The Difference Between Race and Ethnicity

posted in: Uncategorized | 3
(Myers & Ogino, n.d.)
This is a great video that shows oppressions due to ethnical identities really well. (TeleSUR English, 2016)
(Myers & Ogino, n.d.)

3 Responses

1. Alex Beaudouin

Hi Trinity,

Thank you for your blog. Race and ethnicity are two terms that are constantly used in today’s society. Race is not about genetic makeup. A feature of race as a social construct is that it downplays the extent to which sectors of the population may form a discrete ethnic group, while ethnicity-diverse languages, religions, and attire develop because of history and social experiences. In the article you mentioned, “Power, Privilege, and Oppression”, I like the quote by Peggy McIntosh: “Privilege exists when one group has something of value that is denied to others simply because of the groups they belong to, rather than because of anything they’ve done or failed to do. Access to privilege doesn’t determine one’s outcomes, but it is definitely an asset that makes it more likely that whatever talent, ability, and aspirations a person with privilege has will result in something positive for them”. This quote embodies what it means to have privilege paired with race and ethnicity. I think privilege, race, and ethnicity are interconnected concepts that play a significant role in shaping an individual’s experience and opportunities within society. Individuals from marginalized racial or ethnic groups may face discrimination and limited access to opportunities due to their identity, while individuals from privileged racial or ethnic backgrounds may benefit from societal advantages.

2. Josh Fine

Hi Trinity,

Great looking blog, I really like the gradient blocks that you used! I agree with the way that you have defined race and ethnicity in this entry, as well. From the perspective of revolutionary social work, I hope that we are able to operate in a world that no longer has the need for the construct of race one day, similar to my feelings on gender. To me, racial labeling has had very very few positive influences on our world. Ethnicity, on the other hand, brings diversity to the planet. It allows for different points of view and powerful collaboration; I strongly agree with your point about ethnicity being so relevant to revolutionary social workers. The construct of race seems to only spark conversation regarding situations that exist due to it’s negative historic relevance, although those conversations are extremely important. This was an insightful read and thank you for including the references that you used!

3. Ben Woods

Hi there Trinity, great post! I have to learn how to make mine more appealing to look at. I thought you brought up some very good points, one being that if someone is white, that doesn’t mean that they are from a different descent. For example, if you (or anyone) we’re to meet me, your first impression of my race would be white, however, I do have Alaska Native blood in me. You wouldn’t know that unless I shared that with you. I think it’s huge that we need to treat everyone equally, including, respect and kindly. I’ve noticed in the transition from school years K-12 and going into college or living life that people forget the saying, “Treat others how you want to be treated.” That’s huge! There is so much negativity and bossiness going around that isn’t needed. I am a huge believer in, “Treat others how you want to be treated.”