Taking Off The Colorblind Filter

In “Colorblindness is counterproductive” written by Adia Harvey Wingfield, the topic of colorblindness it tackled. Wingfield begins by commenting on phrases we have all most likely heard in our lives such as “I don’t have a racist bone in my body.” A phrase that even I will admit I have been guilty of in the past. I say guilty because despite what I would love to believe of myself, I am aware that it is likely I have some racist biases that come from growing up in a predominantly white environment. That’s not to say that I believe myself to be racist, but I acknowledge that I am a work in process that always has room for improvement.

Wingfield goes on to speak about how colorblindness can be a way to ignore many issues by choosing not to bring attention to them. It allows for major issues to be overlooked. It can also lead to only one side of a situation getting noticed. In my HUMS Diversity Issues in Human Services class, we tackled the topic of intersectionality this week. In a Ted talk done by Kimberle Crenshaw called “The urgency of intersectionality” she gave an example of a black woman being discriminated against during the hiring process because of her gender and race. When she took the case to court the judge ruled against her because the company she was applying to hired both women and black individuals. What the judge failed to consider was that the company didn’t hire any women that were also black.  

With colorblindness promoting looking over an individual’s race, it leaves a great deal unconsidered and fails to take into account how different forms of oppression interact. Another example is if someone was both a racial minority and in a lower social class, If you are looking at it through the lens of colorblindness you would only look at one aspect of the equation and fails to acknowledge a very important part of an individual.

However, not everyone believes that colorblindness is a bad term. Many think that getting rid of the term color blindness will put emphasis on white individuals and will put us back in the fight against racism. Friedersdorf states it will allow “whites” to cling to their privileges rather than critique them.  He also makes the argument that “individuality should be the center of identity” which makes for an easy way to ignore the oppression minorities face.

Growing up I was raised with a very strong colorblind mentality. My little brother is of mixed race and my mother taught us growing up that there was absolutely nothing different about him, which simply wasn’t true. She did this in an attempt to ensure he never felt like he was other than us, to the point that she never really acknowledged that he was mixed. I altered my thought process on the idea of color blindness years ago and began the process of actively seeing the cultures and races within my community once my brother was old enough to speak up and tell me how he felt about it.

I was surprised to hear that he didn’t feel like he was always included but rather that as a family we choose to ignore a very important part of who he was. It also made us blind in many ways to how some members of the community treated him because we weren’t looking for the oppression. When we were younger, I remember a security guard that would seem to randomly follow us around our local store. It wasn’t until my brother mentioned that he was always followed that I realized the randomness wasn’t random at all. There wasn’t anything beyond his skin color was different from a distance. In fact, he has always dressed far nicer than me.  In trying to be wholly accepting and colorblind we excluded a major part of his identity, and it allowed us to be ignorant to difficulties he was facing.   

When reading the blog I agreed with many things, though I think the issues involving police brutality is far more complex than what can be explained in a condensed version. I also would love to hear more from the racial minorities and how it affects them. The blog focuses a lot on how white individual’s thought process would be affected, and while I know they are the main oppressors I also think they are the least important voice in the conversation.

While looking for the opinions of the oppressed on this topic I found a ted talk by Mellody Hobson that gives another perspective and introduces color blind vs color brave. The idea that race should be a part a honest part of the conversation.

I also found a ted talk by Coleman Hughes that proposes that the idea that the term color blindness is good but is misused in many ways. He makes some good points in his video, and while I think his voice is important I believe the cons of colorblindness far outweigh the pros.

1. Simone Smith

Thanks so much for your post Jillian. These videos were great. I agree with you that the cons of color blindness outweigh the pros. I especially enjoyed the Ted Talk by Mellody Hobson. Like she says, colorblindness just means we are ignoring the problem. I’ve had Black women explain to me that they do not want their race or ‘color’ ignored. Their race is such a huge part of their identity and they are proud of it. They want to feel seen and if you ignore their race, you are not truly seeing them. We can’t practice intersectionality by being colorblind! I think wanting to claim we don’t see color is because we feel uncomfortable knowing how to deal with it. Like Mellody Hobson we have to be comfortable dealing with the uncomfortable process of talking about race. Diversity is 100% a competitive advantage like she explains. I love the term color brave!

2. Michelle Dunham

I am also taking SWK 220 – and this week we were introduced to an article by Peggy McIntosh, “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack.” You can Google and read for yourself; but, I have to say, that it wrecked me. It shattered my conditioned understanding of what privilege is, and the powers that be. My rose colored glasses have been ripped off and incinerated. Hence, everything I read, or view or perceive has a new and fresh, and somewhat painful revelation of my old mindset and a new one that is still in flux.

Bottom line, as we consider being colorblind. Are we blind to the color? Or, is the color blinding us? jusaskin’

• Robi Naranjo

I looked up that article by Peggy McIntosh it was really good!

3. Sarai Gomez

As a woman of color, when I would hear them say, “I don’t see color,” it would make “sense” in theory, but it was something that never made sense to me personally. It was also difficult to express why. One of my ex-partners was so dismissive when I would either point out difficulties I had because I am a woman of color, or when they would say or do offensive things. I would get a lot of “That’s not true, I didn’t see it that way. You’re making yourself the victim,” or, “That never happened. You are exaggerating, looking for an excuse to make this a big deal when it’s not.” As you and the podcast mentioned, it does more harm than good. It excludes and dismisses the experiences we’ve had, making it an uneven playing field.

4. Robi Naranjo

I looked up that article by Peggy McIntosh that was really good!

5. Robi Naranjo

Thank you for sharing those that video by Mellody Hobson, about being color brave, I have places in my life where I see this kind of “colorblindness” going on and all these resources are super helpful on how to even bring up in groups or one on ones, I actually got a chance yesterday haha it was super uncomfortable to both of us, but it is so important to not address and I appreciate the necessity of being brave and to be uncomfortable to see changes.

6. Christine Ryan

Thanks, Jillian for the extra videos. I enjoyed the color brave and giving our children the opportunity to dream of being whatever they want and that they have the right to go for that dream. Loved Mellody’s mother in all her stories. Asking her the raw questions after she went to a class birthday party and when she told her children she was Santa. She did a great job of showing her daughter that even though life can be rough, you should still fight for what you want.