Rosey Colored Glasses ~ Week 7 Blog

Episode 43: Paths to Wellness | A Dialogue on Healing with Michon Whiterose

Thank you Mishon for your open heart, for building the same within your daughter, and showing her the truth about rose colored glasses. END

1. Neveah Reese

Keeping that inner child is so important. Important enough that part of our rubric for our blog is to tap into it! Without embracing it, or working towards it, the world is dull. I believe that having a young mother through my childhood was hard because of this. She was so caught up in taking care of her babies, that she didn’t stop to think about her own healing. As Whiterose and Stettler share, there is a way to heal this inner child with your children.

I loved this podcast and hearing Whiterose share her story was so grounding!

• Michelle Dunham

Right?!?! I have found in most cases of therapy, many of our issues stem from the child within being traumatized or conditioned to react in later situations in some way or other.

The tricky part is resurrecting that inner child. Being their/our own advocate against the obstacles and challenges in front of a mountain worth climbing.

2. Christine Ryan

Mishon is the change she wants to see. She talked about generational trauma and the fact she was never able to reach a good spot with her mother before she passed. Mishon’s father shows up to her house to see her, you can feel the love and encouragement radiating from her father and embarrassing her. With each relationship that ends, she realizes her worth and what she is looking for. Mishon’s daughter seeing her mother choose the best and placing boundaries will help break the generational trauma and set a good example of self-worth.
    I love your blog and that you showcased her empath side and how she now protects that. Her children are lucky to have a mother who will go to bat for them and also know her own worth.

• Michelle Dunham

Her Father! Thank you for threading that into the post! That truly was a precious moment that spoke so deeply of their relationship. I almost cried myself and wished I had done the same for my own daughter. Although…. I still could. (wink wink) she absolutely hates it, and is so embarrassed when I talk about her regardless of what I actually say.

I finally told her, “Like it or Love it I will always want to talk about you! You are my daughter! My precious one! And besides, think about those who do not have a mother that loves them or wants to encourage and support? Let alone talk about them in any kind of positive light. Abandoned. Rejected. And so much worse. So! Let me talk about you and spread the love of my joy of being Your Mother!”

3. Josh Fine

I particularly liked this episode of the podcast. You appear to have really enjoyed it as well and gave a comprehensive breakdown of what Mishon had to say about what she believes as well as who she is as a person and provider. One section that spoke to me was Mishon’s explanation of her caseload. She noted that being expected to engage with 20-30 clients a week can be unfair; both to the provider and the client. This is something that I identify with strongly. I have a large caseload as I am currently the only individual in my role for the agency I am a part of, and I often find that if I allow myself to schedule more appointments than normal, the quality of the appointments may slip. Hearing an LCSW describe this issue and how it has to do with self-care as well, motivates me to be mindful of my time and to make sure I set aside time for myself so that I can better serve the population that I meet with. Keyda is a student in this class and is also the person that trained me for the position I hold now. She always says “You can’t pour from an empty glass,” in regards to serving others while your own needs are not met. Those words resonated throughout this episode, as well. Great blog entry, I really like how many pictures you included and will have to try that in my own in the future.

• Michelle Dunham

Hi Josh! Thank you for threading in her story about the high caseload. I work at the VA in Mental Health and do all the scheduling. I cannot tell you how many we have had to turn away or refer out with a lengthy wait such as 4-6 months before they can receive any mental health assistance. It really breaks my heart that we don’t have the staff to cover the need. And yes, the staff we do have are overworked and underpaid.

This is where our chance to advocate within the political arena gets some fuel. The varied level of need within the health care system is at an all time critical high.

With our post-COVID society still experiencing the domino effect of systemic shutdowns, I could argue that mental health needs are greater than ever and increasing, as I can testify.

4. Annalee White

Michelle!

This blog hits home for me because not only do I have a son, but I also have two daughters and three younger sisters. Sometimes sharing our feelings and empathy can be scary and daunting, and not everyone is grateful for receiving it. I know from personal experience that sometimes you feel unworthy or on the back burner of being who you are, and sometimes you just need someone in your corner to say “You be you!”

• Michelle Dunham

Are you a Princess too!!!! (wink wink)

5. Deandra Nicholai

Michelle, what a beautiful blog! You did an amazing job writing this and telling the story. It is very important to remember your inner child. Our inner child can heal our past traumas and I believe that because I have been through a whole lot. Thank you!