ACE. No, Not the Card

posted in: Uncategorized | 4
Picture sourced from IStock.com

Assessment & Intervention Strategies

▶ What are Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE’s)? (Click here to find out)

ACE’s are adolescent traumatic events such as violence, abuse, or neglect that affect the child later in adulthood.

A social work practitioner’s main focus area when it comes to understanding ACEs is to assess the family based on their culture and diversity. Many families come to social work practitioners to seek help on a particular moment that happened. However, in order to find out why the ACE occurred, the social worker is going to have to delve into the family’s dynamics. Is the mom or dad the one that enforces the rules? How are feelings discussed inside the household? Do family issues stay within the household or do they reach out for help when necessary? Many of these questions are important to understanding why ACE’s occurred in these families and how a social work practitioner can begin to intervene. Below are a few common assessment methods.

• Child PTSD Symptom Scale (CPSS): This is a self-administered scale from ages 8-18 that uses a diagnostic and statistical method that yields a symptom severity score.
  • Violence Exposure Scale for Children – Revised (VEX-R): This one uses drawings, questions, and assesses community violence exposure. VEX-R is another self-administered scale for children ages 4-10.
  • Parenting Stress Index (PSI): This one is used for children under 12 to measure parental stress on their child.

It’s good to remember that not a single method will work on every family’s situation. By using well-researched methods, a social worker can quickly see statistical outcomes based on the family’s cultural background and be able to choose the best method for their client.

After carefully assessing the family a social work practitioner can begin to intervene by using a few different methods.

• Eliminating Exposure to Risk Factors: This method goes to the root of the problem by getting the parents the help they need such as medical assistance and/or increasing their educational opportunities. You never know if the parents experienced ACE’s themselves and don’t know how to end the violent cycle.
  • Altering the Experience of the Risk Factors: This is done by evidence-based treatment of violence exposure and/or increased caregiver sensitivity.
  • Stopping Negative Chain Reactions: The Social Worker can provide the parents additional resources for job opportunities and affordable education which could end the violent cycle.
  • Strengthening Protective Factors: This factor includes positive reinforcement of parenting skills, finding child care assistance, and reaching out to the community for parenting help. (It takes a village to raise a child)

On a bigger scale a social worker can speak up for new opportunities and development featuring ACE’s by going to the community, state, and/or national leaders. By educating the people around us and making them aware of those who are suffering, then we can hopefully see positive change someday.

If you are curious about how you would score on the ACE scale1, click the middle button at the top of this blog post; and if you’re curious about other assessments and interventions click here.

Advocating Change

There are several systemic barriers when it comes to victims and families of ACE. To understand how to start advocating for change, a social worker must know why ACE’s occur. Like I said above, ACE happens when there’s one or more violent occurrences, drug/alcohol abuse, and/or child neglect in the home. There are many other experiences, but those are the main few. These things happen mostly among minority members (low-income, race, ethnicity, etc.). Once we begin to understand where these problems are coming from, we can begin to advocate for change.

Systemic Barriers:

• Minimal Awareness and Understanding: Many people don’t know what ACE’s are and the long term effects of them. I know I didn’t and I, along with many others, have experienced more than a handful of them. In order to start change, Social Workers can begin implementing programs where they work, such as this one.2 Since there are so many types of Social Workers and locations where they work, this is an easy way to spread awareness through schools, hospitals, and more.
  • Limited Access to Resources: Many low-income households do not have access to a broad range of health care. Making it difficult for those seeking help to actually receive it. This is where advocates step in and voice their opinions, with facts backing them of course. Social Workers such as Ellen DeVoe, Roger Roffman, and Alice Walker have all paved new ways to help minorities. There are also small groups in local areas like Voices for Change in Texas where the community comes together to fight for social justice.
  • Stigma Around Mental Health: Some families never discuss their thoughts and feelings with one another. I know mine didn’t. Other families may see mental health as a family matter not to be discussed outside the home. In order to help these families, it is important to acknowledge their roots and help them understand that their mental health is important and reaching out is the first step to getting the help they need.

Approaching ACE’s

In order for a Social Worker to be culturally sensitive and responsive to diverse backgrounds, they will have to adapt to a non “one-size fits all” approach, understand cultural humility, and be self-aware.

Not every client(s) is going to have the same cultural background or beliefs. Therefore, each individual family or person is going to have a personal intervention strategy tailored towards them. This is where a Social Worker can dig into, while being respectful, their cultural background and begin to understand it. Once the Social Worker understands what he/she/they are going through and their background they can begin to research intervention methods that will provide the best results. The ACE Aware team (3rd link at the top of this blog post), has created an entire intervention method to approach ACE.

Another thing to note is how we talk to clients. Being respectful of their culture is the most important part. They are coming to an unknown office where they are trusting a stranger to help them with their ACE. So, even though you might not agree with their beliefs, you have to acknowledge their culture and respect it so they can begin trusting you. This will, I believe, help them get on track to a better life after experiencing an ACE.3

1. I think this was my favorite part of writing this blog. Finding out what I scored was kind of an eye opener to what I had experienced in my own childhood. I remember reading “‘It Will Never Happen to Me!’ Children of Alcoholics as Youngsters – Adolescents – Adults” by PhD Claudia Black, MSW, a few years back and it is such an eye opener to my personality. It also helped me learn to let go of some worries with my parents. It’s a good read if you’re interested. I’m pretty positive I bought it from B&N in Fairbanks, AK. ↩︎
  2. I ended up taking this course as a way to familiarize myself with ACE and how it applies to us as future social workers. It’s a very broad way of explaining it and it doesn’t get too far into specific details, but it’s only an hour long and super informative! I highly recommend at least skimming through each section. The website I got this from even has awareness training for teachers so they know what to look out for, which is pretty cool. ↩︎
  3. Another thing I thought about after writing this was what if you have no clue about their culture. There’s so many diverse backgrounds out there that it’s not possible to know every single one. I feel like in order to approach a background you are unfamiliar with you might have to use your instincts on whether or not to politely and respectfully ask the family about their culture or if you should just research it after they leave for the day. ↩︎

4 Responses

1. Ian Miller

Hi Jaelynn, very well put together blog, I really enjoyed the way it flowed from the immediate issue, allowed me to access resources and provided relevant information, identified the barriers that amplify the struggles people experience, and methods of engagement. If you would help me write my blog in a couple of weeks, that would be great 😉 Just kidding, but seriously this was a very well done blog about a very important topic.

I really enjoyed how you opened up linking to what ACE’s are, allowing us to research that on our own, and then immediately identifying the importance of “in order to find out why the ACE occurred”. Approaching this with urgency while also exercising cultural humility is an artform. ACE’s happen, there is no question about that, but why are they happening in the specific family we are serving in a given moment is the real question. And, like you identified, how do we provide intervention services that will allow the families to be their own recovery?

• Jaelynn Anderson

Thank you! I did a lot of googling to figure out how to link things on WordPress. What helped me is looking at other blogs and newspaper articles online to see which format I liked reading. Also, to answer your first question, I believe ACE is mostly a generational thing or it could be a person’s personality in the family. But nonetheless, I think our job is to do exactly that; figure out why it’s happening in the specific family we are helping. From there we can better assess the family as a whole and try to prevent any more ACEs from occuring. To answer your second question, the family has to want to recover. Not just a single person in the group. Also, I think small steps here would be best. I’m sure there’s going to be a bunch of unique situations in our future and there’s not going to be a dialogue that we can follow at every given moment. So I guess what I’m saying is, a current social worker would have more experience with this question.

2. Neveah Reese

I love the amount of information so neatly organized throughout this blog. I definitely agree with you that ACEs are only recently becoming more talked about and we should continue to spread awareness! With my focus being on child development and family studies, I have a good amount of background information on this topic. Similarly to you, I was able to learn so much about myself and childhood family dynamics when learning about ACEs and finding my own scores. Using these techniques to not only help children, but also help parents become resilient as well. With the “older” generation, mental health was even less talked about during their childhoods. Causing many things to be turned in and later putting stress on their own children. I think guiding individuals on their self-discovery journey with trust and no judgement is the magic social workers have to offer to the world. ACE scores is a good place to start to begin altering experiences and expectations to fulfill the entire family unit.

• Jaelynn Anderson

Hi Neveah! I was wondering how you got into child development and family studies and what classes you are taking in context to this. I’m hoping to get into children and family services, but I want to take a class or two before fully commiting.