Subsistence Is Not What It Use To Be

posted in: Uncategorized | 12

Indigenous people had been utilizing the lands for hundreds of years. They used the lands to provide for surveille. Resources from the lands were used not only for food to feed their families, but also many other ways to help them survive, from warmth to cultural regalia. The lands were used generation after generation, before it was taken from them through colonization. When Russia took the land from the Indigenous people many things began to change. The lands were no longer being used for subsistence; they were being used to gain a profit. Trade was introduced in the area. Slavery was introduced, diseases were taking over the people, laws were being put into place that put a big hindrance on the people and their way of living was no longer what it used to be. They were trying ever way to get rid of the Indigenous lifestyle, language, and culture. Heather Sauyaq Jean Gordon points a lot of this out in her article.

KATIE JOHN: SUBSITENCE RIGHTS

Katie John stands near her fishwheel on the Copper River in Alaska in July 1994. (Erik Hill / ADN archive 1994)

Alaska Native Rights Champion Katie John Lived What She Believed: Honesty, Trust, Love, and Forgiveness (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

In 1960 the State of Alaska Board of Fisheries closed subsistence fishing. In 1985 a lawsuit was filed by Katie John fighting for the right to fish at her fish camp on the Copper River. Katie John fought hard for three decades to be able to regain her fish camp and rights to fish where her family had fished for many generations. The government was not going to give in to her wishes at all. Even though she finally won her case after she had passed away, to this day the state is still trying to overturn the case. May 31, 2019, was official designated as Katie John Day. Every year there is a celebration held by the family on this day. I personally have attended some of the celebrations on Katie John Day in Mentasta. Alaska’s first Katie John Day:  A celebration of her fight for subsistence rights – ICT News

CURRENT TIMES:

Indigenous peoples continue to utilize the land today, only it is far more regulated. Therefore, they cannot live off the land as they used to. Everything has its limits and restrictions that have kept them from being able to live the way the generations before them lived. They have always lived by preserving for the future. In today’s times, indigenous peoples barely get enough cultural foods to survive the winter. Therefore, they have no extra to put away for the future.  

The state and federal land management laws, policies, and procedures should be focused more on an indigenous lifestyle. Indigenous people believe in never taking more than you can eat. Never waste any part of the animal; no meat goes unused. They give thanks to the animal for giving itself up to them. It is not about a trophy but about providing the family with the cultural food they have survived on for many years and preserving it for the future.

Developing Co-Management stewardship between Indigenous peoples and the state or federal government does not work if they do not allow the Indigenous people to have a genuine say in how things are done. Allowing them to utilize their knowledge, history, and culture would allow for a more sustainable, equitable approach to stewardship. If the government does Co-Management but doesn’t consider the Indigenous knowledge being brought forth, then this Co-Management really should not exist. They make it seem like they are allowing for the knowledge by allowing Indigenous bodies at the table, only to have their input over ran by so many other state and federal officials at the table as well. The government should learn from the Indigenous people. Indigenous people know how to preserve for the future. The government knows how to run things dry so there is none for tomorrow. The government should step back and let the Indigenous people live off the land how they use to. The way fishing and hunting is set up now, only the outsiders benefit more from it. It’s all about the money, and how much you can afford to pay for a tag, or if you are lucky enough to be drawn for one of the few spots given out to hunt in certain areas.

WHERE TO GO FROM HERE

Times have truly change and because of it the culture, and subsistence way of life is being over ran. Bring back the true subsistence way of life for the people. Let them live their life the way they were taught for generations. Remove the laws that hold them back and give them back their freedom. They cherish the land, they respect the land, and they deserve the land.

I have included the two maps above to show how much of the state of Alaska lands are held by different entities. As you can see most all of the land has been taken over by the State and Federal government. I also wanted to share a map showing the different cultural regions in hopes this might help you to understand how much of the state of Alaska is consumed by Indigenous peoples and culture.

** Photos were taken from the internet.

12 Responses

1. Neveah Reese

You pointed out a great point in your blog about how in the Indigenous culture they use each part of an animal. No resource goes unused or cherished. Today, we have people who hunt simply for the “good meat”, antlers, and stories. Allowing co-mangagement of stewardship would influence the way non Alaska Native people interact with the land and animals. It would encourage them to respect each animal and be joyous of the materials they offer us.

• Sharla Huckabey

Neveah,
      Yes, it is so important that non-natives are taught how to treat the lands and animals. Respect what you get and be grateful for it all.

2. Christine Ryan

Thanks for the visual representation of the maps and all the land being utilized. Katie Johnson is a true advocate of her time. Standing up against the man to preserve her rights and the rights of the native people. Very cool she was given an honorary doctor degree at the University of Alaska. She has done a lot of good for the indigenous people of Alaska. Fingers crossed they don’t successfully overturn the case.

• Sharla Huckabey

Christine,
      Yes, I thought it was awesome that she received an honorary doctorate. She graduated with her daughter Katherine. That was a great moment. Yes, I hope the case does not get overturned.

3. Trinity Podbicanin

I took an Alaskan Native class here at UAF, and we actually learned a lot about this. How the native tribes have become more modernized, and how they do not have access to subsistence like they used to. It really is devastating how much they have been modernized and how much they have lost. I completely agree with you that they should have their freedom back. As said in the article, “Colonizers took over land management, using Western scientific models and ignoring Indigenous Peoples’ Knowledge and sovereignty, leading to a lack of sustainability of the fish, wildlife, and plants and concern for the survival of future generations resulting in issues of food insecurity for Indigenous people relying on the land and water for food.” It is actually unbelievable how much of the land is taken over by the state and federal government; it does not give much room for the natives who have lived there for generations and can no longer have the subsistence they once did. Something definitely needs to be done. I appreciate you adding those maps to really put the different land ownerships into perspective.

4. Ian Miller

Hi Sharla, thank you for sharing the information you did about Katie Johnson. I may have heard her name before, but I was very ignorant to what she fought for and for how long she fought. Her story is truly remarkable.

You stated that “Developing Co-Management stewardship between Indigenous peoples and the state or federal government does not work if they do not allow the Indigenous people to have a genuine say in how things are done”, and I could not agree more. I see the idea of “stewardship” as being a false compromise, or how you said, “They make it seem like they are allowing for the knowledge by allowing Indigenous bodies at the table, only to have their input over ran by so many other state and federal officials at the table as well”. The stewardship is the absolute least that the Alaska Natives deserve, authority to preserve the chance at a future that somewhat resembles their past. But I think stewardship is an insult to the Indigenous people, it is like stealing a house from someone and telling them they can stay in the garage as long as they maintain the whole house.

• Sharla Huckabey

Katie John’s story is very remarkable. She fought so hard and never wanted to give up. Yes, stewardship is just a little of what the Alaska Natives deserve. State and Federal government needs to step aside and let the Indigenous peoples live their true subsistence way of life.

5. Mollie Bernhoft

You did a really good job on this post. I was disappointed that before this weeks lesson I had never heard of Katie or this specific case. I’m from Sitka, Alaska and there and as it seems everywhere indigenous people are fighting for rights to lands that had belonged to their people and their right to practice subsistence/cultural activities. It is aggravating for me to hear about these things and it saddening, we should be protecting and cherishing these cultures and the people their practices, and especially the land.

• Sharla Huckabey

Mollie,
      Thank you for your kind words. I guess to me I thought everyone knew about the Katie John case. With me living here close to where she is from and taking many Tribal Governance classes, Katie is a vast topic.
      I agree with about the aggravation. It is heartbreaking how things went down and how the people have been treated.

6. Maren Chaffee

Sharla, Thank you for your insightful blog on the impacts of subsistence and the changes in cultural subsistence rights. Living in Alaska for 25 years, I’ve witnessed and heard about the challenges and struggles of subsistence hunting and fishing. I’ve seen how this is a main part of people’s lives in my area. This is how they survive the year. Culturally, this is the way of life for many people in Alaska. I hope for positive changes and greater preservation of the subsistence way of life for the people in Alaska.

• Sharla Huckabey

Maren,
      We really see the impacts in our region here as well. With all the regulations and the time restraints many natives go without their cultural foods. I too hope for a postive change.

7. Deandra Nicholai

Waqaa Sharla, good job with your blog! You mentioned “Indigenous people believe in never taking more than you can eat.” That is true, we gather food that is enough to feed our family for a time period that is enough to last until the next season. When we have “too much” of what we have, we share and give the people and/or communities that were not lucky.