Bipolar and Depressive Disorders

posted in: Uncategorized | 4

Millions of people suffer bipolar disorders alone, and it can occur at any point in one’s life. It is seen as major shifts in one’s mood and normal decision making. Such as somebody who doesn’t normally gamble decides to hit a weekend at Vegas and attempts to “win big”. It can be a very scary thing to experience because these highs invoke a sense of happiness that is so elevated it can impair judgement and that person is far more likely to take risks. Bipolar disorder can be split into two categories based on the varying conditions. Bipolar I is such as the example provided here, with constant “euphoric” manic episodes even if the behavior is irrational which it likely is. Especially if the person in question is known to not be like their manic personality.

The other version of the Bipolar disorder is known as Bipolar II. Which also has these manic episodes of elevated fits of this euphoria. However, these episodes aren’t as high, and instead are accompanied by major depressive episodes, especially if there is seemingly no reason to be depressed. Bipolar disorders have a slightly higher chance to be type II over type I. However it is still pretty close, and affect so many people regardless. Thankfully, there are many types of therapies such as cognitive and family therapy techniques or medicine that can help combat this mental affliction. Having bipolar disorder doesn’t mean you won’t find real happiness or that you might never find any happiness. It is something to treat over time and one can definitely get their life back if they put in the effort.

Speaking of low depressive moods however, is the potential to suffer only from the low episodes of depression. Which has its own classification separated from bipolar disorder because although similar, it is also very different. Depressive disorders can unfortunately be seen considerably more than any bipolar disorder. Having affecting about 6.7% of the U.S. population, it is not uncommon to run into somebody with a depressive disorder if you don’t run into it yourself. The textbook depicts two different versions of depressive disorders that such the following. a major depressive order is when there is a “period of low mood for at least two weeks that is present most of the time in most situations”. This is shorter but more intense version of low mood that may result in losing your job or worse with suicidal thoughts. What may be no cause to be depressed may give way to a reason because of the shift in mood. The other version of the depressive disorders is the persistent depressive disorder. Which says it “is a chronic, or ongoing, period of depression, usually for at least two years”. Thankfully, like bipolar disorders , there are treatment options available. Such as therapy and medications as well, which can lessen the affect and in some cases help eliminate the disorder entirely.

There are stories I would like to share based on personal experience, and I am comfortable sharing it. My stepfather had bipolar II that he developed quite some time after I had first met him. He would have his happy episodes where he genuinely seemed like he was cheerful and upbeat and to be fair, I think he was. But other times he would have periods where he would shift into low moods that resulted in anger and become irrational in his reasonings. It was very scary because it was hard to guess unless you talked to him, and it felt like a true 50% chance if he was happy or sad/angry. Eventually it spread and although I was never diagnosed, I feel like I may have developed a persistent depressive disorder of some kind. Maybe I still have it, I’m not exactly sure, but it’s hard to tell nowadays. Regardless, it can be scary experiencing the disorder yourself, but it’s also scary being close to someone who develops a mental affliction.

Another story is one of my mom who has been taking antidepressants for quite a long time, and the medicine seems to have a good effect on her mental health. However, I want to share a story back in the summer of 2021 for a hernia surgery that she had to go through and how dangerous some of these withdrawal symptoms in someone can be. I think it’s fair to have criticisms about medicine, and my reluctance to put my faith in the Matsu Regional Medical Center. After her surgery they had taken her off many medications, including her depression medication which resulted in great irritation. In their attempt to quell this behavior about 13 doctors tried mixing different medications and no one stopped to look at the list of medication she was on, especially post surgery. She was in a state of irrational rage demanding to be discharged from the hospital against medical advice, with an open wound all throughout her abdomen. she wasn’t in her right mind, and the nurses nor the doctors tried to tell her otherwise. It took my brother and I to convince her to stay about everyday in June and July. Receiving a phone call with her very angry, sometimes dealing with this multiple times in a single day. In the start of August it took one doctor to realize as he put it “there were too many cooks in the kitchen”. He single handedly fixed her medication problems and got her on what she needed and only what she needed. Like magic she called us and was back to her normal self, and all I felt was relief. Because after all this time it was like I got my mother back. We visited her in the hospital and got to have a normal conversation again. Especially when her situation could have been even worse. The point of the first story is dealing with bipolar disorder and the effect it has even on multiple people. While the second story is meant to depict the pros and cons of medicinal treatments. These disorders are extremely scary that can generally strike at any time, so I cannot stress ow important it is to seek treatment, even for the smallest of suspicions.

4 Responses

1. Annalee White

Hi Sean!

Thank you for sharing this information, as well as the story in regards to your stepfather. While it is so sad that you had to deal with those issues, it helps us as peers understand diseases such as this a little more coming from the experience of someone who has lived it rather than from a textbook. Again, and like the information given to us this week, I love how often it is repeated to encourage people to go find help whether it is your illness or a loved one.

2. Neveah Reese

I appreciate your honesty and sharing your experiences with mental health. So many people deal with or experience mental health issues and disorders in their family, whether it be diagnosed or not. Especially in Alaska, many people suffer from addiction and/or depression, that can bring about a more weight for your mental wellbeing. My stepmom has dealt with both severe depression and bipolar disorder II. It was hard seeing her deal with the ups and downs growing up, as well as seeing how it impacted the whole family. As a social worker, I feel you spoke about mental health and the disorders very well. “Having bipolar disorder doesn’t mean you won’t find real happiness or that you might never find any happiness. It is something to treat over time and one can definitely get their life back if they put in the effort.” This is such a sensitive, but positive way to speak about these issues! I would feel comforted by these words and motivated to find what works for me in my healing process. Thanks for the insight and breakdown 🙂

3. Sarai Gomez

Sean,

Mood disorders are sooo important to talk about and de-stigmatize. I personally have Bipolar II but wasnt diagnosed until recently. Before my diagnosis, it was difficult to maintain a healthy balance in life, especially when it came to manic episodes. I engaged in a lot of risky behaviors and the people around me would view it as poor life skills, chaotic, and irresponsible, but I genuinely could not see the poor life choices until after the fact or blinded myself to them because it “felt right” in the moment.
    It was hard to accept the diagnosis and I was very stereotypical, secretly stopping meds when I would start to feel better, or having a manic episode and wanting to keep riding the high I felt.
    To say that my life was a whirlwind and not the good kind is an understatement.
    Although I work in a field that treats and sees people with mood disorders I find that it’s so stigmatized even within this community that it’s best to keep it under wraps. It negatively labels you.

Thank you for approaching this in a kind and gentle way. Its conversations like this that help take the stigma from speaking about it and that is progress.

4. Josh Fine

Hi Sean,

Thanks for covering this topic so well. I appreciate your differentiation between bipolar I and bipolar II. It can be hard to tell one form the other, but I think you explained it well. Your explanation of depressive disorders was pretty good as well. You did a great job pointing out that it is so prolific in the united states. I work in behavioral health and I would say that the vast majority of individuals that I are diagnosed with some form of depressive disorder. I am diagnosed with bipolar II and major depressive disorder and found that I identify with the experience that your family members have had with similar diagnoses. Medication is extremely helpful to me, but some of the side effects and withdrawal symptoms can be hell, just like you stated. Thanks for your insight, it was a good read.