Advocating for Alaska Native Advancement

First Alaskans Institute’s (FAI) mission is to uplift and advocate for Alaska Native peoples. The quote above taken directly from their website indicates their commitment to the perpetuation of Alaska Native culture for the next 10,000 years. In order to support this mission, the nonprofit organization has developed a number of programs, services and resources.

• Alaska Native Policy center
  • Summer Internship program
  • Indigenous Leadership Continuum
  • First Alaskans magazine featured to the right

FAI hosts an Elder and Youth Conference each year as well as the Howard Rock & Ted Stevens Smokehouse Gala.

Learn more about the Gala by watching this short video.

Alaska Native peoples have access to an inherent knowledge and wisdom that comes from the relationship developed with the land. FAI implies that this knowledge and its perpetuation is beneficial not only to Alaska Native culture but that of all Alaskans. FAI is founded upon the foundation of taking care of the earth and our families. The values of Indigenous cultures–taking care of the earth and each other–naturally counteracts society’s capitalistic call for individualistic consumption. Browsing through FAI’s website there is a clear sentiment of the necessity for Alaska Native peoples to persist and for their knowledge and relationship with Alaska to continue. This cannot happen unless we respect and acknowledge Indigenous culture.

In demonstrating respect to Alaska Natives we naturally extend respect to other marginalized groups. Part of respect involves acknowledgement, that is not only admitting to the existence of that group, but taking responsibility for your relationship with that group. In order for a social work setting to remain anti-racist it must accommodate and advocate for the marginalized and oppressed regardless of their race. Intersectionality factors in exposing the complexities of oppression across these groups.

The First Alaskans Institute does trainings and administers discussions where a variety of topics can be discussed including ANDORE. Alaska Native Dialogues on Racial Equity or ANDORE seeks to address the rampant racism in our society by facilitating difficult conversations about racism. They strive to adjust the perspectives we have about race and advance to a more empathetic community and society.

It is extremely important that policies and decisions being made about a group of people, be directed by those people. To try and speak to someone else’s experiences is insincere and harmful. It is also better that the ones that likely will be affected by a decision should have a say. Ensuring a group is equitably represented in a conversation reminded me of a TED talk. Lilly addresses the issue of organizations saying that they are being inclusive and respectful of cultures by giving them a “seat at the table”. Giving them a “seat at the table” is akin to inviting them to assist on a project using tools that already haven’t worked in their favor, Lilly talks about building an entirely new table as a potential solution.

Alaska Native Peoples should be on the forefront of decisions made about Alaska, as it is the home of their ancestors. Though, at times these are difficult conversations to have they are among the most important in our pursuit of dismantling racism. I believe that the important thing to do as social workers, or even individuals is to examine what ways you benefit from privilege. In order to promote anti-racism in the realm of social work you need to speak from a place borne not of privilege but with respect that there is an inherent wisdom that passed down via the traditions of Indigenous people. A large part of social work involves removing the lingering effects colonization has had on Indigenous people. It is important to also understand that hostility most often comes from fear and uncertainty. In order to open up the channels of communication you must address that issue first and build trust.

That does not exclude ourselves. We must also remember to prioritize our health, because when we cannot help ourselves we cannot help others. It’s important to address the work of healing for yourself and for your clients. Advocacy is about giving voice to people that have not been allowed to participate in the creation of systems and rules that are not in their benefit. Once given a voice, its important that we listen and prioritize communication. We must constantly be educating ourselves as social workers to maintain an anti-racist environment. First Alaskans Institute works toward that common goal of an equitable and anti-racist environment using the voice and resources of the Indigenous Alaska Native population.

1. Sharla Huckabey

Jas, thanks for your informational blog. I call it this because I learned a lot from it. I have heard about the First Alaskan Institute but never knew much about it. I appreciate the information you shared.
    I have been honored to attend many Youth and Elders Conferences. One of my annual trips involves attending the conference with elders from our region. As the Director of Elder Service at a Native Association, I always make sure this trip is budgeted for so we can take our elders.

• Jas Stokes

Sharla,

I’m glad you were able to glean information from it, the organization and all it does is really quite remarkable. That’s awesome that you have had the opportunity to attend the conference multiple times! If Festival of Native Arts is anything like the conference I’m sure it is an enriching event. Every FNA I’m overwhelmed by a sensation I cannot begin to explain, the energy generated at the event always makes me feel closer to this land. I am grateful for these experiences and really encouraged to hear that you are maintaining a commitment to ensuring your elders are able to attend. Working in that department, I’m sure you hear many elders talk about their desire to pass on the culture, language and wisdom of their people and that is a great opportunity for them to do so.

2. Mel Maendel

I really liked your blog it was well said and formatted, and it was a blog that I ended up learn a lot from. I also like that the First Alaska’s Institute has a wide scope on what they are working on and stand for. Not only do they strive to help Alaska Natives but also other minority groups which I feel is very important.