The 1,000 Year Fight: A Culture Rooted in Perseverence

Dating back over a thousand years, the indigenous population has lived off the land we now call Alaska. During this time they managed the land, waters, and other natural resources such as plants and animals in such ways that kept their families fed, warm, healthy, strong, and resilient. Their practices represented their traditions and values rooted in respect for one another, the natural land, elder knowledge, and their spirituality. Creating tools and materials from stone, wood, and ivory. Sewing their clothing from land and sea animals. Passing down their art, knowledge, language, dances, songs, traditions, and values through oral stories and lessons. Overall, mastering sustainability and not leaving any resource unused.

1741

Subsistence rights quickly changed when Russians began to colonize indigenous lands in 1741. Taking land, spreading diseases, and hurting families plauged the peaceful lives of indigenous peoples. This was the beginning of many years of racist systems, laws, and approaches that wished to wipe the Alaska Native culture, practices, and languages.

“Kill the Indian in him, and save the man”

Richard Henry Pratt – Founder of Carlisle Indian Boarding School

After the U.S. purchased Alaska from Russia in 1867, things continued to get worse. Colonizers hoped to eliminate the ways of life that had been present for so long. Swapping Native Languages for English, traditional clothing and ideals for western ones, physical and psychological mistreatment of Native Alaskan families, and much more done to try to take away the pride and strength of indigenous people. Although in some ways this did instill fear, it also created fuel for a fire that planned to burn much longer.

Present Time

Rampart, Alaska

Heather Sauyaq Jean Gordon shares in her article how these racists and unfair treatments are not a thing of the past. In fact, they continue to happen each day and put immense stress on the Alaska Native populations looking to regain their subsistence rights, share their Indigenous Knowledge, save their languages, preserve the land and its animals, as well as place importance of reserving their cultural values and practices. The article explains how stewardship has been held from Alaska Native populations, as well as the right to fish and hunt on their ancestral lands. Not only does this cause uproar due to injustice, but it also puts fear of lost cultural practices between generations, food insecurity, and the lack of subsistence families had been used to for so many years.

The biggest thing that bugged me throughout her article was the restrictions on fishing for Alaska Natives and rural populations, yet allowing commercial fishing. My partners grandmother is Koyukon Athabaskan from Rampart. She shares many stories about spending her summers in Rampart with her own grandmother dropping nets from wooden boats into the Yukon each summer to stock their families supply of fish. They had their own smoke house where they would preserve their food. Due to these traditional events in her childhood, she continues to go to Rampart each year. I remember the summer before the last when she was devastated by the fishing ban due to low salmon count. “My father always told us this would happen,” she would tell me over and over. This was the first time I witnessed first hand how state and federal laws and regulations were impacting the culture of Alaska Native tribes.

Solutions

How do we begin to find solutions to these current systems? How do we begin to show the state the importance of Indigenous Knowledge and our responsibility in repairing the poor relationships colonizers created with the people who originally inhabited this land for so many years? While reaching these solutions are not always simple, we can certainly begin to recognize how using Indigenous Knowledge and methods can create more sustainable ways of stewardship. As Gordon mentions in her article, the state continuously fails to listen to indigenous people time and time again, leaving resources to run dry. By obtaining new practices, respecting the land (not for economical gains), and allowing for culture to be shared there can be replenishment of animals, plants, and traditional lessons.

It is awful how the lack of land ownership is resulting in lost culture. Young children are missing out on the lessons that have been passed down for several generations. Jana Pausauraq Harcharek, an educational pillar in the North Slope Borough, shows an example of how communities can take on Indigenous Knowledge to create more equitable stewardship, while also preserving culture.

The Iñupiaq Learning Framework – Through this educational framework individuals can begin to imagine how Alaska’s endless nature can be cared for with the respect of indigenous practices.

Final Thoughts

Overall, I agree with Gordon that the right thing to do is give land back to the indigenous population. If not that, allowing them to steward lands to preserve wild life and sustainability for future generations. Such a large part of their values lie within the love and respect for the land in which they live, work, and play. The animals that provide them with resources and food are apart of the beautiful harmonious dance between human and nature that they have created many years ago. I believe being aware of the land in which you reside is a first step to an anti-racist approach to the colonization that took place in our state.

Knowing that these lands mean something more to the indigenous people is important. To them, the resources that are among us are apart of them. It takes care of their families and protects their spirituality. Creating systems such as the Iñupiaq Learning Framework can bring important Indigenous Knowledge not only to those who share the culture, but all Alaskans. Creating a more educated, responsive, and respectful community to help restore stewardship to Alaska Native tribes.

**Images from google or personal collections

1. John Da Broi

Hi Neveah,
    I really like your response to your thoughts I do agree with you and Gordon on returning the land to the indigenous people of Alaska. I think if the Government is worried about the health of the environment why not return it to the people who have lived on that land their whole life and understand the needs of seasons and determine what the land needs and doesn’t better than some suit in a office somewhere.

• Neveah Reese

There is so much history between indigenous peoples and this land that it is the only option that is truly respectful and honorable. The reality is that it won’t go over that smoothly. I hope at least some land can be returned and officials can begin to take Indigenous Knowledge into consideration when fishing and hunting season comes around. As a born and raised Alaskan, I have always found it so beautiful how our land and animals provides all we need to survive. But, when this is managed improperly it ruins subsistence for all individuals who have respect and love for Alaska. 🙁

2. Sean McCrossin

It’s sad to see that the Russians basically took a page out of Christopher Columbus’s book with their savior complex. To assume they are doing good by introducing new things to the land and their people also brings with it the bad such as the diseases and general chaos from clashing identities. Unfortunately these foreign powers took over and caused the whole mess of losing their cultural identity such as their languages. the oppression is obvious and I think employing your solutions would be a great idea. to stop taking and finally start truly giving back, in regards to their land in turn their cultural practices.

• Neveah Reese

As someone who longs of a simple life, it’s hard to understand why they thought economic gain is what Indigenous People needed. The sense of superiority during the Russian and American colonization eras is such an interesting dynamic. Why did they feel this way? Did they believe that control was beneficial for their own people? Was it warranted with malicious intent? So many questions! Returning stewardship or adapting a respectful partnership will benefit not only the Alaska Native population, but all those who live in Alaska. We need Indigenous Knowledge to influence how we treat and care for the lands and it’s animals/plants.

3. Sharla Huckabey

Neveah,
    I enjoyed reading your blog. It points out the good and the bad. It is so heartbreaking how things were done; that was so traumatizing to the Indigenous peoples. I feel like we both have the same outlook as Heather Gordon that the lands should be returned to the Indigenous people. Let them live the way they used to be able to live. It is their land, even though it was wrongfully taken from them. The government needs to step aside and let the Indigenous people do what they do best. LIVE OFF THE LAND!

4. Ian Miller

I really enjoyed your blog. In your conclusion you stated that, “Overall, I agree with Gordon that the right thing to do is give land back to the indigenous population. If not that, allowing them to steward lands to preserve wild life and sustainability for future generations”. I personally feel that your first statement was all that was needed. We absolutely need to give the land back to its indigenous people. But you are right, there needs to be some step in the direction of anything hinting at being right. Though I feel that the federal and state governments “allowing” the indigenous people of Alaska to steward the land being borderline insulting, giving indigenous people control over how their land is utilized would be better than nothing at all. I say that with such minimal hope that the governments would ever give up control over the benefits of the states commercial fish and game industry, it is all income 🙁

And that, income, is all the difference between what Gordon describes as her rich land respecting heritage and culture, and the riches that western cultures seek to value.