Using Relationship Anarchy as a Framework for Surviving Capitalism

posted in: Uncategorized | 5

Revolutionizing Social Work Podcast w/Causha Spellman-Timmons

I really enjoyed this episode of the podcast and was delighted to find access to it on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0dIMh0AcHmXBhEbmtdIAkt?si=858b78c1522e460c as well as Youtube: https://youtu.be/rnbm2S0ecZM?si=fYihV-EvgGiXv3Ux.

Causha’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/soulsurvivor_84/

There were quite a few things I wanted to address and talk about but I’m trying to keep this to a reasonable length.

First, I want to highlight this absolutely Golden Quote:

“Talking Circle flexes the critical thinking muscle and the ability to question information around you. That’s precisely what they don’t want happening in indigenous and black communities because the power we inherently hold in our DNA would be unparalleled and untamable,”

Chanel Spellman-Timmons

That quote is a reason to get into social work.

That quote gives me goosebumps.

What would happen? I think at this point, quite a few of us have realized the truth of this and the potential, but were still constantly being pulled and pushed down by society making it so much harder to build communities and accumulate this power into a unified force.

“Surviving Capitalism”

Let’s talk about the idea of “Surviving Capitalism”. This term was brought up numerous times during the podcast and I love it. It reminded me of another fantastic podcast that I discovered while being obsessed with adrienne maree brown (https://adriennemareebrown.net/). The podcast is called, How to Survive the End of the World, and it takes a look at practices and concepts to reflect on as we move away from Capitalism. How do we move past these old antiquated systems that don’t work? Causha mentions this computer metaphor–we know no matter how many updates we put on patriarchy, it’s not going to change at its core.  We have to find a way to completely disrupt and transition away from that culture and part of these conversations and podcasts are finding answers to how we can do that.

One of the ways we can disrupt those systems is by using the wisdom that has been passed on by indigenous peoples. Professor Stettler uses the Talking Circle not only as the basis for how he teaches his courses, but also within his personal life. In my opinion, practices like this serve to disrupt the system in many ways but I’ll only mention two right now.

1. Apologizing to your children as a parent, or to your client as a social worker teaches children and reminds clients how to be accountable for their actions. It is a demonstration of vulnerability and love. All of us are subject to miscommunication and assumptions and need to be able to come back from making a mistake willing to listen.
  1. People want someone to listen to them. This isn’t just the case for adults—specifically those that people assume don’t have anything to say, but also children. I agree with Professor Stettler that people incorrectly assume children don’t have things they want to talk about. There is this limitation placed on what a child is expected or allowed to feel. It’s important for us to open the lines of communication and teach children that their voices deserve to be heard.

Why does it have to be Us vs. Capitalism?

Causha talked about being in a position where the most you can do is have hope for hope. I think it’s very important to address the fact that especially in the line of social work you have to be able to realize that you need to step away and reconnect with yourself and your reasons for doing this work.

Capitalism says that you can’t do that. You can’t AFFORD to do that.

This creates an environment for the people that are doing this kind of work to burn themselves out. Not being able to pull back and work on your personal healing in order to address collective healing just continues the cycle of grief and loss. When we have to struggle everyday to ensure we have all of these things that really are basic rights—health, food, shelter—we are kept from healing. This is hugely disregarded in American Culture—even for the individuals doing this kind of emotionally exhausting work there is no framework for reprieve. Society demands that we have this sense of urgency and productivity but improving yourself and giving yourself grace are absent. Just like non-renewable resources, unregulated capitalism will eventually eat all of our motivation and passion.

So Relationship Anarchy?

Relationship Anarchy talks about building your relationships with people very intentionally, autonomously, and without a focus on hierarchy. This isn’t necessarily specific to romantic or physical relationships but really looks at it on a much larger scale. The relationships you develop with your doctor, or your boss, or your sibling, shouldn’t be subject to the influences of people or things it doesn’t involve. Causha brings up how these relationships where we hold space for each other to communicate directly about our needs and desires shouldn’t be limited to personal relationships; this type of communication needs to be present in all of our interactions. These relationships also operate better when they are free of power dynamics that reinforce a patriarchal hierarchy.

” How Can I Help”?

I want to wrap up by taking a quick look at the evolution of social works’ definition. Both parties talk about how we need to re-examine what it means to be a social worker. They focus on the concept of being able to ask the simple question, “How can I help”? The baseline of this industry is figuring out the best ways to help one another. However, I don’t think this question should be limited to social workers. This is the same baseline question that should be behind every politician, representative, EMT, and police officer. Until the individuals in position of power move from oppressive techniques and take actions out of compassion and a desire to help, we’ll continue being stuck with systems that do more harm than good.

5 Responses

1. Sarai Gomez

Jas,
    As I read you blog I appreciated the way you broke it down. I felt myself getting all up in arms when I was listening to the podcast. Professor Settler and Causha mentioned often how we seem to be pitted against one another. Especially when it comes to politics. “one side of the aisle versus the other” What would happen if we implemented talking circles instead? The foundation of talking circles is to build trust and forge relationships. Would we not be more open to listing to other points of view even though our stance wouldn’t change? Like Causha said “you dont learn if you dont listen”

I too have seen how people who give most to the community as part of their career are the most overworked, physically and emotionally. Knowing that the system does not allow for a break without some sort of negative repercussion, whether it’s from peers or economically, is more than upsetting. What good is to keep pumping out suggestions on how to better and overcome obstacles if we do nothing to help advance us?

2. Neveah Reese

It’s so frustrating to see systems continuously fail and see those in power try to patch things up rather than building something new. Your blog got me thinking about how America is lacking behind other countries in access to health care, childcare, affordable housing, sustainability, etc. Social work is such a tough field because there are so many systems in place, yet those systems are not working based on funds, people running them, or lack of cultural humility. Especially in our economy, no one is really getting all they need. Short cuts are getting made in everyones life, making it hard for anyone to recoup, refocus, or regain stability.

3. Robi Naranjo

I loved your use of memes! Really enjoyable read. I like your recap on Professor Stettlers use of the talking circle, really great way to communicate, really hear people and distribute power among people! I appreciate your use of bullet points and your breakdown of the podcast.

4. Simone Smith

Hi Jas, I enjoyed your post! I loved the podcast too. The part about listening and apologizing to children resonated with me so much! I have raised my kids this way and have such wonderful relationships with them in large part because of this I believe. I love the idea of relationship anarchy and will be exploring this more for sure. I really did not like being married and really could never pinpoint why. I just could not stand the patriarchal system that is traditional marriage. So being intentional about relationships without hierarchy is so intriguing to me and I think it’s what I needed, I just didn’t have the language for it.

5. Jaelynn Anderson

The golden quote at the top of your blog made me listen to the podcast a bit more. I am not the biggest fan of podcasts, but this one was so intriguing. When Professor Stettler explains how kids have something to say when adults think they don’t, I couldn’t agree more. Most of the time, children have so much to say and want to be included in “adult conversations.” They have so much to learn and including them in basic conversations can help them explore the world just a tad more. It’s about time we conquer these old-fashioned relationship anarchies and do something about it!