Regional Variation

Christian Settler
Christian Settler is the host of the Critical Social Worker which is a podcast that uses the values of Social Work to open the door to tell peoples stories and their experiences. He is a current professor at the University of Alaska in Social work.
Gabe Tegosiak
Hailing from Utqiagvik, also known as Barrow, Alaska, he holds a profound bond with the land and waters of Alaska, embracing the lifestyle of subsistence living. Although originally from Barrow, he has since made his home in Anchorage, Alaska. His perspective revolves around the interconnectedness of everything in nature, viewing the environment as a web where even distant relatives might be perceived as visitors saying hello.

How do traditional values contribute to environmental activism?
Gabe shares that the traditional values of the Inupiat community revolve around embracing a simpler life and taking pride in their heritage, he expresses that his people have learned verbal communication, song, and dance. However, these values may seem unfamiliar to individuals in more western areas, where activities like hunting seal, whale, moose, and caribou might be viewed as excessive and extreme. In such regions, the presence of a grocery store on every corner is considered ordinary, highlighting the contrast in lifestyle. Coming from Los Angeles, California, I’ve experienced a huge difference in the way of life here in Alaska. Listening to Gabe’s perspective on the podcast, I could vividly picture the adjustments he had to make, especially considering that his parents still reside in a house without running water(dry cabin). It’s fascinating to learn that they choose to walk everywhere in Fairbanks, even in the extreme cold, with temperatures dropping to -40. It’s a massive reminder of how different daily life can be in Alaska compared to more modern/western settings. Gabe’s account of leaving a skinned seal to dry on a rack being a social norm in Barrow, but not necessarily in Anchorage, where he now resides, which adds another layer to the diverse practices within Alaska itself coming from Alaska which I would think it would be accepted everywhere. This practice highlights the regional variations and the unique ways in which people adapt to their environments, even within the same state. It’s a reminder that Alaska’s vastness holds not just geographical differences but also diverse cultural practices that shape everyday life. He stresses that is is essential for the native community to recognize the broader context, particularly considering Alaska’s political landscape. Gabe states that he has to remind his friends in his native community/circles that as a red state, Alaska tends to support drilling and consumerism, especially in the realm of fossil fuels. Navigating this reality becomes an additional aspect for the native population to comprehend and adapt to in their efforts to preserve their traditions and values. I understand how Gabe’s friends do not accept modern day oil drilling because they see it as a invasion on their land from people who they do not know and trust. We as people that are not apart of the non-indigenous need to step into their circles and dive into their practices and culture. Gain insights into how they arrived at the place they now call home, understanding the unique journey that shaped their community. Now we can explore the specific challenges they’ve faced and triumphs they’ve experienced in overcoming the obstacles life has thrown their way. Immerse yourself in their world to foster a deeper understanding of their lives and the rich tapestry of their cultural heritage.

How are we joining Native and western Ideas?

Gabe Tegosiak has worked with several accredited organizations such as the Alaska Federation of Natives, First Alaskan Institute, and the Siļaliņamiut Arctic Just Transition Coalition. With the use of these more modern scientific organizations Tegosiak is able to cement his own footprint in the world he has grown up in and this new western world which is currently changing everyday. Gabe used the terms “cousins” by referring to the native americans in the “lower 49 states” including Hawaii who were practically erased from existence by the United States Government because they occupied land which interested them. Which I find interesting because of these deals that previous generations of Alaskans have made with the United States Government that protects their land and ensures that it will stay in their culture for many generations to experience their culture and traditions. I think Gabe is doing the smart thing with his role in activism, his continuance of living a subsistence life to stay connected to the land his ancestors had before him.

How can individuals contribute to the protection of this unique ecosystem?

Tegosiak has learned that if people take time to have the opportunity to dive into their practices and culture, they are able to gain a deeper understanding of the significance behind their decision to reside in a remote land. It allows us to appreciate why they opt for a more challenging way of life, foregoing the convenience of settling in places like Fairbanks or Anchorage, where everyday amenities are more readily available, in favor of a lifestyle that holds greater meaning for them. It’s clear why individuals choose to reside in the northernmost part of Alaska it’s not just a location, but their home, where their culture and traditions originated. In this remote place, they find acceptance, where what may be considered different elsewhere is the normal here. We all have a place that holds profound memories and significance, imagining someone encroaching on that space for profit, particularly for the extraction of resources like oil, is a stark contrast to the value placed on memories and culture. I admire their perspective, because it resonates with the deep attachment many of us have to our homes and childhoods. Choosing to prioritize cultural heritage and memories over the allure of modern consumerism profits speaks to a respect for the intrinsic value of one’s upbringing. The motion of erasing these cherished aspects for short-term gains is something I find deserving of admiration something I would of never learned of without listening.

My Thoughts

Listening to this podcast has enhanced my comprehension of the native lifestyle and illuminated the dynamic interaction between Alaskan natives and those of us from the “western” world. It reveals the intricate ways in which we can step into each other’s circles, and create an environment of mutual learning and integration into each others own diverse worlds/circles. Leaving this podcast, I find myself reflecting on what I’ve done to understand the land in the interior I’ve called a temporary home for the past two years. It’s prompting me to consider how I can further immerse myself in this culturally rich environment of Fairbanks, Alaska, before my I leave. Exploring the differences of Alaska’s diverse regions and understanding how geographical differences shape societal norms has become particularly intriguing to me now. Initially feeling that Fairbanks was a lot to take in coming from Los Angeles, I now realize that the uniqueness of this area extends beyond the initial adjustments. There’s a large appreciation growing within me for the cultural richness in the different corners of Alaska. Now if I am able to absorb as much as I can from this experience before leaving is quickly becoming a compelling motivation, this podcast has encouraged me to dive deeper into the stories, traditions, and habits that make Fairbanks and Alaska as a whole a truly distinctive and valuable part of my journey of schooling.

1. Sean McCrossin

Alaska being especially known as the last frontier goes to show how much this state has to offer I think. There are likely still so many things hidden in Alaska that you just can’t say about many other places. Dating back millions of years ago native tribes lived in Alaska with proof of their tools being buried underground. These tribes were blocked off from Canada and North America because of the glacial walls. So it was thought that until enough of this melted no human had set foot there. However, their tools were found buried that dated back even before this was possible 11,000 years ago. So there are theories that the first boats were made back then and not as recently as human history originally thought. That way they could sail around it and migrate to warmer areas further south. Maybe they did make a boat, and/or Alaska had something special about it. So I enjoyed hearing your thoughts about learning what you can about Alaska because I’m sure there is so much to learn and so much that we just can’t learn at the same time.