Breathe, Just Breathe

Often times in life we get so caught up in the moment that we forget to breathe. The breath is so important to us, without it there is no life. Zenia Mihevc BSW, MSW, RSW Founder and Clinical Director of A Little Zen, spoke often about the importance of breathing and how so many times people forget to breathe. During a podcast “Unearthing the Human Core with Zenia: A Little Zen, Storytelling, and Forest Therapy” Christine Stettler started talking about breathing and while he was talking it reminded Zenia to breathe. When Zenia was sharing this with Christine, it reminded me to breathe. Sometimes we all need to be reminded to just stop and breathe. I feel like this whole podcast touched on a lot of Revoluntionary Social Work.

Zenia and Christine shared about being outside and getting deep inside themselves. Soaking in all the noices around and really letting them set within them. The beautiful sounds of birds as well as the stillness of the moment. Taking this all in to the point of feeling yourself at a different level. I think we can all probably relate to this very thing, where you have been outside and just soaked up the moment.

“GET OUTSIDE TO GET INSIDE”

1. Sean McCrossin

To me this blog helped remind me that life comes at you quick and I think the reason we need reminders like this is due to our attempt to adapt. However if we take things slower we remember that we can make better decisions and overall become happier. So I appreciate reading your blog to get your thoughts as well as Zenia’s.

• Sharla Huckabey

Sean,
      Thank you for your words. Sometimes, it is hard to slow down and take it all in. This definitely could help us make better decisions.

2. Michelle Dunham

Forget to breathe? Or like when a child tries to hold their breath until they get their way?

Yes, we do need to check our capacity. Our lives as Social Workers will be a tightrope balancing act of checks and balances. Too much or too little oxygen will make you pass out either way. We must find our own balance. But my balance may not be your balance.

If you put one of the Seattle Seahawks linebacker on a see-saw and my 2 year old niece on the other side? I sincerely doubt you would find much balance…

• Sharla Huckabey

Michelle,
      Thank you for your words.
      Yes, just like when a child intentionally holds their breath.
      One must find their balance, which will differ from anyone else.

3. Deandra Nicholai

After reading this blog, I took a minute to stop and breathe. I am reminded by m Elder grandpa to take my time to breathe and start fresh. Sometimes it is important to take our time and even take a break.
    I also just learned about Forest Therapy reading this blog. As a Native in the Yup’ik community, it is important to us to connect with the nature and the outside world. It is a way of healing when we get out in the vast tundra. Connecting and talking to someone outside during a walk is also a way of healing within yourself and together.
    Thank you for reminding me to take a breath.

• Sharla Huckabey

Deandra,
      Thank you for your response to my blog.
      I can appreciate the importance of connecting with nature. I used to always run around barefooted, and my granny would always say that was the Indian coming out of you, meaning I wanted to be grounded to the earth.

4. Alex Beaudouin

I also enjoy walking in the woods. I never thought about it as forestry therapy. I think it would benefit all of us to immerse ourselves in nature and spend time in forests to improve our overall well-being. While reading studies about it I can definitely say that it offers various health benefits, including reduced stress, improved mood, enhanced immune system, and increased creativity.

• Sharla Huckabey

Alex,
      Yes, getting out into the forests can be healing to the mind, body, and soul.

5. Robi Naranjo

I love this episode and topic. Grounding or “earthing,” as some call it, has had crazy benefits, and our bodies are bioelectric. I noticed when I would have bipolar episodes and mania, where my mind would be going a million miles an hour, hearing voices and stuff, I would get barefoot and go ground myself outside, and it would go silent, and I would be able to quiet my brain, especially at the beach. It worked better than any pharmaceutical I’ve ever taken for mental health. It’s crazy. And if you think most footwear before 1960 was natural material, it makes you wonder if grounding has more of an effect than we think.

6. Maren Chaffee

In this podcast and blog, I was reminded about the importance of mindfulness and spending time outdoors. I can easily get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life, work, and other responsibilities, often neglecting to pause, connect with nature, and be present in the moment. I’m considering taking up cold plunges in the ocean as a way to achieve this, but regardless, I am committed to making time for daily forest walks and practicing breathing exercises.