Genuine Pursuit of Social Justice

posted in: Uncategorized | 5

Addressing and Dismantling Systematic Racism & Structural Injustice

Mollie Bernhoft

On this episode of the Bad Faith Podcast host Brianna Joy Gravy is joined by guest Norman Finkelstein for the discussion “Is Ibram X Kendi’s Anti-Racism a scam?” The conversation begins with Brianna’s mention of the allegations of “misuse” and “squandering” of millions in funding for the Center for Anti-Racism. The program, which Kendi was appointed head of is under scrutiny, for the lack of progress made in addressing racism and achievements of goals that were promised to be made. This scandal has Kendi under fire for these allegations, due to claims of the program’s mismanagement and the concentration of power in his position, some critics are looking to assign blame to Kendi. 

Bad Faith Host Brianna

Guest Norman Finkelstein

In this conversation Finkelstein criticizes and questions “Anti-Racism” and begins by criticizing and questioning Kendi's role as head of the program and his position at the forefront of the “Anti-Racist” discussion and its movement. He calls into question the quality of Kendi's work and the academic standards of his writings, suggesting that it lacks depth and academic rigor in its analysis of historical and contemporary racial dynamics. Finkelstein and Brianna both agree that there are plenty of other more qualified candidates than Kendi, which then raises the question of “Why him?”. Finkelstein mentions that Kendi and “Anti-Racism” are surprisingly supported by “woke contemporary right-winged people”, their infatuation plus his lack of credentials suggests that he was elected for “show” not “to take action”.   He continues by bluntly stating “Kendi… is stupid, they” (referring to those who elected him) “...like stupid people, because it’s easy to control them.” He believes Kendi is aware of his inadequacy and his academic endeavors/career and refusal to debate or have open conversations is evidence of this. He claims it is also evidence of the absence of academia and scholarship in regard to not only his credibility/legitimacy but “Anti-Racism” and its movement. 
For the rest of this blog post, I am just going to focus on Finkelstein’s oppositions and critiques of “Anit-Racism”, because the inclusion of the whole conversation will result in a post that takes more time read than the time taken listening to the podcast itself.
Finkelstein views the framework of anti-racism to be market driven, its commercialization and capitalization suggest ulterior motives driven by market forces and profit. He argues that the ulterior motives of the “anti-racism” movement undermines its effectiveness and detracts from meaningful efforts to address systematic racism. 
He believes that Kendi’s approach is concentrated on the attitudes and behavior of individuals while neglecting structural economic issues. The framework's emphasis on personal responsibility and individual actions is easily manipulated to be market-driven and fails to address the root causes of racial oppression. 
He professes that true progress in combating racism requires addressing systematic inequalities and structural barriers that perpetuate economic injustice, and anti-racism efforts should prioritize challenging economic structures, such as wealth inequality, labor exploitation, and discriminatory policies, which disproportionately affect marginalized communities.

As prompted by the instructor, let’s discuss how we can incorporate Finkelstein’s ideas and a take more critical approach as a revolutionary social worker, and how to ensure anti racism efforts are genuinely transformative rather than performative. We should center marginalized voices in the anti-racism discussion by actively seeking/listening to input from the perspective of those directly impacted by racism and oppression, using their insights when developing and implementing anti racism efforts/interventions. Social workers can address the structural economic issues that perpetuate racial oppression by advocating for policies and practices that promote economic justice, like equal access to resources, fair wages, affordable housing, and quality education for everyone. The critical examination of power dynamics within society should include our role as social workers as well, recognizing the influence of privilege and oppression on individual and collective experiences. This involves challenging dominant narratives and systems of oppression while actively working to dismantle barriers to equity and inclusion. In our professional practice, we must go above and beyond, striving to build genuine solidarity with oppressed communities. This can be achieved by inclusion and active engagement in a collective action, advocacy, and as the role of an ally when addressing systemic oppression/injustices. 

5 Responses

1. Robi Naranjo

I appreciate this episode because anything important should be able stand up to debate, be challenged and scrutinized. Especially when there is so much money involved and to see all the moving parts. With our current American culture and media and “influencer culture” things can be very performative and grandstanding is common, everyone wants to be a good guy, but the roots are never addressed or healed. While leaving the same injustices standing. You wrote “We should center marginalized voices in the anti-racism discussion by actively seeking/listening to input from the perspective of those directly impacted by racism and oppression, using their insights when developing and implementing anti racism efforts/interventions.” Thats good.

2. Ian Miller

You said that, “The framework’s emphasis on personal responsibility and individual actions is easily manipulated to be market-driven and fails to address the root causes of racial oppression”, and it is so very true. I have heard a lot about the work of Kendi, and the anti-racist movement, and I have heard a lot of criticisms about his work. But this was the first criticism I heard from left leaning activists that actually concerned with the damage that his work is doing. I am definitely one that took anti-racist at surface level and appreciated the concept behind it without critically thinking it through that Kendi’s ideology is potentially counterproductive

• Ian Miller

I forgot to mention, I really liked your post and in reading your blog I decided that I had to listen to the podcast. Thank you very much for you blog!

3. Trinity Podbicanin

I like your post’s layout; I have not seen one like that, it looks good! I agree with what you said about incorporating Finkelstein’s ideas and that “We should center marginalized voices in the anti-racism discussion by actively seeking/listening to input from the perspective of those directly impacted by racism and oppression, using their insights when developing and implementing anti racism efforts/interventions.” I think this is important in understanding all viewpoints and allowing everyone to feel heard. Both Norm and Brianna have their own views, and as seen through the blog, they had disagreement. For example, with the question, why are so many people invested in Kendi? They went back and forth for a while and eventually moved on. They both got their points out and were heard. Overall, your blog was good; you provided some of the discussion that went on throughout the blog, and you explained your end view in taking a more critical approach as a revolutionary social worker well.

4. Elizabeth Jackson

Hi, Mollie,
    Reflecting on the podcast episode from the Bad Faith Podcast, the discussion surrounding Ibram X Kendi’s approach to anti-racism had me reflecting. What I enjoyed was the depth of the critique offered by Finkelstein, not just on the surface-level issues associated with the anti-racism movement but on the deeper, systemic challenges that need addressing. The conversation about the potential commercialization and market-driven aspects of contemporary anti-racism efforts raised important questions about the authenticity and effectiveness of these movements. It is essential to address structural economic issues as a root cause of racial disparities. It is so important that we move beyond individual-level interventions to tackle the systemic barriers that perpetuate inequality. This perspective is a valuable reminder that true change requires a holistic approach, considering both the economic structures in place and the individual actions within those structures. Great blog, I learned a lot!