Should we see color?

While reading the article ‘Colorblindness is Counterproductive,’ published in 2015, I thought extensively about the opening paragraph. It explicitly addresses individuals who attempt to demonstrate or show to others that they accept people of all colors and do not judge others based on their inability to see color (Colorblind). While it may seem commendable to be aware of and strive not to treat or judge someone based on the color of their skin, this ideology has the potential to be more harmful than helpful, especially in today’s world.

Become Color Conscious

Before I share the rest of my thoughts, I firmly believe that politics and race should remain separate, and one’s choice to vote for either the Red or Blue party should not automatically label them as potentially racist. I believe there’s no necessity to embrace a colorblind approach to avoid being seen as racist. Simply treating people as humans and assessing them based on their own personalities, something they can control, is good. In fact, embracing colorblindness may distance individuals from the reality that racism still exists today, even if it’s not as obvious as it was 20 to 40 years ago. I believe that opting for a colorblind perspective can lead to consequences, as it entails remaining unaware of persistent racist practices that contribute to segregation in today’s society. In my approach to life, I treat everyone equally and with respect. I don’t discriminate based on color, as I firmly believe in evaluating individuals based on factors within their control, rather than those beyond their influence. Regardless of race or color, everyone is human, and I believe in avoiding judgment based on factors beyond a person’s control.

Views

We all hold different views and perceptions based on how we are treated by others. I must respectfully disagree with a portion of this article that suggests the United States judicial system and police officers across the country are attempting to “act like Black lives do not matter”. While I am aware of certain detrimental incidents that have occurred in recent years, it’s essential to recognize that such occurrences have been happening for a long time. Unfortunately, they may continue to happen. The difference today is that these incidents can quickly travel from California to Fairbanks, Alaska, in just seconds due to the use of social media and the internet in todays world. We often witness the worst aspects of situations before we can see other positive developments happening around the world because negative events tend to attract more attention. I find it unfortunate that individuals in positions of power, who have the authority to end someone’s life, may hold biased views based on skin tone. Law enforcement officers (LEOs) with biased views can have a profound impact on the entire community. Such individuals can alter the community’s perception of law enforcement, making it seem as if they specifically target individuals based on their skin tone. It’s crucial to recognize that the actions of one individual can tarnish the reputation of law enforcement in the eyes of the public. Moreover, with the prevalence of the internet today, such incidents leave a lasting imprint that is more visible than it might have been 20 to 40 years ago.

Connection

I firmly believe that deliberately overlooking someone’s skin tone and treating them differently based on that is the beginning of internal issues, simply a form of racism. It’s crucial to learn to assess individuals based on their own personalities such as honesty, respect, and hard work without prejudice or bias. Anything beyond these qualities should not be for judgment or discrimination because these “extra qualities should not matter.

Future/Change

To rebuild a bond or allyship that has been fractured for an extended period, education on our history of slavery and racism is a must. We need to explain how and why we moved away from those practices and comprehend that what was once considered normal reflected the times then not now. Understanding and listening to diverse voices and experiences are essential, recognizing that everyone has walked different paths and lived distinct lives is important to learn.

Speaking up when witnessing something unjust is crucial and taking a stand and intervening to make a difference is a must other wise nothing is being done. Engaging with and immersing oneself in different cultures and experiences can create empathy and broaden perspectives. Collaboration is key; while individual efforts are impactful, creating lasting change often requires a collective effort of people working together for a shared cause leaving a lasting impression.

1. Ian Miller

Hi John, I always have nervousness approaching this topic and topics of the same nature because I am in a constant state of development, growth, and understanding. So please, do not take any questions and statements that I have about this as me telling you that your blog is wrong, because I do feel like you presented everything incredibly well. But I am going to engage a couple of your thoughts.

First, in your blog you stated that “I must respectfully disagree with a portion of this article that suggests the United States judicial system and police officers across the country are attempting to “act like Black lives do not matter”.” I love that you brought in considerations of how quickly information flows in todays society and that the information we receive is often only the negative news absent of any and all good things regarding LEO’s and the judicial system. But, I will be honest, I have a hard time even comprehending the pain that the black community must feel given that heartbreaking incidents still happen. I don’t think it is a question of how far we have come, and whether it is representative of the everyone’s intentions. It is the kick in the gut that the shit still happens in spite of how far society has come and the goodness that exists in most people. Then, when incidents happen one after the other, there has to be a realistic fear that things can quickly go in the wrong direction. Then add to it the overrepresentation of black people in our judicial systems, it is understandable if a community feels that their lives don’t matter.

My second question is simply that, based on your statement below, do you feel that privilege can make it easier for some to possess the more “favorable qualities” in the areas in which you suggest: You say that “It’s crucial to learn to assess individuals based on their own personalities such as honesty, respect, and hard work without prejudice or bias. Anything beyond these qualities should not be for judgment or discrimination because these “extra qualities should not matter”. Is it possible that a person can be a person of respect and honor while not presenting these qualities to the world that judges them?

I will add, I have a very similar topic coming up in a couple of weeks that I have to blog about. Please feel free to put me on the spot as well, lol.

2. Mollie Bernhoft

John,
    I appreciate that you respectfully voice your opinion and opposition, and I agree with you that ones actions and interactions will speak for themselves and show what they really think. I can see how “colorblindness” might have come about with “good” intentions, but it clearly shows that there was a lack of understanding and illustrates there’s still room for improvement. The issue isn’t seeing someone’s race or skin color, it is that prejudice, racism, discrimination, stereotypes, generalization, etc. associate negatives and trigger certain responses, reactions, even thoughts prematurely based on these ideas.
    Also, I know everyone is allowed opinions, and that there is truth to what you’re saying, but it’s your truth from your human experience. I urge you to see the truth in what the others are saying about the judicial system and the police, like you said it has been “happening for a long time” which is exactly the issue, these things are not to be normalized and accepted to begin with. If you really look at the numbers and the facts, with mass incarceration, war on drugs, sentencing disparities between races, I mean I could go on and on you will see a pattern, trends, and you can’t argue with facts.
    I also think, just as any other professional occupation, police should have standards of ethics, and if everyone has to follow the same guidelines, then straying away from that should result in punishment. When people are killed, even by a cop, especially with what is found in investigations and seen on videos, there need to be consequences. It seems like the police and those above were more concerned about saving face than taking responsibility and dealing with the consequences/making changes, than giving justice for a man’s life that was taken and justice for his loved ones. If the police or whoever don’t like their narrative then they should be actively working to change it, and if the shoe fits and they walk around in it, then I mean come on. People don’t make these claims from air, again I think we can all benefit from understanding, empathizing, and allowing others their truth.