Internal Mindfullness

posted in: Uncategorized | 2

I went into this podcast with an open mind, willing to approach social work from a fresh perspective. As the conversation unfolded, he emphasize a lesson we’ve been learning in class: to truly make a difference, we must start by looking inward. This involves acknowledging how colonization has shaped our worldview, our interactions with others, and the practices we engage in our personal lives, such as personal mindfulness.

However, Dr. Bird also heavily highlighted mindfulness as a key method for decolonization. He pointed out that we’ve drifted away from our ancestors’ practices,

which, though not scientifically validated at the time, have proven to give the practitioner inner peace and, by extension, positively impact those around us. A poignant question from the podcast was how to practice mindfulness amidst a hectic life. Dr. Bird’s response was enlightening. He suggested that mundane tasks like doing dishes or folding laundry could be opportunities for meditation and self-connection without disrupting our daily routines. This simple yet profound solution resonated with me, offering a feasible way to incorporate mindfulness into my busy life of work, school, and social engagements. Personally practicing mindfulness in this way would allow me to connect with myself in a way I would not feel guilty for taking a moment for myself. 

Dr. Bird’s personal mindfulness practices include rituals passed down from his father and ancestors, such as giving thanks to nature and using burning herbs like sage for purification. This reflection led me to consider my connections to my past and how I could incorporate mindfulness into my life. For me, cooking traditional foods serves as a ritual that connects me to my ancestors and creates a space for sharing experiences, slowing down, and having a moment to reflect with my family, especially during chaotic times.

He also noted that many who enter social work carry their burdens, which fosters empathy. Reflecting on this, I realized that emphasizing personal mindfulness in social work not only facilitates our healing but also empowers us to uplift and support others effectively, without burning ourselves out by managing our troubles and trauma. Doing so allows for significant progress with our clients in a way that is healthy for us and them.

I briefly read and looked into Dr. Bird’s book, “Decolonizing Pathways towards Integrative Healing in Social Work,” I wholeheartedly agree that the social work community must reflect on and reform its practices by embracing decolonization and Indigenous knowledge systems. This shift in perspective reinforces our dedication to social change, addressing the root causes of inequity and oppression. Acknowledging the importance of diverse healing practices allows us to engage with communities in more meaningful and resonant ways. As well as cementing our commitment to social change that addresses the root causes of inequity and oppression. We must recognize the value of diverse healing practices, allowing us to reach communities in a way that resonates with them, the very foundation of social work, and the values held by social workers. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjHC6gGPf-E

2 Responses

1. Ian Miller

Hi Sarai, I also really enjoyed this podcast. I was pretty hooked on every word Dr. Yellow Bird was saying, and I felt the questions being asked of him provided us with a lot to think about. I like that you were able to connect mindfulness practices to your own cultural practices with preparing and cooking traditional foods and being with family (especially during chaotic times). Connecting to my past is something that I have never put a priority on, and I honestly feel completely disconnected from anything resembling what I would consider being culturally representative of my ancestors. It is seriously something that I need to work on.

You also touched on his (Dr. Yellow Bird’s) discussion of the personal burdens that many in social work carry with them and how incredibly important it is to work our way through our own healing. I actually had a really good friend that wanted to get into child advocacy work (working with children of abuse). I had to have a hard conversation with my friend because I know she had not done the work to attend to her own trauma’s to be able to be fully present with the kiddos. Even though the work is profoundly rewarding, it is so hard on our emotions and we can’t break down when trying to help others not break down.

Being in the discussions of working on ourselves and going through the tough healing always brings me to the chorus of the song, “Go Through It” by Griffin House. Because try as we might, but “you can never get around, what you gotta go through”

Thank you for doing a quick description of what is in Dr. Yellow Bird’s book! I think it is something that I need to pick up at some point. I have a lot of questions about how I can approach social work in a way that is not perpetuating colonization. It is difficult to know that I have to do things differently if I want to encourage change, but not knowing what different looks like.

• Sarai Gomez

Ian,

Another thing is that I didnt realize how much internal work there is to do for social work. In my head, I had always thought that the work that needed to be done had to be changing the outside world. This idea came from the thought that because we already saw what was wrong with the world and what needed to be changed then I was not only on the right path but had little to work on internally.