for breakfast at a hotel. I enjoyed listening to his story and it brought me hope that many people tell their personal experiences and cultural background to those who grow close to them. Understanding and connection is an important part of our lives and our work.
    I enjoyed reading your blog!

2. Neveah Reese

Great blog Trinity, I really liked how to blocked the sections you wanted to talk on and made it all look very aesthetically pleasing. I too enjoyed listening to this podcast and learning through Lesther’s personal experiences. I have heard the term “microaggressions” before, but I feel like the definition was never explained. Now I have a clear understanding of the term and can begin being aware of my own. It was very interesting hearing them discuss how the Utah community is kind and helpful, but for a lack of better words, at times ignorant. I felt this was similar to the Fairbanks community in regard to the indigenous population. We live, work, and play on their land, yet many of us don’t know their values, practices, languages, etc. In addition, there is stereotypes and/or microaggressions (used intentionally or unintentionally) that heavily impact indigenous peoples negatively. It fascinates me how race, identity, and another other personal characteristics are experienced so differently based on person and geography.

• Trinity Greer

I feel the same way about the indigenous population of Alaska. I do not live in Alaska, and I am not from Alaska, but I took an Alaskan culture class here at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, which was very insightful. I also visited Fairbanks over Thanksgiving break to see my husband, so I got to see a little bit of Fairbanks while I was there. While I was in Alaska, I was super interested in seeing the museum on campus; if you have not been there yet, I highly recommend it; it was so insightful, and I was so excited to go and see some of the history. I got to see a little bit of the history of Alaska in other places in the Fairbanks area as well while I was there. However, taking my Alaskan Native class, I learned about the indigenous communities being more modernized. It was also presented in Grandmother Rita’s video from last week, where it was said, “Yupik people struggle with U.S. policies… outlawing tribal language and tradition.” I feel like the microaggression and stereotypes are the way they are because of a lack of knowledge overall. Many indigenous languages end up going almost extinct because they become forgotten about. For the example with, Lester and people asking him, “What are you? Are you some sort of Mexican?” When he said Filipino, he said he needed to explain what Filipino was and where the Philippians were, that it was in Asia and not Mexico. As Lester said, those people are ignorant; they do not know, and they are not knowledgeable about it. However, like Lester said and I pointed out in my blog, people need to change how they say things or even their word choice. As you said, “There are stereotypes and/or microaggressions (used intentionally or unintentionally) that heavily impact indigenous peoples negatively.” I agree; the people who are doing it intentionally are just wrong for that, but the people who are doing it unintentionally, I feel, need to be more educated and more knowledgeable. If more people knew the effect stereotyping and microaggression had on people, I think it could really make a more significant difference.

• Neveah Reese

I couldn’t agree more. I am also taking my cultures in AK course at the moment and have been learning so much! I grew up in Fairbanks and also attended an Elementary school that is very in touch with indigenous cultures, yet thinking back I can think on times where I was unintentionally using microaggressions. Taught perhaps by my community, family, or even friends. This is why I love that UAF has all their students take Alaska Native themed courses so we can become more educated on where and who we reside with.

3. Alex Beaudouin

Hi Trinity,

Thank you for sharing DR Lesther Papa’s story. Living in Arizona, and having traveled and spent some time in Flagstaff, near Northern Arizona University, I can recall a very different demographic than Phoenix. Flagstaff has a strong indigenous population with 11.7% Native American and around 18% Latino. I am sorry to hear that Lesther Papa had to experience microaggression. It is very demeaning to self-esteem and the feeling of not belonging. When Lesther Papa says “any type of either verbal or nonverbal it can be intentional or nonintentional. But what it needs to do is communicate either some form of hostility, some way of insulting or demeaning or making you feel ashamed that you’re part of a group, or even dismissing your experiences because you are of a certain group”, I can relate to that since I am originally form France, and even though I am white caucasian, I stand out due to my accent. I experienced microagression without realizing it or putting a name on it, but thanks to your blog I know now how to call it. Unfortunately, some people sometimes relate an accent with a lack of education or intelligence. Bias based on accent is a form of discrimination or microagression. Addressing microagression requires education, awareness, and a commitment to creating inclusiveness.

4. Christine Ryan

Great job Trinity! Enjoyed your take on the blog. I just listened to it and then hit up your blog, and already forgot about Lester talking about preserving the land. Thanks for bringing this back to the forefront of my mind, very important.
    The Arizona incident in the Safeway with Lester would be a perfect example of microaggression. I am from Arizona and have lived in Prescott, which is not too far from Flagstaff, there is a huge stereotype against Native Americans. Mostly categorized as drunks, lazy, and waiting for their checks. My family is native American, and our tribe is from Oklahoma. I did not grow up on the reservation, but I have visited it and it made me respect my heritage and all the struggles my family has had. I felt for Lester in that moment and honestly, any native American who also had to feel singled out.
    The taxicab conversation about asking the driver from where he was from. I never once considered that a microaggression and I am guilty of asking that question. Again, being from Arizona I am used to everyone being a transplant and I am curious about people’s history. My husband is in the Air Force, and we are moving around, and I am looking for common ground and conversation about home. After listening to Lester’s point of view I will be more intentional on how I bring it up, making it more personable and inviting.
    Thanks again for your blog an experience shared.

5. Ben Woods

Hi there Trinity, great blog post! I think I’ll listen to this one after I’m done with homework today. What I thought was interesting was that he experienced microaggression in Arizona going to college. For some reason (I haven’t figured out why yet) people lose their manners somewhere in the transition from high school and into adult college life. Now, I know this isn’t everyone nor does everyone go to college. I’ve noticed this at work, in classes, and simply out in public. I thought it was interesting how he connected how the child didn’t want to do his homework not because he was lazy but because he missed his father. I often think about how many events we go into feeling that something is missing or inhibiting us from experiencing certain events simply because we want a family member there or a special someone to experience it with. I believe life is meant to be shared but we have to be careful who we share it with because we only have one shot at it! (Just my personal beliefs.) Good detail on your post Trininty!

6. Maren Chaffee

Hi Trinity, great work on your blog! A few things stuck with me listening to the blog, but Papa’s awareness of microaggressions, acquired during his time at Northern Arizona University, underscores the impact of seemingly innocuous behaviors on individuals. His insights emphasize the profound importance of language and implications, highlighting how unintentional implications can cause harm and fostering a greater awareness and sensitivity to the impact of words and actions on diverse cultural backgrounds. I could listen and ask questions when this was recorded, and I loved how he stayed connected with his culture, being away from Hawaii with food and sharing with people. Again, great work!