The Insidiousness of Racism and Prejudice

posted in: Uncategorized | 10
art by Jade Orlando

10 Responses

1. Alex Beaudouin

Hi Simone,

Thank you for your blog and for disseminating the truth about the insidiousness of racism and prejudice. I particularly like your blog on healthcare. I listen to NPR radio every day on my way to work, and they happen to have a discussion about racism in healthcare. In addition to your relevant information, we need to understand that racism in healthcare is unequal access to healthcare services. Minority populations may face barriers such as limited availability of care, treatments, or healthcare facilities in their neighborhoods, as well as a lack of insurance coverage, and sometimes language barriers that prevent them from receiving timely and appropriate care. Also, as you mentioned, an important aspect of racism in healthcare is the quality of care received. Studies have shown that racial and ethnic minorities often receive lower-quality care compared tom their white conterparts. This can be due to implicit biases held by healthcare providers, resulting in different treatments, misdiagnoses, or inadequate pain management.

• Simone Smith

Thanks Alex, Racism in healthcare is unbelievable.. these providers take an oath to do no harm??? Thanks for sharing, I’ll have to see if I can find the healthcare discussion on my NPR podcast!

2. Sarai Gomez

I feel like with so much pressure and normalization of prejudice against Alaska Natives its hard to recognize prejudiced tendencies within ourselves or have others recognize them. Its easy to become jaded if we work in a field where we provide public service daily.

• Simone Smith

Thanks Sarai! I can totally see how that would be difficult!

3. Victoria Tichenor

Hi Simone,

Thank you for blog post about the insidiousness of racism. I liked the part about education the most. Since education is so important because it can lead to better job and opportunities. Even here in Anchorage there is segregation, the “south side” is a predominately white area with better schools and more opportunities but on the east side there are gangs and violence and the schools aren’t working to the help the students more for the paycheck.

• Simone Smith

Thanks Victoria! Thats so true about the “south side” of Anchorage!

4. Robi Naranjo

Thanks for the blog, you made a lot of really good points .Biases and racism is everywhere , everyone has biases even if they don’t realize it. Racism is really is insidious, especially systemic racism like with the prison system and people born into poverty, where people have almost no chance to escape it. It’s so insidious too because in America we are so desensitized to it, I don’t think most people have a clear picture or awareness of it, so it persists. People see the effects of poverty as if it a character defect not looking at the systemic injustice that has allowed these issues to flourish and has been happening for hundreds of years . Really interested in all ways social workers and communities are confronting these issues.

• Simone Smith

Thanks Robi! You’re so right, we are so desensitized to racism. Once you start learning more and paying attention you find more and more affected by it.

5. Elizabeth Jackson

Hi, Simone, I, too, grew up believing that racism was a thing of the past, especially with the narratives of progress and equality that were woven into our education and media. It’s disheartening to realize that these narratives often serve as distractions from the harsh realities of systemic injustices that exist today. I appreciate your call to action for revolutionary social work. It’s not enough to simply acknowledge these issues; we must actively work towards dismantling the structures that uphold them. This requires humility, empathy, and a commitment to centering the experiences and needs of marginalized communities.

6. Jaelynn Anderson

I am going to have to watch that movie tomorrow if my 3-month-old daughter lets me. Anyway, I enjoyed the part on educational reforms. It’s so intriguing because I grew up going to schools where most of the students were middle class and then they sprinkled in some of us lower-class students. This ended up making it difficult for us to mingle due to the cultural differences within the school. So there wasn’t much cultural competency happening amongst students as well as ethnocentrism.